iPhone Ticket to Ride - (by the devs of 'Small World for iPad')

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 17, 2011.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ah, perhaps it wasn't ranked. I did join the game via the lobby, but I may not have noticed if it was ranked or not. That's probably it. That brings up another thing I forgot about. When creating a game in the lobby, there appears to be no way to set the number of players. Am I just missing it, or is that really not there?

2. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Ya I can't figure it out. There are clearly games that set the limit of players though because there is an icon in the lobby for number of players, I think they might be people with a pc. I just put the number of players in the description for games I create and start it when the desired number are in the room.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well, you can limit it when creating a game from the main window. I mean where you start a local vs AI game, but instead choose Online. You just can't seem to do it from the lobby. From the main window it seems you can't change the title of the game, though. Actually I never tried tapping the title it puts there - maybe if you tap that you can do it. Anyway, it's just weird that you can't do that from the lobby. Hopefully they fix that in an update.

The app gets a 4 star rating from me, not 5, until they A) fix the glitches and quirks and B) add pass-and-play. Great app, yes, but could be better. Gets 5 stars once it is.

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

It's too bad the lobby is so confusing. I haven't really checked it out for myself (other than glancing at it), so I can't say for sure what DoW was thinking.

What's interesting is that the lobby is dead-easy when you go through the PC/Mac version. Everything is right there in front of you and easy to figure out: how to start a game, players' karma, how many players you want, how many bots, etc., etc. A child could start a game with no trouble at all.

It sounds like DoW needs to take a hard look at the iPad lobby, soon-ish.

5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I love it when it's the last turn in an epic multiplayer match, and then the server disconnects me.

"No, it's ok, I didn't really want to know if I won or anything."

6. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Well, two of my questions were just answered.

I was in a MP game and at one point the deck did not show up. It was not my turn, though. Then the deck popped back up. I assumed it was a bug.

I also played a game but my rank and # of games did not change. I guess I had selected a non-ranked game.

7. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    info please

I'm trying to enter a game from the lobby that shows for beginner's only, 5 slots, two black, one gray and two white. There is nothing on the right while all the other games have a minus symbol. Anyways, I try and join and nothing happens. Can anyone explain the various symbols or offer documentation that does? Thanks. :confused:

8. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i think there is a bug with counting the number of tickets you opponents have:

I just played someone online. Right before the scores were determined, it displayed 26 as my opponents number of tickets. After the scores were counted, my opponent had 11 complete tickets and 5 incomplete: thats 16 not 26? Can someone verify?

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If there is a trophy it's a ranked match. I would have guessed that nothing there means unranked and a minus meant a private match, but I'm not sure. If it worked you should end up in a cute little virtual game room. You see an avatar there for each person who has joined. Once all the seats are filled the person who created the game then starts it.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Are you sure you weren't looking at his score? 26 is an awful lot of tickets.

11. TheDukester

Never heard of 26 tickets, ever. I've played for years and I rarely go over 10 (or see any other players do so). Hell, the basic game only uses 30 tickets total.

There's no way someone had 26 tickets, unless they were totally dicking around for no good reason and drawing two tickets every turn.

12. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    no this person was drawing an immense amount of tickets that for sure. I wasnt counting exactly how many during the game but for a while he was taking 2 ever turn for about 5 turns at least. I thinking maybe it skipped from 09 to 20? Do you think there could be a glitch with the tens place? cuz it said 26 and he ended with 16

13. TheDukester

I think this is 1,000% more likely than someone actually having 26 tickets.

And, thankfully, I don't think it's a universal glitch. I've hit the 10s column a few times and never seen any problems. I had a bot take 11 tickets the other day, too.

14. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Small World and this: both US$6.99...which one should I buy first? Wifie does not incline much on the world domination thing so I guess I place this higher than Small World...

15. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Lobby

Is there any documentation anywhere that explains how the lobby works re joining games?

Thanks.

16. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Ticket to Ride is much more polished, but it doesn't have local multiplayer. If you don't need this feature, get Ticket to Ride and all IAPs ASAP. It's by far my favorite iPad board game.

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Not sure about that cause I was playing one (free) version of Ludo with wifie during the last trip on 1 iPad -- no network needed, not fuss, and a lot of fun.

18. TheDukester

Both are pretty nice games, but TtR is probably better for most wives/girlfriends/significant others/non-gamers/whatever.

Also keep in mind: Both have decent AI, but their approaches to multiplayer aren't the same at all. Small World has no online component at all, whereas the multiplayer fuction is a big part of the TtR experience.

Finally, Small World has a fairly vertical learning curve until you get used to most of the races and powers (after that, it's a breeze). TtR is dead-simple; I could teach an orangutang to play it.

19. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Glitch?

There are a few places with only one gray double track. Supposedly, you can use any color on a gray track right? So, someone uses green on two of the double one-track spaces and I can't play any color card, even a locomotive on the other double one track space!

Is that right?

20. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I think double tracks can only be used when playing with 4 or more players. Otherwise, the first person who gets there, gets the route. Do you recall how many players were in the game?

In the Europe map, there are stations which allow you to use another player's route. But as was discussed a few pages back, stations are kind of confusing and people tend to play without them.