Is cute game better?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Zeanee, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Zeanee

Zeanee Active Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Hi,all.
    I want to develop a game on the iphone. In my research, most game of top100 are so cute. Is the cute graphic game better ? Would you give me some suggestions?

thx for your helps
    best regards

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I do think I would be liking it also, thanks!

3. Jasper Flick

Jasper Flick Member

Jan 17, 2011
    indie kitty
    Amsterdam
    Cute sure seems to do well in the casual market, but "kid-safe" is important too. I'm afraid you won't get as far with a cute bloody serial killer as with a cuddly critter that eats candy. Cute zombies that eat candy brains might work though...

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It worked for Battle Bears! :D

5. Lt. Action

Lt. Action Well-Known Member

AWWYEAH! UPTOP! *killerhighfive*

Word.

Also, to avoid tooting my own horn and walking out of this thread (like a boss) I'll throw in my opinion, for whatever it's worth*

I think it has a lot less to do with how "cute" the art is and more to do with how... "accessible" it is and how it fits with the feeling of the game it's in. Angry Birds would not have done half as well as it has if the birds were all photo-realistic bird lumps and all the pigs were veiny, fleshy pig nubs with deep, black, soulless eyes. On the other hand, if it were "Precious Moments" cute, it would also suffer because that *****'s creepy.

"Where's Waldo" isn't that cute, but its style is clear and cohesive across the board and Jelly Car 3, in my opinion, is uggers but the style of it fits the narrative and makes sense.

I think you should really let the type of game dictate the style of art you choose, not the other way around. Wind Waker (bestgameever) would have been EXTREMELY off-putting if its aesthetic was treated like Twilight Princess', for example. Forcing one aspect to work is going to hurt the other. Ying Yang it, as it were ;D

*the exchange rate on my opinion to real dollars is the same as leprechauns to unicorns.

6. Zeanee

Zeanee Active Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for your help.
    I'll try my best to make a balance between gameplay and graphics.

7. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Pigs?

Ha! It appears you a certain disdain for swine.

' veiny, fleshy pig nubs with deep, black, soulless eyes '

M@

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I fully agree with Lt. Action, but I think the advice can be best summed up by a single phrase: avoid blandness. A game that has a personality will always do better than one that doesn't. Obviously the style should fit the gameplay, but it's just as important that your aesthetic choices are memorable.

9. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Whenever I read your posts I do the happy dance. Hysterical sir, hysterical.

10. astralucid

astralucid Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Yeah, I think so too, most likely because the cute graphic can target a larger audience. I also notice that cute icon will get more clicks on appstore. Iconic and cute character on casual game like angry birds, tiny wings, or megajump will boost your visibility on appstore if you hit top 200 IMHO.

11. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #11 FancyFactory, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    For a good reason my next casual game will follow these 4 rules:

1) a VERY easy, one-touch-one-finger gameplay where you do not need any tutorial or manual for
    2) a CUUUUUUUTE, funny and good marketable main protagonist with a name
    3) short gameplay sessions and a lot of "positive feeling" events and rewards
    4) app size below 20MB so anybody can download the game without WiFi

an optional rule #5 is: universal app with Retina, iPad and GameCenter support - but this depends on #4.

This is especially true for simple, casual games. At least based on my experience. Of course this works not for every game - a cute chainsaw zombie? ;) But for sure for games that target a younger audience as well (4 years+).

12. Zeanee

Zeanee Active Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Your suggestions are very nice to me.
    Deeply grateful!:D

13. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Cute but not too cute. Like battleheart, which I like. Too cute may look like childish/girly. Men, boys may avoid.

14. psykano

psykano Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Student
    Canada
    I don't think the main factor is "cute". I think the main factor is "simplistic yet detailed" which almost always points towards vector art.

15. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    Yes yes cute is good. Very good. And plot/storyline/whatever, but it depends on the genre.

Whatever the style is, try to make it professional? Like, how should I said it?, hmm integrated well? You don't want to have your character a 3D looking good hero but your background is blurry and bland. Do not make it like every aspects of the game was copy pasted from different games. Try to make it themed.

Okay, forget it, I think psykano explain it better.

16. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Axeman makes some great suggestions with those 4/5 points.

I offer no advice as a relative newcomer other than investing in your artwork is key.

What are you thinking as far as game goes because that will actually help define what type of cuteness you need.

17. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Also focus on the iPhone, iPad doesn't get anywhere the downloads, and polish polish polish....!!!

18. sixthturn

sixthturn Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Definetely! U know cute games or casual games are more qppealling to popularities due to their simple and clear background and vids.For those who are under pressure, cute games are more in an advantage!I personally like cute games as well,both men and women, young and old can play it !:D

19. terencefish

terencefish Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I would prefer cute ones. Because when you get to know a game for the first time, the impression of the graphic will be the most important thing to attract players and cute ones have advantages. Besides, in general, the very good players is much less than the average level ones who cares less of the design or deeper levele of a game. They just wanna kill time and play for fun. They don't look for some games exactly but just browse some and choose one, Cute design will be more attractive under this situation. And it seems the female game players are becoming more and more who would definitely be attracted by a cute character. So I would prefer cute ones. Just personal opinion.

20. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    I like cute game, and I'm trying to create one. Here is a shot of my upcoming game. I think the big problem is to find the good balance so the cutness doesn't pull out the mature audience.

JC

[​IMG]