Ajouter / Hilfe / etc. - translation help needed! :)

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Carlos, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
  2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I can help you with German - for free.

3. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    dys offers an excellent professional service for a very good price.
    they're official partners of some major companies, but their prices are affordable for most of us. i've met them during the wwdc 2010 (they're so into iphone stuff).

here you can find more info: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=47031

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010

Well, I am a native German speaker and it won't cost a cent.

My thread about translations is here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=38758

My last job was the German translation of "Wordsworth", I finished that job a few days ago.

5. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Thanks for the quick feedback!

@Vovin: this is very generous from your side, however I don't expect you do it for free completely. Let's discuss the details in private, but at least please accept some promo codes (if you can/want to use them at all).

Btw, I made a german translation for Libra Balance (not "google translate" :D), but it probably needs some "adjustments". :) You can check it out in the german AppStore: http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/libra-balance/id329758637?mt=8

@SilverJosh: thanks, I already contacted dys, he will probably help me out with the japanese translation.

6. Silver Josh

Oct 12, 2008
    ah, that's great, but I was referring to professional, multilingual, translation services.

of course it's great to have your app translated for free, but we've had terrible experiences in the past.

it happened that some amateur translators offered their services here on touch arcade and we gave it a try (some of them keep doing it). well, got all of them after a few hours and double checked with Google Translate. Sadly they were full of bad words, both German and Japanese translations.

what would happen if we updated our iTunes description? that would be ashaming...

i'm not saying you're bad or you're going to do something similar. I'm sure you're great and your German is perfect, but I'm not able to judge.

when I invest on my business, I want to be sure I'm getting a perfect job and, if I get complaints from users, I want someone to pay for this and take its responsabilities.

this is why we prefer to spend some little money for a professional service rather than contacting amateurs translators one by one.

sorry for being harsh. :)
    nothing against you, of course.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

O.k., waiting for your PM - I'll send you my e-mail, too - makes the contact easier.
    Btw.: I do AppStore translations and also in-game translations, whatever you wish. Did quite a bunch of jobs 'til now, so I can prove that I am professional and serious.

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    I agree with you, SilverJosh, especially if one cannot check whether the translation was ok.

Vovin: PM goes within a minute. Thanks again!

9. Silver Josh

Oct 12, 2008
    I know what you're referring to. I read the other thread.

Just to make things clear: the Touch Arcade user "dyscode" has nothing to do with DYS translations... :D

dyscode: http://www.dyscode.com
    DYS: Translations: http://www.dystranslations.com

10. Silver Josh

Oct 12, 2008
    Yes. Obviously I recommend you to double check each translation you get (Google Translate), either it's done by an amateur translator or a translations firm.

Services on touch arcade are like a minefield. you never know what you get.

11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Oh, I see: this was a misunderstanding from my side.
    Btw, google translate does a word to word translation, and it might screw everything up even if the translation was actually correct. I would not rely on it except for very simple texts.
    If you e.g. translate the same text from say hungarian to english, then back to hungarian, you usually receive something different from the original text (depending on the complexity of the phrase).

12. MJE

MJE New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    translation

I can do the Spanish translations - you realize, of course, that some of the words in your game descriptions are not going to translate well, if at all, to other languages...just the way it is... so, compromises on language/specific words will have to be agreed upon... I teach Spanish, have taught K - university, have a Master's Degree in teaching FL...

if you're interested, write back..

MJE

13. MJE

MJE New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    absolutely, on-line translation services are, at best, a reference to be investigated adn triple checked...

14. MJE

MJE New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    translation

so, think about it and let me know :)

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Could you please PM me some pricing details? Thanks!

16. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I could help you with translating one of your games into Russian, if you wish of course, there even is Russian appstore!
    You can contact me via pm and I will do it for free just for a name in credits or whatever else you might offer.