Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    #201 adamphetamine, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    Sacred odyssey was cracked easily even with iap. All people had to do was change their udid and download some files then copy them to the right folder and wham...it's done. All it takes is for one cracker to buy game then it's out in pirate land. I dont condone piracy at all and I think it sucks for devs. But I do support jailbreaking and I like the new gameloft model, it's easier to try and get the game with only one download.

2. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Quit worrying about piracy, it doesn't affect you.
    This model is Demoware, or Trialware. The purpose is to allow everyone to trial the game before purchasing, without having to create and manage two different SKUs in the store.

As for JB, i resent the above un-informed comment. The primary purpose is to give the iDevice more capabilities.

3. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #203 Ezak, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    I agree, first jailbreak allowed custom ringtones, then came the third party apps etc...
    Jailbreak is awesome, it is.
    But it is now (and has been for years) tainted by piracy, and there is a reason people confuse the two.

Let's not derail this thread though, wtb impressions and videos :D

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Unlocking the content of the IAP is as easy as coppying a few files onto the device. Yes, it is harder than without IAP, but without IAP there would atleast be the option to just buy the game.

5. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    I browse thru this thread hoping to read some impressions but was greeted instead by another round of IAP ranting.

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, that easily cracked? A shame.

As for my other question... what prevents pirates from actually buying the game?

7. VinzClortho37

VinzClortho37 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #207 VinzClortho37, Feb 16, 2011
    Seriously, people... do shut up about IAP and piracy.

I'd venture a guess that most people on these boards are more interested in the games themselves, rather than these two obnoxious, beating-a-dead-horse topics. Please... STOP CLOGGING THESE THREADS WITH THESE POINTLESS FIGHTS.

Ok... so, it sounds like the game plays and controls smoothly. Can't wait!

8. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Are you serious?

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks IMNS.

10. Der-Kleine

You just can't buy IAP because "the account isn't in a sandbox enviroment" or something like that.

11. Axidrain

Axidrain Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    well they're not buying any other games or apps anyway so not really an issue

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #212 Ayjona, Feb 16, 2011
    Ah, simply resolved by temporarily uninstalling the libraries related to downloading and syncing pirated apps (and while yer at it, former pirates gone legitimate buyers, leave them off yer device ;) ). The initial post gave me the impression Gameloft had come up with a way to detect the jailbreak, and prevent the IAP, which would have been a very peculiar and non-constructive way to prevent piracy ;)

A damn shame the IAP model in Sacred Odyssey and Starfront is so easily circumvented. For a while, I had hopes iOS piracy would be a thing of the past.

I didn't ask whether they had an incentive to buy. I asked what technical issue might prevent them from buying, as that was the discussion in question before our posts were moved to this thread.

13. Der-Kleine

Apple has a detection for jailbreaks in iBooks 1.2.1, but that's not quite the thing they should prevent (just jailbreaking is fine!)

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Agreed! There is a fix for the iBook issue now, by the way.

Without jailbreaking, I would not own an iDevice (though iOS 3 and 4 have gone a long way towards addressing the problems I jailbreak to bypass), but an Android instead.

That is why I had such high hopes for Gameloft's IAP model. Jailbreaking without piracy would be the perfect marriage of convenience, power and usability, while still ensuring that developers maximise their profits.

15. *Sincere*

*Sincere* Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    U.S.A.
    #215 *Sincere*, Feb 16, 2011
    To everyone complaining about impressions of Starfront Collision THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD! This is a Gameloft IAP Discussion thread! Does Gameloft release these apps on Android, if so can they use the same IAP model on Android?

16. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I assume those posts were moved here from the Starfront thread (probably by INSM).

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Can you gift an IAP? If I want to directly gift Starfront to someone is that possible? Not a big deal, just curious.

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I don't think so, because all I see is an option to gift a app.

19. Der-Kleine

I'm quite sure you can't.

20. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    and by posting this it becomes even more apparent dont you think? also how do you know this is wham and its done? is this a thread on discussing gameloft's iap or different ways apps can be cracked? judging by the comment on your profile i'm assuming the latter.