Game Center stats not making sense

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by worldalpha, Aug 2, 2012.

1. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Ok for my new game WorldAlpha Sniper, I have had over 15,000 free downloads, but when I look at the All Time leaderboard at Game Center there are only 25 scores. What is this so low?

2. Simengie

Simengie Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    I normally see 2.5 to 3 downloads for each game center account. From discussing with other devs this is pretty common ratio. So in your case I would consider the following:

1. People are exiting the game before the game ends so no score is reported.
    2. Have you checked the Sandbox Game Center and made sure they are not stuck in there?
    3. People download and never play the game.
    4. You used a service to get ranked and said service is bot downloading your game.
    5. Your Game Center code is broke badly as in does not report under every endgame possibility.

Having the proper metrics is critical. Did you use any metric gathering tools? If you did, did you report on each "Play Game" button press from your main menu?

Lots of possiblities but I would tend toward broke code / people not finishing / bot downloads from a ranking service.

Hope this helps.

3. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's a lot of downloads, sounds weird. How much of the game does the person have to play to have the game post to the leaderboards? Are they quitting before that happens?

Also adding analytics to your code would help you answer what most ppl are doing in your game.

4. worldalpha

worldalpha Active Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Thanks for the tips. It turns out that I was in Sandbox mode, and wasn't seeing all the stats. Now that I have that fixed I have another issue/question.

Free Version
    20,725 downloaded
    6,225 Top scores in Game Center All Time

This seems about right.

Full Paid Version
    243 Purchased
    16 Promo codes handed out
    2,964 Top scores in Game Center All Time

How is this possible with Paid version? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Likely pirated copies.