Extremely poor sales, what's next?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Apr 30, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

My game 'Vector Rally' been out for almost a week now and there is no secret, had very poor sales - sold ~60 copies in total and probably will be selling 0-2 copies from now on.

Responses from players are positive (talking about official thread on TA), unless of course they are lying, but don't see the reason why would they do so. :)

My question is, what would you do next? Should I just forget it and move on? I want to do few upgrades just to say thanks to existing customers, but then again I can't spend too much time on it either.

Or should I try and make this game better somehow? Functionality wise it already has WiFi and Bluetooth multiplayer, but looks like nobody cares about this. (won't do local multi player support in upcoming games, big mistake!)

Also, should I release lite version and drop price to $0.99?

With lite version I'm afraid that 99% of users will play for 10 seconds and then.. WTF is this about?? and leave 1 star review.

Any ideas and criticism is very welcome, want to learn from mistakes!

2. summaecodex

summaecodex Member

Mar 24, 2010
    journalist
    UK
    try everything - but in particular the free promo services such as FreeAppADay, Free Game of the Day etc can help.

Alternatively, think about making it free for a time, while planning updates for when it goes paid again.

You need to create a community about your game.

Plus think about Android, web Flash etc versions

Build buzz

3. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    hey keep your chin up-60 isn't bad, and soon you would have made a profit. I advise you make the app free briefly, allow it to gain some traction, and then reprice it. This has worked for a lot of apps, and I hope it works for you

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I've said it before, but ~60 copies in one week is still better than some folk.
    When you call it "very poor sales" what were you expecting, and why?

Your app is certainly unique, but it doesn't really have mainstream appeal. Niche games tend not to do well in the AppStore, given the way visibility works.

I'm in no position to give you advice - I've put out plenty of apps, but have had only one modest success. Of all the apps I've made, it's probably the one I least expected to catch on. I would suggest to move on. If you do do an update, don't do it with the expectation of improving sales. You've got (relatively) good visibility as a new release. Updates are pretty much invisible except to existing customers. I'd also warn you against going free unless you have a plan in place that will let you capitalize even while remaining free (i.e. you had a second game you wanted to advertise, or an in-app purchase).

5. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks everyone for suggestions!

I completely understand that my game while unique it doesn't have mass market appeal, but for some reason I thought it can still do better than 1-2 sales a day (~60 was from first few days, then dropped to 1-2).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not angry or anything, I knew the risks involved with app store. Only thing I want is to make a little more money (if possible) to fund my next project.

I do an update and will probably include playhaven for cross promotion and also do lite version with one track only. Not sure if lite will do more good than harm though.

I guess at some point I can try free version for a day, but maybe a bit later, whats there too loose anyway? :D

6. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I agree with this completely. An update won't increase sales, and going free without a plan is a bad idea.

Go ahead and release a free version, it can't really hurt sales at this point.

7. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Yes, I understand update won't increase sales, but its a tribute to fans.

What about lite version? Could this work?

I'm thinking release lite version and after a week if it is still crap, then make free a day campaign etc.

8. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I would definitely try a lite first -- what do you have to lose? At the very least you'll have a chance to get your game's name out there to more people.

9. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Yeah, that's what I meant- a light version. The main problem will be getting the proper exposure for the lite version. A 'good' conversion rate will see a 10% purchase ratio. So that means if you want 10 sales, you need 100 free downloads.

Not all games are able to achieve this ratio, but it gives you something to compare.

10. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Ok, got it, I was little confused by 'free' :)

Lite version it is then, it will only take me a a few hours to make (hiding features is way easier than making them).

I don't think it will achieve 10% ratio, but anything above 0% is good :)

Thanks again!

Oh, btw - what do you think, should I leave WiFi / Bluetooth multi player in Lite version? My plan is 1 track only, no global scores/achievements and multi player on shared device only.

What do you reckon?

11. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

I think you should try going on sale at $0.99. Price drops get picked up by many sites, so you'll get a little exposure, plus 99c is the "sweet spot" where many people will buy your game to try what it's about without giving it too much thought.

I'd also work a bit on the game's description. I don't think it's clear enough what the game's about. Your first line (probably the one most people will bother to read, and the only that comes up in iTunes) reads

After reading that, I'd bet most people will go "A turn-based racing what--?" I'd try to keep it simple, like "a racing/puzzle game".

In general, I would try to simplify your game's description and make it more engaging. For example, I'd stay away of justifying the game's name by explaining the cars move according to a vector, as most people probably have no idea what a vector is.

12. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thank you very much ArtCoder, very nice to get second opinion on those things!

Will definitely go trough description again to make it more simple/appealing.

I was wondering about $0.99 price as well, maybe I should time it together with Lite version?

13. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

I'd give it a try right away. Set it at 99c for the weekend and see if sales pick up. What do you have to lose? You can always launch the lite version later.

14. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    I guess you're right, will do sale on weekend, thanks!

15. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    If you're looking to improve your descriptions, emotive words can help get potential players excited.

We have a copy of this book - it's a good read - nice and simple and has plenty of helpful examples: http://www.webcopythatsells.com/. The theories behind it apply to many forms of writing, including game descriptions.

16. LonERecoN

LonERecoN Well-Known Member

Hi OP,

I've been looking at your game and your iTunes page. I'd like to say my first impressions as a 'customer'.

-The price is good. 59p/99c is a great pricing point.
    -The icon isn't that great. I suggest changing this. Maybe try a 3D car graphic. Remember, this is what the customer will see on their homescreen.
    -11.5mb is a good size, people can download the game over 3G.
    -Description is very short. I knwo you're having a sale, but describe the game further, get the customers interested. Why MUST they have this game?
    -Your screenshots are great, they show gameplay. Keep them.

Personally, I'd suggest, changing the Icon, adding a better description and giving out some promo codes for review sites. Then when the exitement of the reviews have worn off, host a 'free for a day' campaign, this will get your app out there.

You can also try a lite version for possibly making your game free with only two race tracks, then use DLC for the rest of the tracks. You could also try holding a competition and the winner gets to design their own track to be in the game.

I hate to admit this, but I had never even heard of your app until I came across this thread. You need to get the name out there.

17. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I had some feedback about 'Ground Effect' (which has never had heart-stopping sales) from a reviewer recently & he suggested that the game's name might be having a negative effect as that, in conjunction with the icon, doesn't make it very clear that it's a racing game. If he's right, then maybe you're suffering from a similar problem. You could do an update & rename the game to something more idiot-proof. I don't think including the word 'racing' would help you as it doesn't look like a typical racing game. But certainly the words 'vector' and 'rally' aren't likely to attract customers either. (I've been told that 'rally' as a racing term is almost unheard of in many territories outside of the UK - I don't know if that's true or not. And as for 'vector', well you lost me there after I turned 14 - so I guess you see the 'Ground Effect' parallels).

If I were you, I'd take some time to really think about what you're offering & try to come up with a game name & keywords that might speak more loudly to potential customers. The other suggestions are good too, & releasing a 2-track lite version sounds sensible (Lonerecon's tip).

On another note, I've had a look at your YouTube video and it left me thinking, "Is that as exciting as it gets?" If it does get any more exciting, I think you should try to convey that by uploading a new video. The trailer music is really nice & if that's the in-game music you could mention it in your description.

We're all learning the ropes together so please don't think I'm being gratuitously critical. :)

Pam

18. CastleSoftware

Apr 25, 2010
    Author/Designer
    UK
    60 sold in one week is probably about the average sales that many developers get. Just due to the very fact that there are too many games on the store, and too many new ones appearing every day.

Dont feel too bad, try a few different things (like the lite option) if after doing a selection of things as those suggested, i think you should make something else. I think the problem for some people is that they have invested so much time and money in one project they cannot move onto something else. So hopefully your not in that group, and you can make something else, because you might have better luck with your next game :)

19. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thank you guys! Lots of good suggestions and ideas to think about!

LonERecoN, really like your idea about organizing competition for user created tracks, will do this on TA forums!

Interesting about icon, I personally thought it is pretty cool? Completely agree regarding description, a lot of people are saying that it should be more targeted to groups of players who enjoy puzzle/racing games. Problem is English is my third language so hard to come up with clever words. :D

Pamx, I understand what you mean, thing is name 'Vector Rally' fits the core of the game play so nicely :( Pen & papaer game was also known as 'Racetrack', maybe such name would be better?

Regarding youtube video and excitement, think of it like tetris - cool to play, but hard to show why is it cool. But I'll think of something, maybe I can make video a little better.

CastleSoftware, thanks for encouragement! :) Not really feeling bad, just trying to find ways to get people interested in my game. As LonERecoN mentioned, he didn't know about this game until he found out about this thread.

I'm getting so many good suggestions, maybe it's not all lost yet and I can get nice Vector Rally community going. This would allow me to make online multi player, now that would be super cool! :)

20. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    #20 Marc Vaughan, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
    Definitely look to localise things where possible for different regions, it might be worth doing a different SKU outside of the UK with a name which might be more appealing to people from different countries for sure.

The other thing is to post but not 'spam' about the game on forums where you think there might be an interest - I'd especially suggest the 'sports management game' forums (thats my particular 'niche' of development) - I'm fascinated by the concept you've come up with and I'm sure there'll be cross over interest from other people into sports sims.

I'd recommend posting a one off 'announcement' on the following boards off the top of my head:

Front Office Football Central forum
    sigames.com community forum (Off Topic area)
    Out of the Park developments forums (Off Topic area)

Don't ever 'spam' a forum - but an announcement is generally considered 'acceptable' on a lot of forums and then if you get any interest show your enthusiasm for your game and support it to the best of your ability - its amazing how much far a little active support will go into generating interest in a game.

Finally definitely look at tweaking the keywords if this is your first title, I know my first release the keywords weren't exactly 'perfect' but we'll keep learning and revising them as time goes on.