How many games do you play everyday?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stonery, May 14, 2011.

1. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    To be an eligible game designer, I have to learn quickly and was just wondering what kind of and how many games I should try everyday.

Thus, I want to know the game playing situation of all you guys and girls.
    1. Do you try any new games everyday? How many?
    2. How much time do you spend on playing games everyday?
    3. Do you play certain types of games or in random selection?
    4. From what perspectives do you evaluate a game? or what do you value most in a game?

2. MNoldAr

MNoldAr Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    I am kinda lazy to try new games unless you play it infront of me and it might juic up; if I feel it's fun, I'll grab it immediately. Like last week I was comsuming time on old games and I played Line Runner for most of the free time..

3. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    1) It's a mood thing. There are days when I feel like "shopping around", so I'll try out numerous "Lite" versions, or games that are currently on sale, and days where I'm just content playing my current favourite.

2) When I discovered Pocket Frogs, every free minute. When Rothfuss' latest novel arrived, not at all. In short, it depends on what's going on, mood, interests, etc. :) I couldn't give an average, really. Most of my iPad gaming is in-between work, e.g. while waiting for a call or a response, or when it's projects where I only have to be "there", but not actually do anything. My playing time can thus range from six or more hours a day to zero or just a few minutes.

3) Mostly action puzzlers (including rhythm games), RPGs, board games and strategy titles. But I look at a lot of different genres and have also bought some titles that don't fall into those categories. Games either "grab" me or they don't, it's not so much about the genre but more about design and presentation. Probably goes back a couple decades ago when I was working for some gaming magazines and "had" to play whatever was put on my desk, so there's some tendency to try whatever looks cool or innovative. Innovation's an important aspect -- I like games that try something new rather than just playing it safe and applying tried and proved formulas, though there's nothing terribly wrong with taking a good approach and improving on it, if done right.

Actually, the "done right" part is crucial. Look at, say, Diablo 2. It's been what? 11 years since release, and to date there is no PC title that managed to capture the essence. Some tried, but they all attempted to "improve" it and then got so side-tracked that the resulting games all somehow messed up the core aspects of why Diablo 2 was such a sweeping success and still has tens of thousands of people playing.

4) Before trying or during the trial? For me, it's all about design and presentation, as mentioned above. Games, in order to appeal to me, need to be "not annoying"; in other words, if they are accessible and ease me into the gameplay, I'll continue. If they are bothersome (chaotic menus, tiny buttons, minuscule text, lack of tutorial or obvious gameplay mechanics), I'm quickly done and move on without a second look, unless it's a game I really want to play. I appreciate a nice packaging, which may sound terribly shallow, but yes, I like eye candy and appealing audio. The latter is probably even more important than the former, to me. For RPGs, I value randomization (loot, maps). With so many games available, the time each of them gets to make a good first impression is very limited. (This is in stark contrast to when I was a teen and I would encounter maybe 2-3 games a month, if that, and they'd get all my time, no matter how crappy they were -- it was all I had.)

In the end, though, it's all about fun, and "fun" is hard to definite -- in addition, it's also terribly subjective, so when you design a game, start with your own preferences and work from there, then get a group of testers (or friends) who have an interest in the type of game you're working on. Listen to those folks. I'd try to stay away from academic considerations, e.g. trying to guess what "most people" like, because that may well result in a product that's mediocre on all levels without excelling in any aspect. The appstore is full of them, really. :)

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    1. Depending on what is of interest upon release and not to just my favorite genres but usually will try 5+ lites daily if available before any purchasing is done. The least I buy is one game per day or none and the most apprx 5.

2. An average of 2-4 hrs daily. Weekends I play more.

3. Totally random, I like my genres of games but deviate to others. I like to experiment and always broadening my horizon on gaming.

4. Content and controls are my main criteria but also look at the theme, visuals, difficulty.

5. SoulBlade

SoulBlade Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I use these apps such as freeappaday and daily app dream which are from people who get developers to make their games free for a day. So I end up trying about 3-5 new games a day but I only play em for a few minutes and if I don't like em (usually the case) I delete em.
    Other than that I only get new games when they are games that I want and I have to wait for (BackStab, dream:scape ect)

I usually might play 2-4 games a day. Usually two hours on a long car ride otherwise 1 hour on a normal day.

6. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I play about 1-2 hours a day, The rest of the day i am either a) Working b) writing posts about games or c) On Toucharcade.

7. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    I play about 1-2hours a day too. But I stick to my old games, too lazy to download new ones.:p

8. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    You seem to have frequent long journey.:D

9. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    +1 You can play more than six hours a day?

10. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    #10 stonery, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011
    yeah, broadening horizon on gaming is important to me, so I have to play as many genres of games as possible. But I don't know why I don't like RPG . What I prefer is to have a quick experience of a game. Casual and puzzle ones are my favorite.

11. mkjate

mkjate Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Since I get stuck on Angry Birds, I started to look for new and simple games which are easy and fun. :p

12. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    1. Do you try any new games everyday? How many?
    i try new games everyday, about 2 to 3 each day.

2. How much time do you spend on playing games everyday?
    since i make games, i play games a lot! even though when i was working for another company, i played games for at least 2 hours a day

3. Do you play certain types of games or in random selection?
    random, as long as it is fun.

4. From what perspectives do you evaluate a game? or what do you value most in a game?
    first thing, the art, then, gameplay.

13. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    2-3 a day...what games? oh well, u know...Catch the candy, Land-a Panda, House of mice, Spider Jack, Spoing ecc ecc all game like these..casual type

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I usually only play one game at a time.

15. Mivo

Mivo Well-Known Member

May 10, 2011
    Germany
    On some days, yes. Not every day, and not most days, and I'd not want to, either. :) But it's really not different from reading a new book for 6+ hours a day if you can't put it down and have the time (= can make the time). And it's never uninterrupted time either. If it's not work, it's the lady!

16. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    lol you can play with them together.

17. stonery

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    I find people are always ignorant of the art.

18. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Wow! I play at least 5 hours a day and I work fulltime. On weekends sometimes its an all day thing. The rest of my spare time Im on TA. I really need to get a life. :)

19. Takiyah

Takiyah Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Developer
    Toronto, Canada
    1/2 to a full hour every day, often new. I like games with an end, so that iphone apps aren't the best for that...I buy a new game every few days (can't go wrong for a buck.. well.. not usually wrong), any genre for sure.

20. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    same here im like that i mean i have a few 'casual' games and a few rogue likes but i like rpgs with a kinda goal/end best i probably buy a new game each week maybe more if theres a sale on which is alot of the time :(