iPhone WarPath - Tactical, Turn-Based Tank Game for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WhiskyBiscuit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Main Man @ Whisky Biscuit
    Elgin, Scotland

WarPath is the tactical, simultaneous turn-based tank fighting game for the iPad, where players attempt to outwit their friends in top-down shooting battles. Plan moves, position turrets and plant mines to stop enemy tanks in their tracks (Geddit?).

1-4 players can share one iPad in pass-and-play mode, bringing them all together like a board game, or play alone to test their wits against the AI.

Out 31st March.

http://whiskybiscuit.co.uk

2. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    I was really interested in this game before I saw the video. The music and very low frame rate were a big turn off. Idea is solid, but it needs some work.

3. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

wowza :)

this looks very interesting, it reminds me of the good ole' atari days. keep it up.

4. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Elgin, Scotland
    @NaughtHere the framerate is just to do with the video capture, the game runs far smoother on the device.

What do you dislike about the music and do you have examples of sort of thing you were expecting?

What did you find interesting about it?

5. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Any chance of this coming out for the iPhone market?

6. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Elgin, Scotland
    @steviebwoy yeah we will probably make an iPhone version at somepoint if people want it. It will probably take a bit of time as we change everything to suit the smaller screen.

7. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Great stuff matey, I'll keep an eye out then :)

8. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    Interesting. Do I see correctly that player first plan moves, then the moves are activated simultaneously ala "electric football" or even a bit robo-rallyesqe?

Also, will there by asynchronous online play?

9. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Elgin, Scotland
    @blindspot I don't know those games and google isn't helping me :(.

Yeah what you do is each player ( or the AI player ) plans their moves, then once everybody is done they are all acted out simultaneously, so all the plans happen at once.

For our first release there is only local pass and play multiplayer, we plan on adding asynchronous online play in the near future though. I can't really give you a timescale because it basically depends on how long it takes me to implement it ;).

10. NaughtHere

NaughtHere Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ah, I see. The music in my opinion is overly cheerful and grating, like a marching band had sex with a circus. I think perhaps the extreme cheerfulness combined with the lofi music is a bit obnoxious. Maybe less happy and a bit more epic/dramatic would help. Here are examples more along the line i was thinking.

What I find interesting is everything else, pretty much. Like I said, the concept is great. Is there any kind of campaign, story mode, or progression?

11. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Elgin, Scotland
    @NaughtHere haha nice description of the music ;).

The things the tank can currently do is place mines, and use the wait command which will rotate the turret 360 to try and spot enemies nearby.

At the moment it is just a battle to the death with no story or campaign modes.

We will no doubt add these in a future update, we just wanted to get the game out for people to play, and based on feedback build what players want, rather than what we think you all want :).

12. WhiskyBiscuit

WhiskyBiscuit Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Elgin, Scotland
    WarPath is now released worldwide for iPad, see more at the release thread [thread=89456]here[/thread].