Deepworld: a massively-multiplayer 2D steampunk crafting adventure, coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mklaurence, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mklaurence

mklaurence Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    #1 mklaurence, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
    Pre-orders now available!
    Get early access and exclusive goodies by pre-ordering the game!
    http://deepworldgame.com

------------------------------------

Deepworld is an upcoming massively-multiplayer 2D steampunk crafting adventure, with a Mac release coming soon and iOS a couple of months after.

Join thousands of other players and explore, craft, and build your way through a persistent online universe of connected worlds! Visit your friends' creations and join them in expanding to new heights. Shield your own home from the denizens of the internet, or just let them in and see what happens!

The world is broken from an apocalypse of murky origin. The scientists of the past built complex machinery and dabbled in autonomous machines, but in doing so they unleashed a terror. Survivors have been recovering and finding their way in this new disturbed world, searching for raw materials and remnants of machines past in order to stay alive, but the origins of the apocalypse linger - and they won't stay quiet forever.

What kind of machines and steampunkalicious exploration would you like to see? Let us know!

Be sure to check out our HQ/forums and Twitter feed for the latest news! Also feel free to reply to this thread, naturally! :)

We hope you're as excited as we are about Deepworld!

2. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Seems interesting and I'm definitely liking the art style. I'll be signing up for the beta for sure :)

3. TaiyrTress

TaiyrTress Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Gaming? Or something cool. :)
    Unicorn fun park.
    Looks pretty nice. Steampunk is cool.

4. QuinnStephens

QuinnStephens Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Designer / developer
    Chicago
    #4 QuinnStephens, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    Glad you guys like the art! We figured you don't see a lot of crosshatched hand-drawn artwork in games these days, so we might as well try it. Then we found out it's probably because crosshatching is really hard to tile (but we think it's worth it).

5. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    The art style is awesome!
    more screenshots please.

6. Katara

Katara Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Love the design of the app, very attractive :)

7. burn

burn Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Sys Admin
    It looks great! Can't wait to see more of this one.

8. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    Wow, this looks cool! Love the art style...and crafting games...so this should be good! :D

9. QuinnStephens

QuinnStephens Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Designer / developer
    Chicago
    #9 QuinnStephens, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    As requested, here's another screenshot for all you folks out there suffering from turkey comas (vegetarians are allowed to look at it too):
    [​IMG]

10. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Cant see image? I like this game sign me up for the beta :D

11. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Can't wait for this game. This is what I have been waiting for in a crafting game with multiplayer. Hope it turns out well.:D

12. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    First gameplay trailer released!

Hey everyone, we're happy to announce that we've emerged from super-intense-development mode and have our first gameplay trailer ready to view!

Now that the top hat is out of the bag (so to speak), we will be blogging and videoing regularly about our continued development efforts at http://deepworldgame.com. Public beta really is not far away!

And as usual, we welcome your feedback and questions! Thanks so much :)

13. electroman12

electroman12 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Wow! This game looks pretty awesome! I love how it combines the awesome steampunk art style with Terraria, Minecraft, and an MMO. The chat feature seems pretty awesome and useful for a multiplayer game. I'm curious to see how the building and movement will work. Will be able to customize our character? Also, will this game be free or premium? I will look forward to this game's release! :)

P.S. I love creative games like this!

P.S.S. I believe I am your first Twitter follower :p

14. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

love the trailer. seems a lot like a steampunk Terraria :D will there be monsters/enemies?

15. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    Yay :D We're glad you think so! It's been a tight three months since our announcement, but we really have come a long way.

Each player starts with a random appearance (skin, hair, facial hair, clothing), but if you find/build a mirror, you can change your hair, and if you find/build a wardrobe, you can start changing your clothes - you'll find various new clothes throughout the worlds.

The game will cost a few dollars when we start, but we hope to move to a freemium model eventually. It will actually help to have fewer people on at first, as we'll need to scale our server architecture carefully!

Indeed! I just realized I only had the @bytebin listed, though - you may wish to follow @deepworldgame also, as that is where most Deepworld-specific news will be released.

Funnily enough, we hadn't heard of Terraria or Junk Jack when we thought this up last fall :) Minecraft was just so addictive that we knew we had to experiment with the genre!

As for monsters, yes, there will be all kinds of them... although they will not all be present at launch. However, there will still be plenty of other kinds of danger (traps, acid, spikes, etc.)

16. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Well, you guys could do some beta testing so there won't be as many server problems at the launch of the game!

17. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    Ha, yes, we will be doing extensive beta testing :D

However, you'd be surprised (or not) at how quickly a free game acquires new users in the App Store... any development company has challenges with sudden influxes of thousands of users :)

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yes, however, most people here on TA hate freemium (that is done poorly) with a passion.

Btw, this game looks absolutely fantastic! Looking forward to it! :)

19. electroman12

electroman12 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Thank you for answering literally all of our questions! Only the great devs will respond to everything (like you guys!). With this service, you can for sure expect a sale out of me with this game! Anything to support you guys! :D

20. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    Love the hat !