Dev's, Stop littering on paid icons!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by colorsound, Sep 4, 2009.

1. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I hate this...I buy a game when it comes out (at full price), then 2 months later an update comes out with a big sale: why should I have to look at a big sale banner covering half the icon int iPod?

I know some people won't care, but many will.
    There is no reason for the iPod icon to say 'SALE' or whatever else

it's one thing to do it on the iTunes icon, as they are usually different.

A recent example is Funky Hoops. I have seen many others.

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    lol the major reason is for future customers.

It works for 90 percent of all customers as they would rather click on something that is on "sale".

It helps them with their sales, hell it even worked for me

get over it...it doesn't ruin the gameplay and only further benefits the dev and us, as sales could mean better updates

3. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    i havent seen any except for iFPS

4. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    as i know, the icon in the app store and the app-icon could be two different icons, so it would be no problem to show in the store the sales-icon and on your pod the normal one.

but we won`t make a sale anyhow (no price below 0,99 c), so i don`t know, why i`m answering you.

but have a nice day.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've seen a couple (Galcon, Underworlds, Scoops and Sky Burger), but they've all switched back to normal by now.

6. Jeremy Alessi

Jeremy Alessi Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Actually, the icon you see in the app store on the device itself (where most people find their games) is ripped from the bundle you upload to iTunes. There is a separate large icon you also upload but that is for the desktop version of iTunes and not what you see on the mobile app store. As such I agree that it's obnoxious to have an ugly icon on your phone's home screen just because the developer is running a sale and wants to call attention to their product on the mobile app store.