Feedback for Be Free or Die (Shooter game)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stubbornmoose, Dec 7, 2009.

1. stubbornmoose

stubbornmoose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hello guys,

I am a developer who wrote that game. I have received a lot of feedback already for that app.

Summarizing it: Game controls are crap!!!!

I didn’t know there is a standard already for that. But anyway I am trying to make it better and have done some changes.

What I really need is someone who plays a lot an iPhone shooter games.

So I need you feedback before I submit my changes. Anyone wants to help?

Thanks

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I can help. I've played eliminate, mc, crazy turkey blast, etc.

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #3 B34$T, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Sure

I can help. I've played all sorts of shooters like fps, on-rails, dual stick (which I consider my self a fan of), an side scrollers. I'll say more when I see your game.

Edit, I say a joystick to move and swipe anywhere to look would work best.

4. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    Have someone seen a COD Zombies?

There are several type of controls in this game:

Touch Screen
    Dual stick
    Tilts

Which one is the best?

5. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    How do you use a dual stick for automatic weapons?

Thanks

6. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I prefered dual stick, it was hard to use at first but I eventually got used to them. The touchscreen method was bit clunky and hard to turn in zombies.

Dual stick for automatic- it depends how hectic the game is. In zombies it had a sperate button for shoot, but it also had aim-assist, so it balanced out. Plus the zombies were pretty slow sometimes.
    For eliminate it was tap once to shoot once and tap twice to shoot automatically. This IMO was better for when you have infinite (or lots of) ammo and the opponents moved around quickly.

7. theaustrianoak

theaustrianoak Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    i personally find touch screen to be the best control scheme. it's similar to dual stick, but rather then having a right "stick", you can slide anywhere on the screen to look around. there's still a left stick to move with.

this is the control scheme for modern combat: sandstorm and nova (not out yet). i find it works extremely well in modern combat

8. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    the default controls on MC:sandstorm is very good. they improved it in the multiplayer update. its more fluent and easy to control. try out the lite if you dont own it and youll see how good it is now

9. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    only thing, does that make it really easy for HEADSHOTS? its supposed to be a challenge

10. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Okay this should be in game discussion and questions.

Now as for feedback, I found the MC:S joystick on the right to move, Touch and anywhere on the screen and drag it to the direction you want to look, a button for shooting/etc., and tap the weapon to reload.

Now I haven't played your game but I find that these controls would work well for any FPS. I heard Eliminate's controls are superb, correct me if I'm wrong as I never played the game.

11. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    #11 stubbornmoose, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    Sorry guys. What does MC:S stand for?

Never mind I have found it ;)

12. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Modern Combat : Sandstorm

13. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Okay I started playing this game, and ts pretty good! Feels just like left4dead! The levels aren't linear, instead they are wide open which allows for more zombies and action. The graphics aren't half bad for the iPhone. Actually I thought they were pretty good!
    But yes the controls need work. In this game MC:S controls scheme would work best. Move your aim by dragging around your finger on the screen and move with a pad on the left. This game could be pretty big if the controls were fixed.
    My only other problems were the lack of zombies on screen at a time, the sound effects of zombies (it should be raw throated screaming), the amount of damage the zombies deal is too high (one attack nearly killed me in 4 seconds), and I got lost a bunch of times so a map would be helpful. Oh also a radar for like 20 metets around you showing the zombies, kinda kills some of the suspense but it's a necessity if the controls don't work out.
    And of course multiplayer would be awesome but no pressure ;)

14. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, nice review. I have implemented a Dual Stick already, I will recompile it and send it to you tomorrow.

15. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Are there threads on TA about this game? If there are I'm surprised it's been passed over, people can't resist zombie shooting games.

Oh and I just gotthe crap scared out of me by a zombie that snuck up on me. I literrally got scared. Do the zombies come back from the dead like in halo:combat evolved? Sure feels like it...

16. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh man, that game is awesome ;)

17. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The game is actually quite good, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Change the icon - it's really weird.
    2. Headshots should do more damage.
    3. There should be something that's hinting at where you should go or what you should do, in the second or third level I actually got lost...
    4. Controls. Are. Horrible. Actually, they're not, but I can't use multitouch, so I have to look around AND move with one finger. A bit annoying.

That's about it for now.

18. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    #18 stubbornmoose, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Future "Be Free or Die" controls

Hi, I have performed a deep research about all possible iPhone game controls.

Please read carrefully description for each schema an provide me a feedback.

Did I mis something there? Is anything that should not be in a game?

I have decided to post this classification in a public forum so other developers may use it as a reference.

Players please comment on that and you will get a better controls for your games ;)

I have created a new voting thread for that here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=37806