iPhone Coverfire - Classic Arcade Action

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thewiirocks, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #1 thewiirocks, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    C O V E R F I R E
    [​IMG]
    Coming Soon!
    Classic arcade action -- exclusively for the iPad!

Coverfire is an exciting classic shooter with mutli-directional controls and intense gameplay! This is not a retread or upscaling of an iPhone game. This is a title designed with the iPad in mind. Only the iPad's large touchscreen can provide a smooth and comfortable arcade experience.

[​IMG]

Weave in and out. Dodge bullets. Grab the bonuses. Look danger in the eye.

Not comfortable? Turn the iPad to your desired orientation and the game will automatically rotate to match. Decide between two uniquely different modes in landscape or portrait.

Coming soon from Infinite Sands

2. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    More Screenshots

Got another screenshot for y'all. I'll be working on a video sometime in the not-too distant future.

Testing is continuing on the actual hardware. I didn't want to release the game until it was fully tested. Especially given how hardcore the gameplay is. So far it's actually quite good! However, I'm still going to tweak the controls slightly to ensure that players don't have trouble with being slightly off.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here and I will attempt to answer them. I'll also attempt to keep a running blog here as development continues.

(Click on the image below to view it at full resolution.)

Attached Files:

3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    This looks like a classic title from the Apple II, C64 & Atari days called "Crossfire"? If so, bring it on! :)

4. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    It looks at little like an 80's game called "Targ" but I am sure the gameplay is much different.

5. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    We have a winner! Would you believe it was my first computer game? No wonder I like hardcore shmups! :p

Actually, Crossfire (the basis for Coverfire) was itself based on Targ. However, it enhanced and expanded on Targ in several notable ways. e.g. The enemies shoot back in Crossfire and the fire direction is decoupled from the movement direction.

6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    This was one of my first as well - was it Broderbund or Sierra that did Crossfire? In any case, looking forward to this (I miss those days - except there was no iPad back then) lol

7. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Sierra. The box art had me convinced that it had something to do with Ultraman. (Which was on during morning cartoons at the time.) I vividly recall telling the UPS delivery guy about this cool computer game we got that was just like that TV show where the guy stuck his arm up in the air to become a giant robot. I'm sure he couldn't wait for my mother to finish signing the slip so he could leave. :p

I swiped a few screenshots from Mobygames so you can see Crossfire as I remember it. It came in a few different versions across the various platforms, so I'm sure everyone has slightly different memories. :)

Attached Files:

8. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    OMG!! Crossfire!

Holy crap I cannot WAIT to play Crossfire (essentially) on my iPad / iPhone! Booted up the old C64 to play it just on principle this morning. What a classic game!

9. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I have to say, this is really humbling. Never in a million years would I have expected to find even *one* person on TA that was familiar with Crossfire. Much less the wonderful response I'm receiving!

Thanks guys, this is really encouraging! I'm going to make sure I do right by you. This will be the best Crossfire clone made since the 80's! On that, you have my promise! :)

Here's a quick update on the game's progress:

Today I managed to get OpenFeint for the iPad up and running. It turns out that OF doesn't like it if you manage device rotation by asking the device what its current orientation is. OF has a nasty habit of crashing in that situation. So I ended up devoting most of the day to tearing down the program and rebuilding it around rotation events.

On the bright side, you can now see the screen spin as you turn the device. In addition, the game isn't as sensitive to orientation changes as it used to be. Under the previous method, I had to lock the screen to prevent it from occasionally jumping between portrait, landscape, and back again. So it looks like the changes were well worth the work.

Another area of great improvement is the controls. They were already "good enough", but "good enough" doesn't cut it for me. I don't care how long it takes me to get this right. I don't want even a single complaint about the controls when I release. So I'm continuing to refine my approach.

The original approach I took was rather naive. I checked inside the squares of individual buttons to see if the user pressed inside. While it worked, it was rather easy to unintentionally miss the buttons. I ended up extending the boundaries of the buttons a bit, but that was only a partial solution.

The solution I ended up settling on was to compute circles around each button. The circle is much larger than the button, but its center is moved away from the button itself. The button ends up in one corner of this large circle, while the actual touch area extends out into empty space. This scheme appears to eliminate near-misses on the controls while simultaneously keeping the controls tight and responsive.

Next on my list is to get high score submissions working with OF. Believe it or not, I have a victory screen to show if you beat your high score. I've gone through some musical accompaniments and settled on a rather classy victory piece.

Looking at other games for a moment, Chain Link HD does a really good job with their high scores. Not only do you get to submit your scores when you're done, but the game is constantly tracking your progress and letting you know what scores you're near. That's a level of leaderboard interaction I'd like to replicate.

10. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I hope this one comes pretty soon!! Can't wait to play it on the ipad!
    One suggestion: Keep it retro. I can't say much from the pics but It seems to be like the original. :)

11. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    I remember the original being a pretty quiet game. No music, and only one sound effect which was the shot's impact on the enemy or yourself.

12. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    I'm super-excited that you're excited! Always great to meet other Crossfire fans! :)

I'm definitely working to maintain the flavor of the original game. A previous iteration of the game in Javascript got extremely high marks from other Crossfire fans. So if you like Crossfire, I think you'll love this game. ;)

You're partly correct. All versions of the game were light on sound effects. However, some versions (notably the C64 version) did have music. As one would expect, the official remake by Sierra also had music to go with the high color graphics.

13. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Oh ok yeah, I played the Atari 800 and Apple II versions -- was not a big C-64 fan until they took over the world back then.. that's when I finally joined the masses. lol (and still liked my Atari 800 better).

14. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Update 5/5: Development work continues. OpenFeint integration is mostly complete with just a few items left for tracking some of the achievements and background pausing. The gameplay has been further tweaked to ramp up the difficulty more evenly.

The credits screen and final score screens are complete. The help screen is still underway. I'm also attempting to settle on a frontpage icon for the game.

My first attempts at recording a video didn't go so well. It's a bit harder to record the bulky iPad than it is the small and easily mountable iPhone. I'm going to try a different setup and camera to see if I can create something that works.

Working hard toward a release Real Soon Now(TM)... :)

15. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Awesome !!

maybe a preview video ? :)

16. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Come on, everyone remembers Crossfire. It was one of the first two games I bought for my original Apple ][. (The other was Wizardry.)

17. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    First, I'd like to apologize to everyone for the long delay. I had intended to release the game several months ago, but various interference prevented its release.

The upshot is that the game is currently in review, awaiting Apple's approval! Plus, the delay has allowed for Game Center integration and multitasking support! Due to Apple's review process, it's difficult to say precisely when it will be available. However, you should expect to see it within the next few days.

A website with promotional information has been setup at http://www.infinitesands.com/. Feel free to drop by and take a gander at the promotional materials.

I'm also getting a video pulled together right now. Getting a clean video of the iPad has been one of the most challenging aspects of this project. But I think I finally have it licked. Expect to see a video as early as tomorrow.

Thanks again to the fans for your patience! I know you've all been itching for this game. The wait is almost over!

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Can t wait to play it! Brings old memories.
    I also hope you keep it very close to the original and retro.

19. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Think you can resist the classic gaming goodness of Coverfire HD?

Think again.

20. thewiirocks

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Not to worry! I spent a significant amount of time playing the original Crossfire in preparation for development. In fact, the amount of research that went into the game easily eclipsed the time writing the software.

One of the inspirations for writing Coverfire is that the modern clones (the few that there are) failed to capture the feel of the original. Gridfire got the closest, but all the elements on the screen simply failed to gel into a good game. I wanted to create a game that inspired players to remember the original, yet feel like they're playing it on a modern platform with colorful graphics.

The result is (I believe) the best take on Crossfire to ever be produced. Coverfire will blow your socks off, drop your jaw, and kick your butt. You'll pick yourself up, remark "what just happened?", and give it another go. Each time you'll do better. Each game will be more adrenaline-fueled than the last. Every game you'll think to yourself, "just one more time".

See, I'm not just the game's author. I'm its biggest fan. And I think you'll agree that it's brilliant fun! :cool: