Specify a release date for after Approval, does our App still appear in Featured New?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GrumpyDragonGames, May 20, 2011.

1. G'day guys!

One of the things I'm waiting to get clarified with Apple, if you are to set a release date for your game (which is estimated to be at some point after App Store approval). Once the date comes around and your app appears in the AppStore, will it be displayed in the Featured -> New section?

As most of you probably already know, the initial launch of your App has a huge surge in sales and then dies down. Likely because your app is featured in the New section. But after reading this article http://furbo.org/2009/10/29/an-expensive-lesson/ I'm a bit worried that possibly could affect an App launch visibility.

Can anyone provide some insight to this please?

Thanks

2. I've been informed by another developer that the game would not be shown in the Featured -> New section, but rather the... Categories -> Release Date section.

Apparently in the olden days, where your app appears in the Categories -> Release Date is based of when Apple approves your app?

Can someone confirm that you appear at the top of the Categories -> Release Date section on your chosen date for launch even if it is a few days after Apple approval?

3. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Yes confirmed. Released a game last week after holding it for 7 days after approval. Still showed up fine.

4. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

We got hosed on our new app Acts of Kindness - we originally wanted to launch 5/19, but a problem caused them to reject the app. We reuploaded and they didn't approve the app by 5/18. I went ahead and changed the release to 5/24, except they actually approved the app on 5/19, so the 5/19 was locked into their system as the release date.

Needless to say our app launched about 15 pages back on new releases. *sigh*

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Had you selected "hold for developer release"?
    I wouldn't bet the farm on stuff like this, but it worked for me with world to conquer.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Indeed I did. I think the rejection/approval coinciding with the previous date screwed something up