Efficient App Promotion (using Twitter/Facebook)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

We're guilty of it, you're probably guilty of it... do you over post? Our social media guru (he picked his own title) did some research recently and found some great ways to approach twitter/facebook for promoting your app and yourself, give a read:

More Efficient App Promotion Strategies

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    very interesting, and I will check out that webinar (ohh i hate that word)

I am glad to see a topic like this on the board, it's a good idea to get some discussion on this going especially since most people have no idea how to properly take advantage of social networking.

In regards to your notes on posting, it is interesting to see the numbers showing reception to frequency of posting on FB vs twitter. I recently hooked the two up (posts on twitter will automatically show up on FB) and am inclined to leave it that way since, honestly, I rarely post (on my studio page) on Facebook - at least this way it guarantees that more posts will show up there daily.

3. INNOVATTY

INNOVATTY Well-Known Member

Thanks for this useful information.

Another useful article for Dan Zarrella called "The Science of ReTweets", in which he talked about the top 4 factors impacting how far content spreads on Twitter:

This is the main principle behind the Indie Developers RT Group (IDRTG), which so far has over 280 members.

I think a person using Twitter is more likely to click on a link contained in a retweeted status comparing to the original status.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Interesting... in fact that is probably the "difficulty" of really getting a good Twitter thing going... it requires vastly more frequency of tweets and interaction to really get going. I suppose it has the chance to become more viral the FB in the end, but it also seems to take a whole lot more work to do so.

On a similar, but unrelated note in regards to FB vs Twitter, we ran a promotion with Bug Heroes to get some followers and got 16 times the likes on Facebook as we did followers on Twitter. We also got WAY more general interaction via FB. If it gets annoying trying to keep up with both mediums and you have to choose one, I'd choose FB, personally. With 16,000 followers, we end up with around 30k impressions or so per post. Its easier to manage, you don't need to post as often, and it seems that more of the "general public" has FB. This goes with my own personal experience as well with people I know.

Also, I found that if you post on FB with a picture, your impressions are likely to double or triple vs a purely text related post!

5. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. I think I'll try this approach on my FB pages. Thanks for the tip!

6. FacepuncherWorldwide

FacepuncherWorldwide Active Member

Jun 21, 2011
    16thousand followers! Wow, I am jealous. We've been stuck in the teens for months. Congratulations. I gotta learn more about your company.

7. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Great feedback everyone, thanks! I agree that people that like you on facebook tend to interact more with you - mainly because liking someone takes a little more effort, especially in the face of mass followers on twitter, haha.