Assassin's Creed Identity Off Topic Discourse

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by !nsomn!ac, Feb 25, 2016.

1. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Jesus man, you got some crazy high standards. Few years ago this game was only playable on pretty demanding PC platforms. Now its running on a god damn phone and thats not impressive enough for you.

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#2 Der-Kleine, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    The original assassin's Creed was released nearly a decade ago and was a much bigger, more detailed and complex game than this. If you think this game is even remotely pushing the limits of what today's mobile devices are actually capable of you'd be very wrong.

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    #3 H4nd0fg0d, Feb 25, 2016
    Lol, don't really have your finger on the pulse of much. This rubbish needs wiped.

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The original game cost twelve times as much as this game.

5. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    This is the most calming statement of the day.

6. Der-Kleine

#6 Der-Kleine, Feb 25, 2016
    And that is irrelevant here. !nsomn!ac's point was that we are supposed to be impressed by this, but I see nothing impressive about this game. That doesn't mean I expected it to be impressive, after all it wasn't like the game was going to radically change compared to what it was soft-launched as, and as you said yourself, it is significantly cheaper.

And that's kind of the problem. If people were willing to spend more, and old/budget devices weren't holding mobile as a platform as much, perhaps games would actually make use of the latest hardware.
    When a game has to be cut back so much to reach a price point that there isn't anything particularly compelling left, what's the point in selling the game at all?
    If you like this game, then great, but having something that vaguely resembels the basic mechanics of an assassin's creed game really isn't enough to interest me, and I'm sure there are others who have a similar oppínion of games like this.

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Then why are you even here?

8. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    True that. I shudder at the thought of how compromised my games are on my 6s+ due to having to run on archaic devices.

9. Der-Kleine

#9 Der-Kleine, Feb 25, 2016
    To discuss cheap mobile games, in this case AC Identity, duh. This is a forum for discussion after all. Is there anything wrong with pointing out why you're disappointed with the state of mobile gaming, using a particular new release as an example?

Praising games by simply saying that an aspect is good without saying why it is good really adds nothing to the discussion. I'd love to see people go more into detail about why they like or dislike a game. It kind of defeats the point of discussing a game when your answer to people who criticise it is "why are you even here".

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    So you came into this thread for a game that isn't even out on a platform you own yet, you don't think looks impressive and already had made up your mind that you weren't going to be impressed with anyway, and then you bring up irrelevant topics like the original console game that came out ten years ago as well as put down someone who actually does enjoy the game on mobile.

Yes, I'll ask again, why are you here? Are you going to contribute to this thread in any meaningful way or continue spouting your normal bullshit?

11. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I am not intending to say that iOS does not have piracy concerns, I was just responding to Lord's comment that he believes it may be online only because of rampant piracy and cited the high frequency of piracy on Android devices. I have read a lot of material stating the same that Android has many times over the rate of piracy vs legitimate purchases (this is just one of many articles describing the comparison I was pointing to:http://www.businessinsider.com/android-piracy-problem-2015-1)

Case in point just compare Monument Valley's 40% legitimate purchases on iOS (yes, still a depressing number), to Android OS's 5% and you can clearly see that my point is anything but "100% untrue". By the logic of this piracy rate disparity it would only make my assertion 12.5% untrue.. (5%=1/8th: 40%) lol

12. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    This is going totally nuts...

I don't care if my phone has the computing capabilities of 1.000 PS4. If I want to play a home console game, I use a home console.
    A mobile device is NOT INTENDED to be played on like a home console: it runs on batteries that can't be run dry just after 20 minutes of use, while you play it's doing dozens of other stuff (checking mail, getting notifications, retrieving location-based info, etc), the screen is smaller than a TV, the interface is totally different and it's designed to be used in short bursts, not continuously for hours.
    If your only gaming device is a mobile phone, live with it: you will never get the very same games of a home console!
    The device is different, the user base is different, the market prices are different.
    IT IS NOT A CONSOLE.
    Device technical specifications DO NOT COUNT!
    You expected a game totally identical to the first AC? Your reasoning is utterly flawed, I'm sorry.

I find the game completely and wonderfully translates the "full" games core mechanics to a mobile platform.
    This is what developers should do: RETHINK the game and adapt the core mechanics that define that game to the main, defining features of another platform.

That's why the most successful Wii U conversions are those that cleverly make use of its gamepad, not the ones that just copy the game. Not because the Wii U has less power and simply converting the code will result in a stuttering mess, but because it has features that should be used to give games their right shape for that specific device.

13. giantfart12

giantfart12 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    ######## My thougts exactly.

14. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Agreed

15. Der-Kleine

#15 Der-Kleine, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Why do you care so much about me being impressed by this game?
    Let me remind you how this conversation started:

!nsomn!ac implies that Assassin's Creed Identity is up to the standards of a fully fledged PC game. I say it is not (let's not be ridiculous here). Even as a mobile release, why should I be impressed? Not only isn't this game remotely what !nsomniac described (This isn't a fully fledged assassin's creed game running on your phone), it's nothing particularly special by mobile's standards either. Have you seen how good games like the Talos Principle can look (and play) on now over one and a half year old mobile hardware?

Half of the people talking about the game seem to be impressed by the fact that you can open a box with sparkly effects, that you can jump off a beam into a haystack or simply by the fact that you have to pay money for it. (Spoiler alert: price tags tell you nothing about the quality of a game. Just because you have to pay for a game doesn't automatically make it good).

To get this discussion back on point though: One thing I'd be interested in hearing about, since it's something the Assassin's Creed series in general has been a bit iffy about: How are the mission structures in this game? What are the missions actually like? What do they involve you doing? Is there any indoor stuff? What's the level design like? (My favourite part of AC games is sneaking through intricate underground levels! Sadly those have been dialed down a bit since AC Revelations) These are things that I find particularly important in an Assassin's Creed game (the basic gameplay elements have kind of been done to death already), and I haven't seen people talk much about those parts of this game here.

That's exactly it. Mobile used to be pushing forward in all directions, but lately games doing things like the ones you mentioned just haven't been a thing. Why does every mobile game have to be playable in byte sized sessions? Most of the time I don't even play mobile games on the go!

16. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Guys we can argue about console quality vs mobile until Elvis comes back to save us all from our sins but it's pointless. This game is a mobile game not be compared w PC and console games. We are not to that point yet it's getting close but not yet. This game is worth $5 bottom line as I stated before on this thread I have spent $5 on much worse games than this. It's okay to share your thoughts but don't go insane about how much you hate when you never even bought nor played it. Good night to all and make sure you pray to Elvis before you go to bed.

17. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    /QUOTE]!nsomn!ac implies that Assassin's Creed Identity is up to the standards of a fully fledged PC game. I say it is not (let's not be ridiculous here). Even as a mobile release, why should I be impressed? Not only isn't this game remotely what !nsomniac described (This isn't a fully fledged assassin's creed game running on your phone), it's nothing particularly special by mobile's standards either. Have you seen how good games like the Talos Principle can look (and play) on now over one and a half year old mobile hardware?

Half of the people talking about the game seem to be impressed by the fact that you can open a box with sparkly effects, that you can jump off a beam into a haystack or simply by the fact that you have to pay money for it. (Spoiler alert: price tags tell you nothing about the quality of a game. Just because you have to pay for a game doesn't automatically make it good).

To get this discussion back on point though: One thing I'd be interested in hearing about, since it's something the Assassin's Creed series in general has been a bit iffy about: How are the mission structures in this game? What are the missions actually like? What do they involve you doing? Is there any indoor stuff? What's the level design like? (My favourite part of AC games is sneaking through intricate underground levels! Sadly those have been dialed down a bit since AC Revelations) These are things that I find particularly important in an Assassin's Creed game (the basic gameplay elements have kind of been done to death already), and I haven't seen people talk much about those parts of this game here.

That's exactly it. Mobile used to be pushing forward in all directions, but lately games doing things like the ones you mentioned just haven't been a thing. Why does every mobile game have to be playable in byte sized sessions? Most of the time I don't even play mobile games on the go![/QUOTE]

I think the issue may be that it seems you haven't played this game. For me, feedback in the forums only matters from someone who has played the game. Positive or negative feedback is great, but it has to have some credibility. The overall discussion about iOS game quality in general compared to the past probably belongs in a new thread under general games and discussion. I don't want to come off rude to you at all, just an opinion.

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    And why do you think that no longer is? Is it because there's not a big enough audience to sustain that type of development? Because games like that cost more to make than what they can potentially bring in? Because battery life and things that aren't gaming are also important necessities of peoples' mobile devices, which makes devoting a lot of hardware towards a video game a really dicey prospect? ALL of those things and more?

Where did you get that impression? I have absolutely zero interest in any of your feelings about this game in any way, shape, or form whatsoever. I care more about the lint in my belly button than I do about you being impressed by this or any game.

My question was why would you come into a thread about a game you don't think looks good and have no interest in buying or playing to make off topic comments about said game? Just to throw shade? Because… reasons?

Holy take things too seriously Batman. I don't think he was attempting to make some sort of technical assertion, he was simply making an exaggerated statement to call out people complaining about this pretty-good-but-obviously-not-as-good-as-an-actual-console-or-pc-asscreed-game-because-duh-its-five-effing-bucks-and-made-for-mobile-what-do-you-expect game. Like seriously, get a grip man.

Ugh. What a disgusting tone. Does it make you feel good to talk down about people like that? Barf.

That's a great point and I'd love to hear more about those things too! It's really too bad this couldn't have been your contribution to the main game thread!

Here is a fun thing you may have never considered: Perhaps you are in the extreme minority of mobile device owners! I too play iOS games predominantly at home. I know that I'm not like most people who play games on their phones. There's a REASON developers aren't making games like that anymore, or when they are it's usually a port of an existing game. It's because they don't make any money! It's really simple. If they were in high demand as you seem to think they are, then of course devs would be making them.

Think of it this way: There are roughly 2 billion mobile devices in the world. Actually probably closer to 3 by now, but whatever. Let's take one of the best-selling "hardcore" games in recent memory, Grand Theft Auto V. I know, I'd argue that that's more of a mainstream game by now, but bear with me. It sold roughly 60 million copies since release. That's A LOT. Now, if you assume that every single person who owns GTAV is the type of gamer who would want that sort of game on their mobile phone, that's still a drop in the bucket compared to the market as a whole. And that's for one of the best-selling and most recognizeable brands of all time. 60 million.

Why would a developer want to spend millions of dollars and years of time building a game like that for mobile when even in the absolute best case scenario they'd only sell to less than 3% of the market, and absolutely would not be able to accomplish even THAT at the type of price needed to justify the cost of development. Current consoles are in a really tough spot because even the $60 price tag isn't able to sustain the price of development anymore, which is why you see season passes and lots of DLC stuff and special editions. Video games should cost more like $100 nowadays, but people would lose their shit if a dev actually tried to charge that up front. How do you expect to succeed on mobile where people freak out about spending even $5?

Don't get me wrong, I think people who want more traditional, long form video games on mobile do exist. It's a niche, but a niche that's willing to pay for what they want (for the most part). I think it's possible for a small-ish dev team to create meatier games for mobile and then charge a more reasonable price for them, in the $20-$40 range, and be able to sustain themselves that way. It's a magical unicorn niche but I do think it exists.

However, to expect a company like Ubisoft or any other company that has large dev teams and is putting significant time, money, and man hours into a mobile project just to bank everything on that tiny niche of gamers is ludicrous. That's why to me it's pointless to complain that developers aren't making this particular style of game that you want, or making these graphically impressive games simply because the hardware is capable enough to do so, without actually thinking about WHAT you're asking them to do.

You'd have about as much luck as telling McDonald's "Hey, you could make a way better burger if you just used better ingredients and hired more skilled cooks. It's cool, just charge more!"

In fact I absolutely love the "fast food is mobile gaming" analogy. I don't hate fast food, in fact it's pretty tasty. But I'm fully aware that it's cheap garbage I'm putting into my body. However, if I'm driving somewhere and short on time and need to eat something fast food is a great option. They even have freaking drive thrus! It's truly mobile eating. But I would and gladly do pay upwards of ten times as much as a McD's burger for a handmade burger at a local restaurant. But sometimes that doesn't work for me, because you have to get out of your car, or sit down and dine inside, or get dressed up a little more, or even put pants on at all. Maybe I'm not in a position to do any of those things.

They are simply two different experiences, two different types of products. Not even really worthy of comparing, IMO. Same with mobile vs console or PC or whatever, which makes it all the more irritating whenever you inject that sort of stuff into a game topic and derail the thread.

19. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I've never seen it put this way. Odd, but I actually like this analogy a lot.

20. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Honestly Ubisoft is quite audacious to pull this trick and still have people falling for it.

While I really could care less how people spend their money, I want to point something out.

Having played the soft launch version for a very long time, I have just found out that this game is the exact same copy of the soft launch version but this time with a price slapped on it for entry.

Absolutely nothing changed, I mean nothing.

The soft launch version was highly inapp purchase oriented and this one is exactly the same, even the price of items in the shop and mission rewards are same as soft launch version.

So my question is, what exactly do they mean when they said that they've listened to fans and decided to make it premium?

What exactly did they turn to premium because this is the exact game I played over a long period of time.

So the people paying 5 Euro for this are just late comers to the soft launch version but have to be penalised with 5 euro in order to play it now.

I have requested for a refund and hopefully would get it soon. I cannot tolerate such blatant lies and deception.

Ubisoft, if you are reading this comment, you are really quite audacious and arrogant to pull such stunt or is it because this is iOS where people accept and swallow everything all in the name of keeping the platform alive?

Even PS Vita guys, with their dying platform and very limited user Base would hardly accept this but on mobile, everything goes and if you dare dissent, you are shouted down or banned from forums.

To those enjoying it, keep having fun.