Real-time world conquest coming! - Generals for iPhone & iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CyrillianStudios, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyrillianStudios

CyrillianStudios Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #1 CyrillianStudios, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:

GENERALS HAS GONE GOLD!! App Store description below. Initial pricing will be $2.99 USD, 40% off the regular $4.99 price! Be sure to grab your copy before the price goes up!

Generals is a strategic game of world domination! Immerse yourself in epic battles against friends and devious computer opponents, or play online in competitive real-time multiplayer conflicts that will have you on the edge of your seat!

FEATURES:
    ➤ Intuitive menus and game play provide
    for an awesome strategy gaming experience!

➤ Pass-N-Play with up to 5 players or test
    your strategy against computer opponents

➤ Take on the world! Play online in real-time
    against friends and enemies over Wi-Fi & 3G

➤ Competitive rating system for online play
    with leader boards that showcase your
    strategic prowess (or lack of thereof)

➤ Enjoy easy access to comprehensive in-
    game help and tutorial videos

➤ Tried and true turn based strategy gaming
    at its best

Do you have what it takes to conquer the world?
    Find out today!

FUTURE UPDATES WILL INCLUDE:
    ➤ New online game play modes

➤ Push notification games: play up to
    20 games simultaneously!

➤ And much more!

UPDATE:
    Interested in beta testing Generals? Apply to be part of our beta!
    Check out: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=51900
    Can't wait to hear from you guys!

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to our upcoming iPhone game, Generals. Generals is a tribute to the classic turn-based world conquest board game we all know and love. From a very young age we have been hooked on these types of games and were surprised when we couldn't find a multiplayer version on the App Store.

Well, fast forward almost 6 months and we are in the final stages of development and ready to reveal our creation to the world!

[​IMG]

Some of our game features are:
    • Refined graphics and intuitive game play providing for an awesome strategy gaming experience!
    • Take on the world! Play online against friends and enemies over Wi-Fi & 3G.
    • Pass-N-Play with up to 5 players or against your device across four levels of difficulty.
    • Tried-and-true turn based strategy implementation at its best!
    • Enjoy easy access to comprehensive in-game help and tutorial videos.

We have put a lot of love into Generals and hope you will all enjoy it. A lot of blood, sweat, and polish has gone into this game. For example, we have automatic rejoining in multiplayer games. Let's say you're playing an online game and you get a phone call. If you answer it, the app will exit but when you re-open the app after your phone call and login to our servers you will be presented with a prompt asking you to rejoin your game. The server is smart enough to just skip over you while you're gone. This is just the tip of the feature iceberg... :).

We are hoping to release Generals in the coming weeks and will very soon be looking for beta testers. If you are interested, keep your eyes on this thread as we will post updates here or look us up:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/CyrillianStudio
    Facebook:Cyrillian Studios on Facebook
    Web: http://generals.cyrillian.com
    Blog:http://cyrillianstudios.blogspot.com/

Happy gaming!

2. hhhh

hhhh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    Looks good, but is the same as Lux/Risk.

3. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi hhhh,

Generals shares a lot of similarities with Lux but we've taken it several steps further. Both the pre-game interface and actual game interaction are nicer IMO. Most importantly, we have multiplayer. Playing against humans is a lot more enjoyable than playing against a computer AI :D

4. DarkeMage

DarkeMage Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    High School
    Sydney, Australia!!!
    Looks very nice. Looks like its be a success! Like the artwork.

Will be watching thread for beta testing invitation :p

5. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback DarkeMage!

Were polishing the Generals build today and if all goes well we should announce beta invitations imminently.

We also had a an email question about an iPad version. We plan to make a universal binary for Generals so that it will work across both the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Buy once, play everywhere!

6. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Where is Italy?!?

You have cutted it off!

7. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    How many maps are there? One thing that makes Lux Delux a lot of fun are the maps.

8. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    #8 CyrillianStudios, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    @alectwin

I'll see it about squeezing in Italy for you :). Definitely will be in the iPad version!

@Frog

We're going to debut with 1 map but we have built the architecture so that adding maps is super easy. We also plan on introducing multiple game modes for multiplayer, some of which, IMO, are better than the classic mode. :)

BTW PocketGamer.co.uk did a short article on our game! Check it out at http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Generals/news.asp?c=19873

9. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
  10. k1ngofk1ngs

k1ngofk1ngs Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    New Zealand
    I enjoy Risk so might have to have a look at this when it arrives.

Edit: Just noticed there is no New Zealand near Australia so now im not so sure......

11. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Looks great! I love Risk-type games so I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

12. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    We love New Zealand and all our Kiwi friends - we certainly mean no disrespect! Unfortunately the pixel space on this map is rather limited and so we've had to setting for something less geographically accurate than what you may expect in a National Geographic magazine. That said, as with Italy it'll definitely be in the iPad version! (which you get as a FREE upgrade when we release the universal binary)

13. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Only one map is the reason to not buy this game for me. I'll wait till it has more maps.

14. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    We look forward to your business! :)

15. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    :confused:

I just wanted to tell you that I don't think I'll play a Risk variation with one map a lot. I don't want to piss you of. I only wanted to help you...:)

I hope you understand that.

16. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    No offense taken! We value your feedback!

I understand where you're coming from and we do plan on adding more maps, hence my previous comment :).

17. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Interesting. I'll be waiting to see how you handle the multi-player aspect here...depending on how long games go and how many people will be able to play it could work or have some hiccups. But I'm definitely intrigued.

18. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    Multiplayer was certainly the toughest nut to crack during development. The difficulty of implementing a great multiplayer experience for the iPhone is probably the main reason we haven't seen any multiplayer enabled apps of this type in the App Store.

We've implemented timers and checks for the various turn modes that help pace the game and prevent any one user from purposefully making the game last longer. Combine that with our multiplayer game rejoin feature and we think we have a winning formula!

If your interested in getting an early look medianotzu we still have beta slots available! ;)

19. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #19 medianotzu, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Those were the things I was really wondering about, actually. I've never been involved in beta testing, but I do appreciate the offer...I don't like to undertake things half-assedly so I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, but let me know how it would work and I'll let you know if I can help. :)

Edit: Oh, I just saw your other thread with all the info...no need to explain anything else. Let me see if I can find someone to sign up with me. I live in South Korea, so it may or may not be doable for me to get someone who can play consistently with me online. Thanks again for mentioning it.

20. CyrillianStudios

Mar 21, 2010
    Updated blog

Our latest blog post delves into the nuts and bolts of our experience developing Generals! Check it out here: http://bit.ly/9JlJaM