Did Paper Toss (original) always have ads?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MidianGTX, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just got the update with the airport level and now it keeps telling me to try Ragdoll Blaster Lite... and I've got the freakin' game anyway :mad:

I'm sure they weren't there before.

2. DOG87

DOG87 Well-Known Member

it stod on the menu but it didnt told you to.

3. SpungoMcGee

SpungoMcGee Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    No, the intrusive, distracting and annoying ads in the new update didn't used to be there.

4. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    http://appshopper.com/games/paper-toss
    What's new
    -New Airport Level in honor of Paper Toss: World Tour!
    -Some minor fixes and changes

So fix = stick some ads in there.
    I hate it when they do that and I hate that I cannot exclude an app from upgrades without having to take so much care.

Dear Backflipstudios,
    Be honest. Right now you are being underhand.

5. NightCrawler

NightCrawler New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    That's the result of the new "If you'll support me, i'll support you" trend btw the developers i guess:D

6. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    #6 silentdante, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    wow, a great game you pay nothing for wants to put some ads in, that in no way get in the way of buttons to be pressed, and suddenly it's like backflip pissed in your cornflakes?

no sir i dont get it...

7. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    c'mon people, it's a full game for free and they even put a new level, you can't complain for a small ad.

8. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #8 f e a r l e s s, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    The ads are distracting. They should have put ads in the start screen.

EDIT: Looky, looky, what do we have here... [app]Paper Toss Ad-Free[/app]

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    well, i guess i know not to update the app...i'll keep my office background

10. SpungoMcGee

SpungoMcGee Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Who died and made you Supreme Leader Of The Grand Soviet, numbnuts?

11. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    not you apparently, what a pity :(

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't consider it a new level anyway, just a new background... which is why I fail to understand why people would buy World Tour. Anyway, if the ad had been there from the beginning I could have ignored it, but to give people a free game and then lower the quality like that is annoying.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    +1
    I don't appreciate it.
    It's fine if the ad is related to the world tour but told in a subtle way, eg. when we finish a game, or in the main menu (there's a new button called 'let'sget on board' or something). The way they do it now is tasteless.

14. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    How does the company work out the benefit when they put these in an already established free game?

I hate ads. Doesn't matter where I see them on the web I hate them. I am far more likely to leave a site because of ads than hang around - and a monitor has a stack of space. So if someone like me downloads PT today they will not buy PT:WT. Why see ads in the free and be asked for money for the second with no guarantee you will not see ads?

To get back to the question above - how exactly does a company work out the "success" of inserting ads? What graph says "Great idea!" ?

(I own PT, Ragdoll Blaster and PT:WT btw)

15. sam the lion

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    You have a point about the background thing. However, it gives a nice sense of continuity (office->fired!->the airport->and then the world tour).
    About the ad, maybe it's just me, but I doesn't bother me much, I never look at it. And I think it's a tolerable compromise for having a nice game, even if added in a second moment.

However it's just my opinion that I was stating and didn't mean to be rude, as someone else seems to think...

16. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    If they add the original levels in World Tour, I'll get that. Now I'm just going to stop playing altogether.

17. JediOne

JediOne Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Didn't notice?

I have to say, I didn't notice the new ad... So I guess it doesn't bother me ;)

The airport level is comparable to the easy level, with the bin close - having said that, I'm not that great at it :rolleyes:

18. estyst

estyst Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Poland
    #18 estyst, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    dev: "added ads"
    me: [delete]

also deleted from recommended... nothing infuriates me as much as "in-app context ads", especially without unlimited data plan...

19. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    then I suggest you go to Apple and ask for....nay, demand your money back.

Oh wait....

20. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So........
    Does the iTunes agreement cover the fact that a publisher can alter a purchased item in any way at any time and that you have no course of action open?

If yes, where specifically does the EULA say this (A publisher should be able to point this out)?

If no, where is the EULA I agreed to when I downloaded an app that let's them do what they want to an application I bought on the strength of it's look / performance / gameplay at that time?

There was a big deal about the fact that Apple have a software kill switch in iphones / ipod touches. If Apple use that - big news. If a publisher puts ads into your game and effectively kills your enjoyment then where is the noise about that?