My Top 20 Board Game Conversions to iOS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sizzlakalonji, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    So, I've been meaning to start this thread for a while, but it's been a bit agonizing. I feel extremely lucky that two of my passions (board gaming and iOS gaming) have built such a symbiotic relationship over the years. Indeed, it's iOS conversions of board games that have re-awakened my love for board gaming which had gone dormant for a while. Some of these iOS games have compelled me to go out and get the physical versions which is how I prefer to play with other people. I suppose I should get that out of the way right now...I only play these iOS games solo. I'm not a big async lover, so that will certainly explain why I have some of these games higher/lower than people who feel like async play is a must for these conversions. Another brief note, I limited myself to board games. If I had to throw card games into the mix (Lost Cities, Ascension, etc.) the list would have been impossible to keep to 20. So without any further ado, here's my list, and here's hoping this will spark other lists to follow:

1) Elder Sign: Omens - The pinnacle for me. I LOVE this game. I bought the physical version, which is certainly great, but this is one example where with all of the digital expansions, it may actually be better than the physical version.
    2) Kingsburg - I've played the heck out of this. Love it, but would love it even more if they would make it a universal build.
    3) Dominant Species - It took me a while to understand everything that's going on, but once it clicked, I was hooked. I LOVE the theme on this one.
    4) Ticket to Ride - Maybe not my favorite game, but the implementation of this game is unimpeachable. With the expansions, it's almost perfect.
    5) Kingdom Builder - This one has become a fast favorite. It plays fast, and I just seem to keep coming back to it.
    6) Alien Frontiers - This is another one that I thought was a lot more complicated that it really is. The tutorial isn't the best, so I watched a video of the physical version being played, and then it all came together. LOTS of fun.
    7) Pandemic: The Fourth Seal - Not an official version (since none exist), but seems to have the blessing of the developer as long as it's free. Not the best conversion, and some small bugs, but the game is such a blast that it rates this highly.
    8) Forbidden Island - Actually very similar to Pandemic, but a bit easier. This conversion is stellar. Artwork, graphics, everything almost exact to the physical version.
    9) Carcassonne - I'm actually not a huge fan of the core game play itself, but the conversion is so great, that I bought all of the expansions, and have found a new appreciation of it based upon those. Probably the best tutorial of all of them.
    10) Yggdrasil - At this point, you may have noticed that I like cooperative games. This is another of those, and it's also really well done. I really like the theme on this one.
    11) Puerto Rico - This is a game that has been a slow-burner for me. I didn't play much when I first got it, but I'm starting to log more plays, and the more I play it the more I like it.
    12) The Jam - Obscure Russian board game. It's awesome! You're making jams and pies. I know, right? But trust me, it's fun.
    13) Qin - Knizia's latest, and quickly becoming my favorite of his.
    14) Ghost Stories - This game is a lot of fun, but I have LITERALLY never won. I've actually only gotten to the final ghost once! This game is brutal, but fun.
    15) Collapsible D - A game that I would actually rate higher if it was in English! The production values were so good that I went to the web site for the physical game and printed out the rule book. With that I was able to play the game in Italian, but I'm still waiting for the promised translation. If you're willing to go through the trouble I did, you may find it worth your while.
    16) Tikal - This game was plagued with bugs upon release, but they've ironed those out. I really like it now.
    17) Medici - More Knizia goodness with nice bidding mechanic.
    18) Ra - You could actually use the description for #17 here too. Why is Medici ranked one higher? I don't know really, it's kind of a toss up.
    19) Small World - Great production, but here's another game I can't seem to win. I've won maybe twice, and the problem is that I don't really know what's wrong with my strategy. That being said, it's still a lot of fun...you don't always have to win!
    20) Stone Age - A fun worker placement game that also is screaming out for its promised universal build.

2. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    Great list. I'd like to see your list of 20+ with the inclusion of what you call "card" games. In the video game realm, I think what is treated as a "card" and what is treated as a "board" matters a great deal less. I certainly wouldn't let in get in the way of a full list of fine strategy hobby games on iOS.

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks. You bring up a good point. If I were to include card games, then I'd probably put Ascension, Lost Cities, Bang!, and Summoner Wars in there too.

4. While I used to play a lot of board games when I was younger, never really got into board game conversions to video games. However, at an xmas EA sale, I bought some games like Risk, Yahtzee, and Monopoly. I haven't really played any much since then, but for a buck they were worth it for me. Monopoly actually looks really nice,but the file size is huge. Anyway, do you like conversions like these of more mainstream board games?

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Sure. I actually like the three you mentioned just fine. The Monopoly filesize is really large...probably something to do with the animations? I actually play the Monopoly Millionaire game more since it's quicker. However, it's hard for me to go back to those very often with all of the others in my list beckoning to me. :)

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    600 people have viewed this thread and no one has posted their own list? What's the deal, people? Post your favorites!

7. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #7 the9quad, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Phantom Leader: sure it's $15 but Its worth it, it's tough but fair. Maybe because its new to me is why I like it so much, but I love it.
    The rest is the same as your list but I put phantom leader at the top, for pure fun factor. Basically think ghost stories or elder signs but strategy is easier to implement, because your dealing with real world crap like airplanes and missiles, and not spells and ghosts, so it can be a it more intuitive. Elder signs is way more polished though.

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I've been so close to picking this up. It's not the price that's stopping me but rather the difficulty. I've already got a few games I can't beat, I don't know if I need another!

9. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    Well if it makes you feel any better I won like my 5th game of phantom leader, and have yet to win ghost stories either.

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    That does make me feel better, actually.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    So... which of these support iPad retina? :p

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I have the iPad 2, so I have no idea. Sorry.

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Great list of board game conversions. I'd add:
    Catan HD
    Tigris and Euphrates
    Titan HD
    Space Chem
    LeHavre

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I actually forgot Catan...that probably would've made the bottom half. Titan is really good too, just out of my top 20. I've never heard of Space Chem, I'll check it out!

15. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    No summoner wars, caylus, le havre or catane ?

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I left Summoner Wars off because I wasn't including Card Games. Catan was an oversight, it would make the top 20. Caylus and Le Harve are good, but don't quite crack my top 20.

17. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    FWIW, I'd put Catan at #9. That would knock Stone Age off of the list.

18. Ashraam

Ashraam Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    France
    #18 Ashraam, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Here is my Top 20. Quite different of yours, but maybe it can help someone ^^

1 : Ascension (best IOs Async game ever, lots of good players from this forum)
    2 : Summoner Wars (tactical card game, another excellent conversion from Playdek)
    3 : Neuroshima Hex (tactical game too with good async)
    4 : Caylus (great conversion of a complex boardgame)
    5 : Ticket to Ride (not really fan of the physical version, but this IOs game is really fun and well done)
    6 : Puerto Rico (same as Caylus, great conversion of a great boardgame)
    7 : Elder sign Omens (don't like the physical one, but this IOs game is much more intersting than the original one ^^)
    8 : Carcassone (excellent conversion of a popular game)
    9 : Catan (same as above)
    10 : Alien frontiers (Kickstarter powaa)
    11 : Yggdrasil (Stephane Maurel's job is always good)
    12 : Dominant species (hard to learn, but really good)
    13 : Age of Stone (excellent game to begin with)
    14 : Samurai (because this top needs one Knizia's game)
    15 : Nightfall (third Playdek conversion, quite good too)
    16 : Kingdom Builder (good physical game, but poor conversion)
    17 : Ghost Stories (excellent cooperativ game)
    18 : Forbidden Island (same as above)
    19 : Smallworld (good conversion of a great game, but 1v1 is too limited)
    20 : TimeLine (because we need a family game ^^)

Obviously, this top will change as soon as Eclipse, Through the Ages or Talisman for instance is released.

Edit : I don't want to add Magic 2013 because it's not a boardgame for me, contrary to Ascension, Nightfall, and so on.

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Good list. I think it's interesting that you think of Ascension and Nightfall as boardgames, but not Magic.

20. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    #20 the9quad, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    I'm looking forward to d-day dice and talisman. I personally do not enjoy those worker placement euro games at all. Le Havre and those type of games I just don't get. also how is Yggdrasil? I've put off buying it because it has poor iTunes reviews about bugs and such and it's never been updated.

I agree I think ascension is a card game, summoner wars eh maybe a board game since unit placement is kind of key