Best language-game apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GamesBrained, Oct 5, 2012.

1. GamesBrained

GamesBrained New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Aspiring writer/teacher/Asia explorer
    Hey everybody. I'm a student of Japanese and Chinese, and I rarely use forums, but I figured this was a good enough question to throw out there. I've recently stumbled upon a game called Learn Mandarin with Penyo Pal Dance Party (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/learn-mandarin-penyo-pal-dance/id550378767?mt=8), a really bizarre game that is actually really useful for giving me practice with my weakest part of Chinese - the tones.

This made me think, has anyone ever come across any other really useful games like this for either of these languages (Japanese/Mandarin Chinese)? Are there any other speakers out there who also happen to love games like me? I'm sure there are plenty of people who have learned a little of either of these languages, but I'm advanced in both and most things I have found (besides language dictionaries) on the App Store or otherwise are way, way too easy. For instance, game-ification of learning the kana in Japanese is just silly at my level - I've been using the kana for years.

Shane

2. katiezeal25

katiezeal25 Member

Sep 14, 2012
    1. Cube
    Cube is a singleplayer and multiplayer first person shooter that provides satisfying and fast old
    school gameplay. It is a landscape-style engine that pretends to be an indoor FPS engine, which
    combines very high precision dynamic occlusion culling with a form of geometric mipmapping on
    the whole world.
    2. Armado Lite
    Guide Armado as he rolls, jumps and crashes his way through this action packed journey.
    3. RhinoBall
    Tilt your iPhone forwards, backwards, left and right to guide Rhino through the city streets,
    avoiding cars and other obstacles on your way to the finish line. Collect bonus lightning bolts and
    hit the launching ramps for a FULLY AWESOME adventure.
    4. Blue Skies Lite
    Use the accelerometer to pilot your helicopter and out maneuver enemy tanks, planes,
    helicopters, blimps and mines.
    5. Cannon Challenge
    Take charge of your own Non-Lite-of-Sight Cannon, the revolutionary gun that represents the
    future of US Field Artillery. Use stimulated elevation and velocity controls to destroy enemy
    targets with indirect fire.
    6. TapDefense
    TapDefense is a new TOWER DEFENSE strategy game that you can take you with you all day
    long. Play for hours or salvage snippets of time on the go.
    7. iBasketball
    Ibasketball is the newest way to shoot baskets with your iPhone. Using your iPhone to make a
    shot motion, play a game of around the world and see how many baskets you can make.
    8. iGolf
    iGolf let’s you swing your iPhone like a golf club and then tells you how far your shot went. It
    gauges how fast you swung and how far your shot traveled with the iPhone’s accelerometer. It’s
    like having a driving range wherever you go.
    9. Adrenaline Pool Lite
    Adrenaline Pool Lite features authentic physcis. 8-Ball, 9-Ball, Straight, Snooker against players
    from all over the world. It provides a cool 3D view with particle effects.
    10. iBall3D
    iBall3D is a remake of the classic Labyrinth game but in 3D. You will have to guide a ball from a
    location to another, by orienting your iPhone to avoid the holes.
    11) jelly car (you play as a car and have to drive through obstacles and reach the finish line)
    12) glow doodle jump (this is exactly like doodle jump except its a lot cooler and even better its free)
    13) donut games company (this is a company that makes many great free apps. there are too many to name so im just putting the name of the company)
    14) age across ex (this is a free rpg and its really fun)
    15) movies (this is a great app for checking what movies are coming out and to check the times in your movie theater. even order tickets)
    16) gameloft compony (this is a company that makes great paid games but also have many lite games. give'm a try)
    17) Bargainbin (this is an app that you can use to check what other apps on sale. really comes in handy)
    18) scribble (you play as a stickfigure who has to go through obsticles to get to the finish line)
    19) trace (its like the game above)
    I have all of these apps. played them all love them all

3. GamesBrained

GamesBrained New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I'm sorry but this wasn't at all what my question was about. I thank you for your reply, but I am really interested in finding other good game apps for advanced speakers in either of the languages I listed. I could also produce a list of my favorite apps, I recently went a little stir-crazy while healing from a surgery and spent about $80 on games from the App Store...

4. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #4 violentv, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    lol.. what level is your Japanese at? Have you considered trying out the visual novels in the Appstore? Steins;gate , Clannad, 11eyes etc ..oh btw..11eyes has also been translated into Chinese and is available in the Appstore as well..of course it is still voiced by the Japanese seiyuus.

I think I remember seeing a Miku game that helps with the kanjis as well as a Baka to Test one.. but you probably have to be in tune with otaku culture to enjoy them. I am a native Chinese speaker but I am totally ignorant of the state of Chinese apps in the Appstore...so I can't help you with that! Btw.. I heard Siri supports Chinese now? lol

5. GamesBrained

GamesBrained New Member

Oct 5, 2012
    I was advanced Japanese (studied 4 years) but it has been 2 years since I really used it. My Chinese isn't as good but it is fresher in my mind (lived in Taiwan for a year, last year). Wow I like your suggestions, that is really what I was looking for! I really like the title of 'Baka to Test' haha! :) I'm no otaku for sure, but I do like manga and anime in a casual way, I knew immediately who Hatsune Miku was when you mentioned it, for example :p I'll check them out!

My girlfriend, who is Taiwanese, said there was recently some big RPG series from her youth being ported to iOS, it has a mandarin name and I'll have to get her to help me get the exact characters to write it, but it looks pretty cool. I don't know if it is a Taiwan-only kind of game so you might not be familiar with it unless you happen to be from there as well!

Thanks!

6. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    lol...could it be 仙劍奇俠傳 ?!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xian-jian-qi-xia-chuan5-jian/id500108743?mt=8