In App Purchases...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pchukwura, Feb 25, 2011.

1. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    This is a question for anyone who is utilizing In App Purchases in their game. Is the general convention to have an in app purchase simply unlock features/levels/etc in your game that were already coded there or is data typically downloaded from your own server?

I know there is no recommended or required way, but I just want to know how most of you guys do it. Since my game will involve new aspects of the game, I was planning on simply having the content already present, and it's unlocked when a purchase is made.

Also, if the user buys a new iPhone/iPad and downloads your game again, are they simply out of luck and must re-purchase their previous In-app purchases?

Thanks!

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    I'm not a dev, but if you have your game size at under 20 MB without IAP, you may want to download the IAP from a server so that you can have your app downloadable over 3G.

Also, IAP is linked to an iTunes account, so if you get a new device, you can redownload the IAP for free by signing in with the account that bought it.

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    If it still fits under 20 MB, I find it a lot easier to just store the content in the app, and it also makes the unlock faster for the user.

4. Integrating the required code, graphics, sounds, and data files for IAP items into the app and then unlocking them is an order of magnitude simpler than downloading them.

In order to manage the purchase and download process you need to write your own server code, record transactions to a database, validate receipts by contacting the Apple server, implement the code to download the new assets, load them into the app, etc.

This is, of course, essential to do if you want to add new IAP items without submitting new updates to Apple though.

So it depends on your app which way would work best.

5. pchukwura

Sep 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Ya, I think that having the graphics/data/item etc already in the app is better as I wouldn't (like MindJuice mentioned) have to worry about handling a server, or maintaining/validating their in app purchases etc.

6. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Like all the other said: put them in your game and simpy unlock them. It is so easier than anything else.

If a player already bought your IAP, no worries, he won't have to pay to install it again, and good news: you have nothing to do: Apple will take care of that. Actually, you could offer a button to re-install a previous IAP (there is an option for that in the SDK) but to be honest, I don't even bother with that.

JC

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Does downloading IAP help combat piracy at all? I know the story "you'll never stop piracy, it's better to accept it and move on" but surely some methods are more effective than others?

For what it's worth, regardless of the piracy issue, I'd much rather keep it all in the app for the speed of unlocking it alone.

8. angliyama

angliyama New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #8 angliyama, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    Piracy

Well, It can't be that simple, but I would think that downloading from a server would help combat piracy, as the app would validate the transaction with your server. Obviously you will have to write more backend code, so you should consider the size of your pirated user base.

Also, how big is the IAP? That could be a problem for the user in EDGE, or if it's a big update.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have a record zero (0) :eek: apps in the app store

9. pchukwura

Sep 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    That's indeed true, but I don't think the time/investment, and the opportunity for more bugs (ie. your server is down, backend code bug, etc) is worth it for most games on the AppStore. Especially mine being the first title i'm releasing.

But i do see a benefit in the long run if perhaps you have a few titles that would utilize this or if including the IAP data would increase the size of your game beyond 3G download size. It would also make it HARDER for piracy, but not make it impossible.

10. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    OpenfeintX allows In App Purchase and if you want DLC you can use their servers.

I used it in the past and it worked for DLC.

11. DropDKeith

DropDKeith Well-Known Member

12. pchukwura

Sep 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Seems like a nice service. Thanks for the tip!

13. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hi,

Just another question regarding IAP and unlocking:

if I want to unlock new levels, characters etc, can these items be visible in the frontend before the unlock? Marked with the usual "locked" graphics, or making them grey, but definiately visible in the free version as well.

I have read in a book that Apple does not enable such features which are not working/functional, but that book has written in the age of iOS 3, when the in-app purchases were introduced.

Thanks,
    Helioxfilm

14. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    They can be visible, you are selling them, if they are not visible, players can't buy them. If you are worry about apple, simply don't advertise these items in your app desc.

JC

15. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Dear JC,

Thanks for your reply. As for consumable items, this is clear and straightforward. My basic question relates to the "trial" version, which is free and people can buy the full version via IAP, so after IPA the full version feautes would be unlocked.

Best,
    Gyula

16. Ovogame

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    My game Mini Tropical Mania is a lite version, where you do unlock the full with IAP.
    Apple had no problem with that. The only thing they ask me to change was in the app description on itunes, you could read the world DEMO, they just ask me to change it.

JC

17. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Great! This helps me a lot. Thank you for your help and clarification.