Diceworks - A Steampunk puzzler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dicework, Aug 18, 2009.

1. dicework

dicework Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    #1 dicework, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    We are about to release our first game, a steampunk inspired puzzle game called 'Diceworks', on 28th of August!

It's a rather simple puzzle game, but at least it's not a Bejeweled clone :) The basic idea is to trace your finger on the board to find combinations of dice (pairs, straights and so on).

More information is available on the website (see the links in the signature).

Play the free web version here:
    http://www.dicework.com/games/diceworks/play/

Attached Files:

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm looking forward to it! Stylish and intriguing. I also appreciate how you guys aren't claiming to re-invent gaming as we know it, just a good solid, and in your opinion, addictive little puzzler.

3. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    If we'd claim that, wouldn't it imply that there's something wrong in gaming as it is? :) No, we're perfectly happy in creating games that we feel have a place in the current market.

And oh, the price will be $0.99 (something we forgot even from the official press release, it seems I still have a lot to learn about this PR stuff...)

4. iPhoneAppRatings

iPhoneAppRatings New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Great puzzler

Good: Excellent presentation (graphics, sound effects), fun gameplay

Bad: Can’t think of anything worth mentioning…

Bottom line: Fresh new look at a favorite old puzzler. Get it.

Diceworks is an exciting new look at the old Bubble Breaker/Same Game/etc type game with a few interesting twists. In those old games you select groups of like colors to make them disappear. The more you can pop at a time, the better your score. Diceworks is quite similar, only with numbered tiles instead of colored balls. Using numbers really opens the door for so many new and exciting possibilities.

Valid groups of numbers in this game extend not only to pairs/triples/etc, but also to straights, reverse straights, two pairs, and so forth. If you have a row that includes the numbers 2 2 6 6 6, you can select all five tiles at once and get a significantly higher score than if you selected the 2 2 and 6 6 6 separately. This not only allows you to get some crazy scores, but it speeds things up a bit, too.

The graphics in Diceworks are pretty excellent – as excellent as a tile-game’s graphics can be. There are some really cool animations of gears and things turning in the background and some steam blowing around here and there. The sound effects leave nothing to be desired either – playing this game makes me feel like I’m in some sort of giant machine, with things clicking and ticking, wheels turning, steam escaping. The presentation of this game is truly a treat.

At the time of this writing there is only one tiny, tiny complaint I have. After waiting a few seconds without selecting a group, the game goes ahead and points one out for you. Now, this can be really helpful when you’re in a jam and you need a group fast (in timed mode), but in the play-until-there-are-no-groups-left mode I find it completely unnecessary. Sometimes I want to focus and plan out what I’m going to do to get the next mega-huge combo, and I don’t need the two 5’s on the top row lighting up for me. This is really only a very minor inconvenience (if even that), and it’s nothing the addition of a “Help on/off” button couldn’t fix.

Really though, that’s my only issue with Diceworks. And if a tiny, tiny not-even-problem problem is all I can come up with, I think that really says a lot. This game is definitely worth buying if you like puzzle games, and if you’re fond of games like Bubble Breaker, etc, Diceworks is a must have.

One other cool thing I forgot to mention is that the developers promise an in-browser version to be released on their website in the near future. So with this title, you can try before you buy!

iPhoneAppRatings.org

5. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #5 LordGek, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    Wow, sounds very cool! Is this out yet?

What are the different gameplay modes (it looks like in screenshots they just have clever gem code names)?

6. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    It's out on 28th of August. The web version will be out earlier next week.

There are three game modes, the 'vanilla' (Ruby) mode where you play until you run out of possible moves, a timed mode called Absinthe where you get more time from longer combinations and the more called Orchid where there's a turn limit (basically you have to maximize the score from every move).

The 'clever gem code' names were meant to create a more steampunkish atmosphere. To be honest, I'd really like to know if people prefer those or more straight-forward names. Pressing and holding the game mode button also shows a tooltip that explains the game mode.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I like the name idea - but need the tooltip. I am sure that the casual gamer will complain...

Looks great and I am looking forward to this.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    +1 to this!

It's stylish nonsense but as long as the tooltip explains it, all is good.

In the final mode described, can one earn extra moves?

9. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    Currently, no. We thought about that too, but felt that it went against the nature of the game mode.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, cool enough.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Oh - also consider those casual gamers (like me sometimes) that don't want the frantic, the mind twisting, the top - maybe an endless mode would be a good thing? A good name would be "Locomotion".

12. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    Actually, the basic game mode ("Ruby") is far from frantic or mind twisting, it's the most casual of the lot. Although it's not endless (it ends when the possible moves run out), it's definitely quite relaxed. The web demo (which we're currently working on to bring it out as soon as possible) will include just that mode.

Locomotion? Hmm, sounds nice :)

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What is the connection with Steam Punk and trains? I guess as it is typically taking place in the late 1800's trains were the biggest technological advancement at the moment?

14. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Another puzzle to my list!

The game looks very polished.

15. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland
    That's basically it. And they did run on steam, so they fit naturally into almost any steampunk fiction. Although airships are a lot cooler :)

16. dicework

Aug 18, 2009
    Game Developer
    Finland