Spell Sword 2 (Fire Fruit Forge)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FireFruitForge, Jan 31, 2014.

1. FireFruitForge

FireFruitForge New Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Germany
    The time has finally come!
    Our award winning hack 'n' slash RPG Spell Sword gets a sequel.
    Together with a few different mechanics, the gameplay follows the same formular as its predecessor.

You still need to collect different spell cards to activate the powers of your sword and collect coins to upgrade your character.

Gameplay

The game is an arena based hack 'n' slash RPG. It focuses on collecting spell cards which activate spells and change the power of your sword. For example, collecting the fire card spawns fireballs to nuke your enemies down.
    Then your sword changes into a fire sword for a limited time, providing fire damage and more attack range.

The new dimension

The most significant change to the game is the view. Instead of 2D it now is 2.5D, allowing you to move in any direction on the screen.
    The character is still able to jump, giving you the possibility to jump above enemies and bullets if you are surrounded by swarms of monsters.

Upgrade your character

With coins you can buy new equipment and upgrade the power of your spells.
    A new mechanic are EXP points. Killing enemies now automatically level up your character and provide stat points to upgrade the hero more individual to your fighting style.

Game Modes

Currently are two modes planned. Endless and mission based modus. In the mission mode you have to reach different goals as killing x enemies, defeat the boss, collect x cards etc.

Pricing

The game would fit pretty well to freemium, but we've learned from Spell Sword that it significantly reduces the fun of the game, because the balancing gets off.
    Thats why we are going to release it as a paid game and won't change it to freemium later. There are also no IAP planned.
    Projected price at release is $1,99 - Universial.

Screens
    [​IMG]

Since the game is still in early development we are happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions for new features or ideas for spell cards or things you've missed in the original Spell Sword!

2. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Suggestion!

We should be able to pick up a spell card and we can choose to use it or not.
    And for example i pick two fire spell card it will deal more damage than one card alone. And if your slot is full the spell card you are going to pick will activate and will not go to your slot. And picking up spell card for water+lighting deal a combo? And monsters should have a elemental weakness.

Agree?

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Oh my god one of my most favorite iOS games is getting a sequel! D: Lemme brainstorm

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I still have Spell Sword on my ipad air. :)

One of my favorite arena-based games, and i only like a few. The platforming controls was spot-on, and the character development is one i really enjoyed.

Stoked to hear it's getting a sequel, but im a little worried about the top-down-ish view as opposed to the original's platformer vibe.

Looking forward to news, info, betas and the release!

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #5 JCho133, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Did someone say spell sword 2?!?!?! :D :D :D

I have to agree with EP on the love of the platforming gameplay, but I'm open to new ideas!

A cool thing would be if we had different weapons to choose from. Maybe just 3, like a dagger, sword, or axe. They would change your attack range and attack rate, making gameplay different for each weapon (Dagger: fastest, shortest range Axe: slowest, most range). It would be even cooler if each card would have different effects depending on you weapon.

Also the new character has a kinda weird face

6. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    1. Bring back how the old character look this one looks to short and stubby :(
    2. A female character
    3. Weapons 0.0

7. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Oh what happen to Ace of Blades btw?

8. MinusZero

MinusZero Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Will this be released by Everplay?

9. Mr2far

Mr2far Active Member

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a few suggestions:
    1) bring back the old character design
    2) character customization as far as outifits that change stats either negatively or positive
    3)mix cards to make variations of spells, like fire cards and earth cards( the one that made rock pillars) together make magma or something like that
    4) bosses but not just ones that you hit and hit and they eventually die, every boss should have a stratagey to beat them
    5)REPLAY VALUE!!! Once to finish the game have things to unlock by doing certain task or obtaining certain achievements.

Thanks for listening! @Mr2far

10. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #10 Echoen, Jan 31, 2014
    Went back to playing Spell Sword. Thought of a bunch of things you could bring into SS2:

1)More of those funny pop culture references :D
    2)Bosses, big and not so big. Diabloesque scale. The Butcher. :D
    3)Charged attacks (mega man and mage gauntlet)
    4)More equip slots
    -or just more swords! Some could have passives like a small magnet radius, lifesteal chance, start a game with x seconds of a card's effect, crit damage, etc
    5)Passive skill tree(s), maybe linked to each card if dev time allows it. Not huge but kind of like Battleheart where you can select 1 of 2 skills per tier. 3 tiers?
    6)If you don't like skill trees, how about collectible skill/trait cards? Then you can pick around 5 unique cards to equip. Rare boss cards (and loot) would be addicting.
    7)In relation to skills, you could use double jump to trigger new effects
    8)MFi support will be a killer
    9)iCloud again

I've got some more ideas for skills but they're linked to charging and the trait cards.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Um... What happened to Ace of Blades?

12. FireFruitForge

FireFruitForge New Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Germany
    Hey guys,
    The character feels a bit sad right now, because you picked on him so much. Well... with short legs animations are easier and the big head makes hats more visible, thats why.

We take stuff as card combinations or multiple characters into consideration, but the weapon still has to be a sword, since the game is called Spell Sword.

@Echeon
    Awesome ideas, they fit pretty well to the actual game design. Especially charged attacks are worth to try.

About bosses:
    Bosses are planned, but not extremely spectacular. Bosses have different attacks and movement cycles that repeat themself. Similar to bosses in Zelda in a smaller dimension.

No. FireFruitForge is now indie.

The original version of Ace Of Blades we worked on is cancelled.
    We couldn't find a way to make the game fun enough.
    The name though, still belongs to Everplay, so Everplay might finish a better version of the game together with another dev team.

13. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    great! love the game ... would love having a wiki! still cant understand usage of all the items!

14. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    image.jpg

But i really liked how the old character looked

15. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #15 Echoen, Jan 31, 2014
    Might be the hair. I find it too pointy for the setting. Maybe if you tossed in shades lol Those hats will cover it up anyway

Multiple characters sounds good. At least a female one for the ladies. Not that high up my personal wishlist.

I considered the title myself and thought about different swords. Castlevania SOTN came to mind. The swords had different attack speeds, hit counts and range but it sounds too complex. It could work if you don't have any active cards. I still think unique skins and attached skills should suffice. Up to you guys though. :)

Thought about card combos. How about each card having an active and residual effect? On pick up, fire will give you stronger attacks plus the fireballs. If you pick up another card, you keep a smaller damage bonus plus the new card's active effect (like ice aura and shard burst). Picking up a third card will drop fire's damage bonus and replace it with the 2nd's residual effect (ice is a weaker aura). These effects last up to half of the current active card's max duration. Same cards stack. Sounds kinda imba but it's an idea.

^^^that idea could be like a frenzy mode or whatever you want to call it. Build up a meter and when it's full, cards grant residual powers like above.

Cool,
    I'm gonna tell you this early I will test every build of the game you want to have tested. I loved the first so much and I still recommend it to this day. ;)

I'll start throwing ideas for charged attacks if it'll be a thing.

I guess as long as they're meatier than the rest and offer a bit of a challenge, it's all good. :)

I'm guessing stats will be attack, defense, health, luck and maybe speed?

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I think the only weird part is his nose. Once his face is a bit more normal looking it'll be fine

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Any updates?

18. Rocka

Rocka Member

Oct 18, 2014
    always liked the visual style of spellsword and terra noctis. just stumbled upon this, any updates?

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... Totally forgot about this. Been pretty silent for a huge while though. Wonder how Fire Fruit Forge are doing?

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    ... Time for an Internet scouting mission