App Store price increase for Uk,India, Turkey

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Jan 17, 2017.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Apple to put up the price it charges for apps now to be 99p instead of 79p for the lowest priced games/apps.
    EU referendum has been a bugger!

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Yeah and the Toblerone chocolat bar has gone from 150 grams to 120 grams for the same price ha ha, sorry but the Brexit voters in your country ruined your life and that of others.

3. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    GBP having slid 20% vs the USD from 1.50 to 1.20 since the Brexit, it was sadly to be expected.
    They're playing catch-up yearly or so and their base price is how many bucks they get depending on the exchange rates.

In the euro zone we've had former increases from originally 0.79€ to 0.89€ and the latest from a few years back at 0.99€
    Hoping they won't go up further since euro approach parity.

4. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Yeah they are buggers. Not satisfied till we bankrupt the country, and screw everyone over.

Yeah I did anticipate it at 1st January, they've caught me by surprise waiting 17 days later than usual. Not sure when actual price goes up.

5. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Canada actually had two such increases last year, so that Canadians are now paying roughly a 40% premium vs the US dollar. The current exchange rate value of the Cdn dollar is about 35% of the US dollar, so the AppStore prices are about 5% high. However, a couple of years ago, we were getting a break, when both the Cdn and US AppStore prices were the same, despite the Cdn dollar being worth about 10% lower than the US dollar at that time. I guess that things usually even out in the end.

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    read an article today because of Brexit UK prices will go up 25%

7. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    This is super lame, but it's been coming with Brexit. You only need to look at the Switch launch prices to see that. Any fellow UK brothers and sisters, be sure to download The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth if you haven't already before it goes up by a ridiculous four pounds whenever the increase is :/

8. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Im defo going to purchase but i have to wait till payday so heres hoping it will change after the 24th!?

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I've been umming and ahhing over getting Steins;Gate because it's currently £18.99. Not sure I want to even think about the price increase on that one...

And why didn't I pick up more Square games during the Christmas/new year sale? There will be some big increases coming our way there.

10. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    It's HERE!!! Just been flicking through my wishlist, and the sterling price rises are through. Loads of £2.99 games now £3.99, etc.

Interestingly, at time of posting, many of the more expensive games are unchanged. Binding of Isaac is still £10.99. DragonQuest IV and Romancing Saga 2 are also the same prices - but DQ III is up from £7.99 to £9.99. Biggest climber (feel like I'm doing a Top of the Pops rundown here) is Steins;Gate, which is up from £18.99 to an eye-watering £23.99.

It's possible some app prices have updated and others haven't, but in that case it's weird that some Square Enix games have gone up and others haven't.

I went on a bit of a splurge this week, then felt silly when no price hikes came through. Feel smugly justified now...

11. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I didn't buy anything now I'm screwed. And in-app clash Royale prices have gone up!

12. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Basically, it's cheaper for us Brits to buy apps in euros now. Might look at setting up a Continental account. Actually, I already have a Swedish bank account - must check the SKR exchange rate...

Admittedly, the way things are going, the euro and pound will probably reach parity soon enough.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Donald Trump will make sure that doesn't happen to US! He's got our backs!! ##

14. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Damn, they are still going up. Romancing Saga 2 up from £13.49 to £17.99, which is a flipping big jump. Jade Empire from £7.99 to £9.99. DQIV and Binding of Isaac are still unchanged though, as are the Kairosoft games on my watchlist. Weird.

As for Trump, I'm glad he's got someone's back. Just hope there's no knife in it!