Anyone else sick of Casual and social games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PogoTank, Apr 16, 2011.

1. PogoTank

PogoTank Member

Hey,
    I am working on my new platform game and I was really targeting hardcore gamers, I am sick of hearing buzzwords like Casual games and social games. If another game asks me to spam my friends...:mad:!!!

The game I am making is really gonna be tough, its going to challenge hardcore gamers and hpefully keep people hooked for a while as I make more hardcore action content!

Am I the only one that feels this? Anyone else just want to play games and forget about the rest of the buzzwords that infecting every platform at the moment?

2. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    yeah, buzzwords suck...including "hardcore"

3. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Okay, I'll bite. Yeah, I think the focus on social networking, especially as a substitute for gameplay, is pretty unfortunate. But I don't see how a buzzword like "casual" is any worse than one like "hardcore." I guess it comes down to what you're interested in. There's nothing wrong with a casual game - especially on a phone. You might say it was made for casual rather than hardcore gaming. It always comes down to gameplay. Give me a hardcore puzzle game that I can play "casually" on the subway with one hand - I'll be a happy gamer.

4. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Descriptors aren't "buzzwords" when they actually describe something.

5. OpticCrash

OpticCrash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I just let casual gamers have their fun, nothing wrong with people liking different games.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The only buzzwords I'm sick of are "Insanely addictive!". They should be classed as descriptors, but in reality the majority are just bold-faced lies.

7. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I've found the words that are used most often are true least often.

8. OpticCrash

OpticCrash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    So true. When a developer has to tell you lies about the game.. Don't buy it.

9. bzizizi

bzizizi Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Developer
    Croatia
    I totally feel your pain. But only one solution for this - show that there is a "hardcore" market out there.

10. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Make a hardcore game that will actually attract the masses or quit whining.

11. bzizizi

bzizizi Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Developer
    Croatia
    Trying real hard. Hope other's are too.

12. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I'll tell you one thing you'll never do: make a hardcore platformer on the iPhone. Unless you invent the first ever non-frustrating touch screen control scheme. Here's what I'm sick of - developers who are designing for a console, not an iphone.

13. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Agreed. You have to THINK about these things before you go on trying to make a FPS etc.

14. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    And you have not the 'chance' to see if the dev lies from some body movements of him, cause u can't see him...for more information see the TV serie "LIE TO ME"