Best RPG? Should I make one?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sauce Digital, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi Folks

I'm busy deciding what game to make next. I've done a few sports games, an arcade racer, and match 3 puzzler.

I was wondering about an RPG. I've loved playing them in the past, but havent really tried any on the iPhone. I'm going to pick up the Final Fantasies and Chaos Rings for "research" (I love my job :)). However, i love to know your thoughts on:

How much chatter do they get on TA - would it be worthwhile?
    Which others are the best?
    What would you like to see in an RPG?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

cheers

Morgan

2. jacksoncombs

jacksoncombs Well-Known Member

yeah it would, i like zenotia 2

3. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Alot of the rpg's lack depth on the iphone, i have never completed an rpg on the iphone. I think you should make an rpg because you would get alot of support on the forum, but you would have to do something different. Most of them are the same and very repetitive

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yeah, an RPG would be great. What I'd love to see is a good levelling system in it (so NOT like in CR), and some good graphics (so not Zenonia kind of crap). Also, an interesting storyline, along with at least 5 hours gametime, is a must in my opinion.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    How bout something like Zelda?
    Heh favorite 'asian' RPGs are zenonia, across age, and inotia 2.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is a very big subject, with many diverging paths. Do search for threads with "RPG" in the title and you'll find many discussions about what the best RPG is. Frankly, it would probably be best if you take your inspiration from elsewhere; Chaos Rings and The Quest are a good place to start on the iPlatform, but there are so many other classics available on the DS and PSP (not to mention older platforms like Playstation 1 & 2, SNES, etc).

Keep in mind that there are a few heavy hitters coming soon: Aralon, Xenome, Rimelands, Ravensword II, and Spirit Hunter Mineko. RPGs are very popular in general, and only lightly represented on the platform. The key is to come up with something different enough to get people excited.

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    How about something along the lines of Ragnarok Online(mainly class/stat/skillwise). It doesn't necessarily need to be a full on Mmorpg. But it would be nice to have epic Monster battles online (up to 10-20 people on one HUGE monster) for rare drops and PvP because people love that (minus me, I'm more of a co-op person).

It could still manage to be along the Zenonia lines of gameplay which I think is pure awesome from the art down to every little detail of depth. Have a pet system implemented that can level and gain stats as well as its own skill tree and your good to go! Every character would have damn there it's own party system with a large assortment of pet types.

Just some thoughts...

8. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Sorry, must respond to this.

1. MMO: iPT users can only play if there is wifi. If there is wifi, there is usually a computer near them. They'll play on that instead. = MMO idea is bad IMO.

2. Zenonia might have amazing gameplay and ideas, but come on. 'Pure awesome art'?

9. Fletch11

Fletch11 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I would like to see a diablo type of RPG.

10. NightAssailant

NightAssailant Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    something like pokemon?

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    To each it's own...I am intrigued by it and always have been for pretty much all of Gamevil's style of anime (as well as RO). Regardless the number in sales dont lie.

To be more in detail regarding what my thoughts were to add to the thread. It would be an offline game with online modes (co-op scenario with giant monster battles, and a PvP mode) sort of in the area of of Z2 and Inotia 2. Sorry I worded it wrong, but I play all my games on my iTouch (WiFi limited as well so I'm with you on this) and my iPhone has certain helpful non time consuming apps mainly to save on battery life.

The elements from RO I honestly think are down right awesome from being able to start out as a novice, apply for a job from several classes and obtain skills unique to it's class(as well as side professions that can be leveled), and transcend into an even stronger class with extra skills/better stats after you reach a certain point on your initial class. Alchemy from drops, stat points, skill points/trees, huge area's to explore, Lot's of depth as well as gameplay life, and replayability, etc...

This will give you an idea of classes:

http://ratemyserver.net/index.php?page=skill_db_class

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/game/jobintro.asp

Weapons, armors, monsters, skills, etc:

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/game/runlibrary.asp

Questing:

http://ratemyserver.net/quest_db.php

Just my opinions to contribute in better detail. Hope it helps...

12. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    which RPG on iPhone do you think has the best art?

m

13. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Make it like Fallout. ;)

14. cloudcastles

cloudcastles Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    I love rpg.... If you're going to make one, I hope you include a good map with some sort of character locator. The iphone screen is so small, if the world is big, I find it easy to forget where I've been and where I'm supposed to go. I'm also one of those who dislikes Zenonia style graphics. Superb graphics and animation (like some Gameloft games, for instance) appeals to me. And good music also helps build the game environment.

I like lots of character, weapon & skill upgrades. A good story line would probably help, although to me that's not highly important since most -- if not all -- games, are littered with cliches and thin plots. (I happen to be a published writer specializing in SF&F). But I don't bother about game "stories" since the actual gameplay is the focal point.

15. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    The Quest is absolutely the deepest rpg on the platform. And I think it will be for a while. Even the upcoming Aralon I doubt will beat the quest in that area even if it has much better graphics.

The Quest is my favorite iphone rpg because it features true role-playing and an open world. No other rpg is like that to me. Also, I find the zenonia and inotia games to be boring grindfests with way too much dialogue and not enough character development.

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #16 squarezero, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Funny, as a published writer I would think that you would appreciate a good story.

Story is at the core of all the great RPGs. Sure, many of them are unoriginal, but they all introduce us to compelling characters, created dramatic situations, and allow the player to make meaningful choices. Without a good story every RPG turns into repetitive grinding or an exercise in item management -- neither of which I personally find very appealing.

As far as graphics are concerned, the best graphics of any RPG in the App Store are surely Chaos Ring's (which, by the way, has a very good and original level system, thank you very much). But knowing your work, Sauce Digital, I think you will probably be more comfortable with something much more cartoony. I think an updated retro look like Dragon Quest IV (on the DS) would fit you well; take a look at Rotten City, too, which has fantastic pixel art (though not really a full-fledged RPG).

One thing that is seriously lacking in the App Store are non-fantasy themed RPGs. Somebody mentioned Fallout, but there's already a similarly-themed RPG coming out soon (Xenome); I would perhaps look at something more space opera-like. Or how about something set in the present, like The World Ends With You?

17. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    Please dont make an action RPG like zenonia, Action rpg's dont play well on iPhone imo...

18. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    #18 Balu`, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Right now it's Steam Pirates if we are talking about 2d, Ravensword (yeah, I know, it's not an RPG according to many people) if 3d.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Chaos Rings has better animation, but you're right that Ravensword has the best 3D art in general. Steam Pirates is up there, 2D wise, for sure.

20. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    It's not so much that he can't appreciate a good story, it's that he knows what makes a story. I happen to agree with him, and actually gave up on playing RPG's for their stories ages ago. Games like Pokemon, SMT, roguelikes, and tactics games really draw me in with their gameplay. Some RPG's can set a very good mood and setting, but for telling stories RPG's have proven to be the worst format yet.

The biggest problem is that the stories are written as a second thought, always, you dont get a great writer writing the story, and then looking for a developer to put it to a game to the writers vision, and not allowing the gameplay to take precedents to the story(eg, boss battles need to be written in, towns need to be written in with side quests, the opening town needs to be a tutorial, dungeons, game mechanics of RPGs). This isnt how video games work, they are made by a group of people looking to make a game that will sell as well as possible, and RPGs are the worst because they force filler, and usually cliches and melodrama, and force emotions and they hav to have an end boss and certain mini bosses, and a party needs to be formed, and there needs to be a quest, and maybe a little romance, and you get an RPG story. Never anything well written because they aren't written they are produced, of course most video game players dont care, they just want something that keeps them going through the game, with neat plot twists and anime stereotypes to keep them hooked. And of course sometimes you get an interesting game auteur without commercialization on his mind when coming up with a concept, but they make games not stories still. This leads to games like katamari or many great iphone games or, interesting game concepts, not story concepts. And I am not talking about those games, I am talking about the stories in RPG.