Its a guys world

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TIMELESS, Sep 18, 2009.

1. TIMELESS

TIMELESS Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I would say 90% of these games are for guys. Whats up with that. I like too play games too just do not have much of a choice as the guys do. Do you think guys are the only one with money. WRONG

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Because 90% of the gamers are guys....

If girls had a signifinicant presence in the gaming world, then there would be a lot more games that might appeal to girls - most of the games that I like, puzzle, match 3, logic, etc have no gender bias...

Of course, if people are going to start developing for girls games, they would have to have some clue about how they think - so that leaves 90 % of the developers (who are male) out of luck...:p

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    90%? No, just no...

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Please don't make threads that are entirely pointless and completely false.

5. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    does it really matter?
    odds are half of the games are for both genders
    also most of the gamers are guys too

6. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    He's right. Gamers are like 50/50 for gender when it comes to casual games. But I would dispute the fact that there aren't any games for girls. In fact, the app store is full of games that girls would enjoy. Time management games, hidden object games, match 3 games, puzzle games, you just need to know where to look :cool:

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I would say that there are quite a few games in genres that appeal to women just as much as men. Time management, hidden object, adventure, match 3 puzzle, etc. as others have stated.

That said, the lack of many games targeted mainly to female gamers has less to do with the makeup of the consumer base and more to do with the make up of development studios. The fact is that there is a sizable and growing base of female gamers (one of the fastest growing groups, actually), but the industry as a whole hasn't really grown much in having female developers. When you don't have many female devs, how many devs are going to really understand what types of games females might want to play?

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    90% of gamers are guys?
    Where in the world did you get that statistic? Did you just make it up?
    Females comprise a much larger percentage of the gaming population than 10%.
    To the OP: I think most games can be enjoyed by either sex. Some females like Bejeweled, some like Silent Hill---and some of us like both! ;)
    I think it's probably the same for guys...although the guys who like Bejeweled or Bookworm probably have those icons tucked away on one of the last pages...:rolleyes:

9. stnsn

stnsn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Wait, what? Seriously?

Tell me one game, that is solely played by guys... You will find none. The other way around there is no game, that is solely played by girls.

There are more than enough girls playing racing games, shooters, even sports and xxx games whilest there are only some guys playing for example horse or dress-up games. So if anything at all, there are more gender specific games for women than for men...

Just because one girl does not enjoy a round of Gears, does not mean that two other girls do not love to curb stomp the sh*t outta Locusts. ;)

Look at it this way, if the audience will buy more copies of Barbie in Dreamcastle-Horse-Land, the Publishers will not be so dumb and release Call of Duty 24 when they can make much more money with another Genre/game.

Oh and just one thing to get out there: Look at many of the best selling apps in the store, do you really think Super Monkey Ball, Rolando 1/2, Flight Control, Harbor Master, Monopoly, Tetris, Paper Toss, etc. etc. are geared towards a mainly male audience and shutting out females?

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Amy gets a tan is solely played by guys. I think.

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Hey OK - I consider myself well done from all the flames coming my way...

Of course I made up the statistic - I guess one can't pull anyone's chain anymore - humor has gone from TA....:(

12. stnsn

stnsn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    And why is that? Do you really think "Brad get's a tan" would only be played by girls? (If that App was available...)

13. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Xbox or PS3 are pretty much 100% designed for guys, but girls still play them

I would say majority of iPhone games are for everyone. Lots of girls I know have iPod Touches or iPhones and have a lot of games. Whenever I let girls play with my phone they always end up playing pocket god or something like that

14. EFC

EFC Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Game Developer
    Is it because 90% of game developers are guys?

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The majority of iPhone games are non-gender specific. Plenty of them feature random blobs or robots as main characters which could appeal to either side... and even bigger number don't have any characters at all (word games, puzzle games etc) and besides, even if a game is about a man running around with a gun... no one actually SAID it's for guys... it's just the girls' fault for not being interested in it. Expand your horizons, this is what games are like.

16. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Try picking up a little game called 'iBlast Moki'.

17. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Are guys suppose to play only GIjoe-ish games and girls only play barbie-pink games. I thought we are way pass that kind of stereotyping thing.

If you don't like what's out there, maybe you just don't like games and should find a different hobby. :)

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Exactly. I spend a lot of my time slaying demons and shooting people in the face point blank, but I'll also kick back from time to time and make a few pretty cakes. If I can do that, I'm sure the girls can pluck up enough courage to wield a sword or two.

19. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

Oh hell yea, I play with my barbies 24/7

20. EggyToast

EggyToast New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    I'd like to know what these "girl games" are that the OP is looking for. What in particular qualifies as a girl game to her(?)?

My particular household is 50% male gamers and 50% female gamers. OK, maybe there's no plural involved, but we play pretty much the same games. iTunes 9 really helps in that regard as we can swap apps back & forth without worrying about paying twice. And games that we know we'll both like are, essentially, half price.

But I don't want to play FPS games on my iPhone and she doesn't want to play "Sally's Salon."