Game art requirements

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by travelnwander, Jan 14, 2011.

1. travelnwander

travelnwander New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I know this is a bit of a RTFM type question, but-

I am hoping to develop my first game utilizing cocos2d and an underemployed relative to produce the game art.

My question is, what is form the game art needs to be (Wispin is a good example of final product, though couldn't conceptually be further apart) in to make it usable for either standard or retina display.

Thanks.

2. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

If you want to be able to quickly generate art for both standard definition and high definition, your best bet is to use vector graphics. That way you can scale your art for whichever resolution you need.

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well it depends..

not everything is easily doable in vector art.. so the first thing i would suggest is to think about what devices you want to support.

based on that let the artist do the first mockups of the scenes so he gets a feeling how to best approach things.. from there you can continue down the road to check for example if some things are easier done in vector, or modeled in 3d, or done in traditional raster gfx.

at the end only you can tell what requeirements there are because you know your project.

4. kii

kii Active Member

#4 kii, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    game art

somehow this was a repeat message -
    couldn't see how to delete it
    so fixing it this way for now

how do i delete posts ?

5. kii

kii Active Member