iPod/iPhone gamers better not be forgotten

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KillBill18, Apr 3, 2010.

1. KillBill18

KillBill18 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Already, I see so many improvements for the iPad games, such an Endless mode for Tetris, 18 minigames for Plants vs. Zombies, etc. I don't think developers should keep these features away from us iPod/iPhone gamers. I wouldn't mind DLC, honestly, so long as people actually have a chance to enjoy the same features. Free updates like the Parachute Panic HD one are always nice though. :)

What do you guys think? Do you care if iPad versions of games have exclusive features compared to the iPod/iPhone versions?

2. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

I guarantee iPhone & iPod owners are not forgotten right now. There are somewhere near 100,000,000 iPhone & iPod owners right now and there are only about 250,000 iPad owners. iPhone is still the big market for developers to make a living in.

The iPad is a brand new device though and you're going to see new things for it from nearly everyone. It's more powerful & has a much bigger screen, so there's now way around that iPad games are going to end up with more features. Launch day is just like Superbowl Sunday in excitement. You'll see iPad news tone down considerably very soon.

The iPad is an incredibly capable mobile gaming platform. People are excited about it right now. Game studios still have to put food on the table and iPhone is still a huge player.

3. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I'm still developing for the iPhone and touch, it's a great market and fun to design for. Of course we are doing (and indeed have done) iPad applications for the initial release of the iPad but we will ALWAYS keep improving our applications for the iPhone and touch as well as continue to provide you guys with some silly things to play with :)

On a side note, if you fancy a laugh I just released a new one called "iFan touch" so you can cause mayhem with a rather nasty fan and hmm...fingers...a fish etc :) lots of sillyness and fun :)

I'll post a runup of it soon, too tired at the moment as we had to finish off our iPad app for the release date...not slept for about 4 days :)

4. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I think the Devs are concentrating on getting a Strongr fan following from the iPad owners as it is a CLEAN slate in the iPad Appstore... where in the iPod & the iPhone appstore is already a sea filld with Fart apps & Freemium games... Not to forget... the Flashlights too :D

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    So long as the iPad's app store stays way premium, and has apps that cost as much as $15, and people still buy stuff from the iPhone/iPod Touch app store, there will always be a market for iPhone and iPod Touch applications.

These next few weeks, you may not see a huge focus on the iPhone side, but let the iPad hype subside, and the iPhone should start picking up again :p

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any danger of the iPhone/iPod touch being forgotten. It is by far a larger market than the iPad (although the "race to bottom" have made success a lot harder to come by). At the moment the iPad is the coolest thing out there it's brand new and naturally everyone want to give it a go. Also, as it's a brand new platform it seems most devs are a little wary starting to cutting their prices to the bone just yet. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

As for the iPhone/iTouch I personally don't think matching the features found in iPad apps is the way to go. The goal should always be to deliver the best gaming experience tailored to the platform. Obviously, the larger screen-size alone means there's more room for more complex interfaces. A huge part in software development is actually figuring out what to keep out and not let feature creep destroy the experience.

7. GreenApple

GreenApple Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    It's been a few days now, we are still waiting for they to approve our latest update to an existing iPhone game. I guess they are busy with all the iPad apps submission.

8. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#8 Beto_Machado, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah, right now every Touch and portable website is 100% about the iPad. Even with iPhone games still being released, a lot of sites are not even covering them, like the iPhone has suddenly dissapeared from the market.

It's even worse because the iPad games are 90% ports, and they're still getting all the attention. One, two, three or more features, one after the other, talking about Real Racing, NFS... the same games, again and again and again.

The tiny gap between iPhone and iPod games made the community pretty unified. Now the wedge between between iPad and iPhone communities will be a lot larger, and like the Wii-360/PS3 or the XBox-PS2, there'll be a lot more dissapointments going around. Features that fit the larger screen will be out of iPhone versions, and vice-versa. There will always be some loss there, and i fully expect bickering to start, just like between Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft fans ("why did they keep this feature out, my version is better than yours. if you want it, buy an iPad, buy an iPhone" etc).

9. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    From the developer perspective, and speaking personally I can say that all my applications will be built with all devices in mind, and ALL would have the same features, they are all also coded correctly and thus are resolution indelendant and will work on all the devices fine and just auto up or downscale the assets (images etc) so you really end up with HD on the phone as the resources are such high quality. If resourcing was an issue I would simply build the game for the iPhone / Touch and upscale the graphics for the Pad, not the otehr way around.

10. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, this pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    It seems like people are taking sides, already. From some of the comments I've seen on Youtube, it seems like there is already quite a bit of fanboyism and conflict going on, similar to the douchebags who argue about PS3 vs Xbox 360.