How many games did iOS 7 kill?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kaibosh, Nov 10, 2013.

1. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    I was minutes late to grab Chinatown Wars HD, and now it shows no sign of coming back. How many other games faded off the App Store because of iOS 7?

If a game hasn't been selling much, and the cost to get a broken app fixed is unlikely to be reaped... It seems like ports of games in particular are farmed out to iOS developers, usually by contract. It may be a serious logistical headache to fix a game when the company who ported it have disbanded, etc.

I haven't read the nitty gritty of how iOS 7 broke a lot of apps, it is something to do with memory management and some audio apps were broken beyond repair. If you wrote all of your code around a specific allocation of memory, it may be unthinkable to fix it given new restraints. Obviously coders that by design have more flexible engines are able to tweak around it, but a LOT of current 'crashes' in various new games are undoubtedly an out of memory CTD because their nearly finished game was kicked in the nuts by last minutes changes to iOS 7.

In a way this is like the Direct X fiascos of years past, when they would break compatibility with older code on a regular basis. Ironically it was usually an audio issue, obviously sound is usually a serious memory hog as it has already been as compressed as it can be.

I check once a week to see if Chinatown Wars is back, but it is not looking good. Anything else lost in mists of time?

2. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Vonneguts and Glory seems to have been broken by iOS7.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #3 Exact-Psience, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    Necrorun... iOS7 made it portrait and stretched it to kingdom come.

Just checked and I lost all progress to VR Mission EXT.

4. Blazing star crashes on start.

5. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Contre Jour is nowhere to found since iOS7 arrived...

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Wow, I thought nobody else knew about that game.

Its certainly one of the most interesting shooters (or should I say anti-shooters?) ever.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I purchased it about a month before ios7 and it's unplayable now, was one of my fave games games.

8. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Shaun Inman, Llamasoft, P1XL and Madgarden are buy on sight developers for me.