iPhone Spectromancer HD - by Three Donkeys

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 26, 2012.

1. SirFobos

SirFobos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Police Officer
    Kansas City
    Never played ascension, but I've found this to be a more streamlined game compared to magic. Less management and more focus on the actual battle. U get all pools of manna each round and the deck management is slightly more hands on then magic 2013.

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Anyone any ideas as to how the scoring is calculated in the Single Player League of Heroes matches?

Also there seems to be some strange behaviour in the campaign when you lose a match. The New Duel option seem to be bugged as the game appears to crash after selecting it. Is the only option to completely restart campaigns when you lose a battle?

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Wow!

A CCG like game with an option to have a tournament against AI opponents in a random order and the fact that you can't simply customize your deck for each meet to make the special deck that is the exact counter of your opponent, count me super impressed!

Now here is an annoyance, at least when playing the game on Kongregate which I assume this will be based on, how do I see the innate skill of my chosen spectromancer? Like here in the tournament I'm seeing the special rules in effect due to my opponent but can't see if my spectromancer is causing some rules to be in effect as well.

4. fastspinecho

fastspinecho Active Member

Mar 2, 2012
    #24 fastspinecho, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Here are some comparisons to other games.

Kard Combat: Very similar, in theory. The spells in KC were based on Spectromancer, so you will probably recognize some of them immediately. There are more classes (12) and spells (~200) in Spectromancer than KC. The campaign is roughly similar; defeat AIs under various conditions to strengthen your spells. There is an option to draft spells before the game, unlike KC. The interface is much better, in 2D with less annoying tapping and no scrolling. The art is much better, IMHO, without the bizarre gothic theme. And an active online community is built-in, since you can play against an established PC base.

Magic: Similar in theme and use of creatures/instants to reduce an opponent's life, but less luck-based. Spells are not really "cards" in Spectromancer. They are not shuffled, discarded, or hidden from you. They are drafted or assigned randomly before the game starts, and then you will always have equal access to them throughout the game. You can cast one spell per turn (usually) if you have sufficient power. Power accumulates automatically each turn (no lands) and unused power is stored for later. It's sort of kind of like PvP in a RPG like Diablo, except turn-based, no loot or melee attacks, and with 20 random abilities per match.

Unlike Magic (or most RPGs), you accumulate power in five different categories, and each spell only draws from one category. Much of the strategy revolves around deciding which type of mana to build up, and which type to use immediately for cheap spells. Finally, there are only six slots that can hold creatures, and creatures will always attack the immediately opposing creature (or the other player, if the opposing slot is empty).

Ascension: Quite different. No drafting in-game, although you can optionally draft cards before the game starts. Your "deck" is fixed throughout the game; you do not ever discard or draw new spells. This means you can always plan a few turns ahead. You win by eliminating your opponent, not by buying more cards. You don't really build an "engine" or exploit other snowball effects.

5. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #25 drloony, Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks fastpinecho, helpful that you compared it to some of the great CCG in the app store. I'm still not sure about this one, so many good card games of late, hope to see more impressions
    Edit: after my usual rigorous research routine I'm grabbing this one, hope to see you guys online. :D

6. blackout5056

blackout5056 Member

Aug 26, 2012
    I really want this, but it's not on the store!!! Wth? Anyone know why, how, or when this will pop back up?

7. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #27 soldat7, Aug 26, 2012
    Not universal? This means I can't play on the go like I can Carc and Ascension and Summoner Wars.

I perfectly understand when single-player games are split between iPad and iPhone versions, but board games and card games should be universal. No purchase for me. Ticket to Ride just sits there, and so would this.

Edit: is this thing Retina on either platform? Asynchronous?

8. blackout5056

blackout5056 Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Lol. Why does everyone have this game yet my app store won't register it as being there??? Lol. Ugh.

9. bajaresident

bajaresident Member

May 9, 2012
    Just FYI you can play this on PC or Facebook free if you want to check it out before buying it. I bought the full PC version for $17 about 2 years ago. My biggest complaint is that they almost never update the game, ever. They just rehash it on different platforms exploiting new user bases. Welcome to the club iOS gamers.

10. blackout5056

blackout5056 Member

Aug 26, 2012
    I'm tryin to get it on my iPhone... No luck...

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #31 LordGek, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Doh! Those weren't special spectromancer powers but, I think in a very cool way ala Magic 2013's Plane Chase, just cool random modifiers in effect for each round of play in the tournament. Might be annoying to you both or inadvertently really work into one of the spectromancer's playing style.

Also worth mentioning that thus is CLEARLY the game that inspired that Chillingo abomination of a glitchy mess that, in all honesty, I can't recall the name of at the moment. You know, the half assed port of an old Palm game and probably the very first CCG like game for the iPhone.

As other's had mentioed, I like how there is a lot of overlap for each class in the game. Everyone is playing from some random 16 cards of the game's core 48 cards (1-12 in each of the 4 elements) BUT, there are always a set of an additional 4 spells (drawn out of a pool of 8) exclusive to your class. While I believe there is some auto balancing and the game won't allow some classically overpowering combos, you never really know which 20 spells you'll have in front of you for the duel.

Unique to this game, while I would still call it a card game, is that you don't really have a hand in this game. When the game starts you're given your random set of 20 spells (16 from the core set and 4 unique to your class) all at once. By default you gain 1 mana in each of your 5 schools of magic each turn so you have to decide how you spend this accumulated mana. Do you go for that little 1 point fire mana spell right off or hold off on using any fire spells until you've saved up enough to unleash the big 8 point Fire Elemental? Other than maybe whining about your initial selection of 20 spells, there is never any issue of not drawing the right card at the right time in this card game.

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I went ahead and bit. Great game but lacks Retina (iPad), asynchronous play, and Universal. Hopefully these will be addressed (no chance for Universal, I reckon.)

13. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I think the game looks just good on iPad3 even without Retina. The online matches only last about 10 mins, and that's for a noob like me, so I don't see a problem there either, its well the way it is with games servers. After a few hours of having my @$$ handed to me online I'd recommend this to anybody who likes these fantasy CCG, though this is hardly a collectable card deck with only 2 expansions to speak of. for the game + expansions=$8, I'm happy with purchase :)

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While not universal, can people play across the two formats (i.e. can I play somebody with the iPhone version on my iPad)?

15. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    MrBass (or others) is the campaign enough to be worthwhile as a single-player game only for someone that isn't into MP? I tried Kard Combat and that it was neat, so I'm tempted by this.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You can play tournaments against the AI as any of the 12 classes at multiple difficulty levels. While each tournament is only you facing off in a 10 player tournament, there are multiple leagues so besting 1 will allow you to move onto a tougher group of opponents. I like how each battle throws in some random environmental modifiers (like how you and your opponent will start with less life, a random 10 of your 20 spells will be inaccessable each turn, etc.) sort of like planes in Magic 2013's Plane Chase.

17. fastspinecho

Mar 2, 2012
    #37 fastspinecho, Aug 27, 2012
    You can play people with the PC version if you have the iPad version (I have both). I don't know about iPhone version, but I would bet that it uses the same player pool as the rest.

18. fastspinecho

Mar 2, 2012
    #38 fastspinecho, Aug 27, 2012
    There is a campaign similar to that in Kard Combat. You play a series of AIs under various conditions, some of which I seem to remember from Kard Combat (e.g. both game have a scenario with a creature that respawns itself with +1 attack whenever killed). Like in KC, you often get to choose one of two rewards when you win a battle.

A few differences: First, you select one of three opponents each round in Spectromancer, whereas KC used a ladder. Second, in KC the campaign unlocks new cards, whereas in Spectromancer all cards are unlocked at the start, but you can "upgrade" them into more powerful versions for the duration of the campaign.

19. I seem to enjoy this a tad more than Kard Combat and I really loved Kard Combat don't get me wrong. Each mage you battle in campaign before you start click the "Scenario Description" to see any special victory conditions or special starting advantages. I like the interface overall better. For example in Kard Combat if you have a card that heals all your creatures it'll animate each and everyone one by one but gets old quick. In Spectromancer it'll show it healing all of the +3 simutaneously. Just feels more streamlined.

Yes I am not sure I'll get into multiplayer for awhile. I'll play through many campaigns. Currently doing hard as normal seems too easy. Also you can play single duels with AI and I don't think that'd every get old with a game with this much depth and randomization...always will keep you on your toes.

20. sangreal

sangreal Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Awesome card game.