iPhone Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Trayray, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Think diablo with 1000% more depth, story, thought requirement, strategy, decision making, and things to do in general. This came out originally about the same time as diablo and folks considered this a single player dungeons and dragons session with actual brain usage... Compared to diablo that is.

The combat is live though you can pause it at any time and give your party instructions.

Came out in the mid 90s.

Very very long with a whole lot of story. Lots of equipment, loot.

Well find out price in... 2 days.

2. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    The tension is killing me...it coming out...no, it's delayed. No word from the devs seems like good news(having trouble finding comments about bug fixes). I mean last time they where quick to say its not coming. Every thing, fingers crossed, seems to say its dropping the 28th.

3. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    As of Saturday they were still testing a new build that fixed a crash issue. If they fixed it right away AND apple allows for a quick turnaround we may see it on the 28th, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best way to follow the status of the game is via @TrentOster on Twitter. He's pretty active.

As I said in my previous post, $10 iPad, ($20 with all DLCs) $20 PC/Mac.

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    "We've had three previous revisions approved for sale through the app store. We just need to catch the last crash bug and re-submit. "

So the App Store has 3 version.... just release it ... :D lol
    W'll get the crash update later on... since it's for Ipad1 take your time.. lol

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ahh. Thank you.
    I stand corrected. :)

6. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Baldur's Gate was released in late 1998 to raving reviews.
    It was at the time seen as a revival of good, clean RPG's.
    At the time, RPG's had taken the backseat in most developers mind, due to the new craze of first person shooters, pioneered by Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake.

With an epic storyline, lots of side quest, exploration in a big open world, beautiful artwork, lots of dialogue and meaningful interaction with NPC's it was seen, and in many minds still is, as the pinnacle of RPG's.

You control a character that you create following the Advanced Dungeon & Dragons 2.5 rules.

You can recruit various NPC's in the game, with very different personalities, quest lines, races, classes and alignments, which have a real and tangible affect on the game. If you recruit an NPC that have a good alignment, he will react, sometimes violently, if you or another NPC in the party kill an innocent.

There's banter between characters in your party, sometimes very funny.

The fighting is very tactical. If you expect an easy hack and slash fest a.la Diablo, you'll be in for a big surprise.
    If you don't plan accordingly, or go somewhere where your current level is too low to enter, you'll be slaughtered very quickly.
    This is a proper game. Not just a click and kill game. It's difficult, and therefore ultimately rewarding.

The game is absolutely huge.
    If you can go through it and you explore everything it'll take at east 150 hours. And that's without the expansion pack which is included in this version.
    On top of that is the new quest lines in this edition.

Also, the replay ability of this game s through the roof, as it's a different experience if you play through as a fighter, Mage, Sorceror, cleric, bard, priest etc.
    And you can't have more than 5 NPC's in the party, also you're bound to try some new ones the second playthrough.
    That's why the game still have such a strong following after so many years.

Hmm. I'll stop ranting about the game, because I can't cover a fraction of what makes this game so great, but I'll end with this:

I envy anyone who get to play this game for the first time!!

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    to add to this: the game has an incredible soundtrack and voice acting as well, which was very technologically ambitious at the time. The game was so massive that the original version was six separate CDs. Later iterations compressed it to 3, then finally 1 dvd. I still remember messing around with all of the CD changing haha. Good times.

8. Cougarcat

Aug 21, 2008
    Bad news, guys. Definitely no BG this week:

"iOS build had a game-stopper bug. With current estimate for app store approval, that puts us into next week. We're doing all we can."

"We aren't going home until the new build is submitted. We've done a lot of builds and testing and we are close now."

"Mac OSX approvals are taking longer than iOS, so it is hard to predict. PC is only launch date we can control."

Via @TrentOster.

9. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Sounds like the guys are bullshitters. Missing one release date after another, all this while making loads of empty promises.

Anyway, bout the game itself, is it SP or MP? I have not really played an RPG in my life (yeah, go figure) so I don't know how these work. The closest I have come to is playing Heroes Call on iOS. How do these two compare?

10. Cougarcat

Aug 21, 2008
    They aren't in control of Apple's approval process. It would've been approved in time if it weren't for a last-minute crash bug. The PC version is coming out tomorrow as promised.

It is both. Read some of the posts above that discuss the game--it's a lot different than Heroes call. Tactical, not action, pausible combat, party-based, D&D Rules, etc.

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Damn!!
    :(

12. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Trust me when I tell you that the Baldur's Gate: Enhance Edition will be, if it comes to it`s Content, the biggest Game you will be able to buy for a long, long Time on the iTunes Store and therefor it might be not as easy to fix all those Bugs & Glitches you might pass by while you play through the Game in the next upcoming Months once you sink into the Game.

About the Game itself. Watch that Trailer then you should be pretty much aware of what to expect from the Game...

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Damn ! So close !!!

Oh well one more week (hopefully) isnt the worst thing, shame as everytime it gets close to a release it gets pushed back !

I better tell my wife i'm unavailable late next week instead of this week now ;)

14. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Even after my lengthy post earlier trying to explain the appeal of this game, there's much I couldn't articulate since the game is so big.

I found a review posted only 2 months after the game was released in Nov. 1998.
    Bear in mind, that the very few negative points in the review was fixed in updates to game shortly afterwards.

On top of that, multiple things have been tweaked and fixed in the enhanced version, besides the obvious support for most resolutions, new NPC's, adventures etc.

It's a good read, maybe a required read for anyone undecided.

Click here to read it.

15. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

#335 Planetshooter, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    There are loads of reviews of the original game available if anyone is unfamiliar and wants to find out more.

Start on Metacitic and you'll find a whole bunch of critic reviews with an average Metacritic score of 91. Ok, admittedly, many of those links no longer go to an existing site or review, but the scores and summaries are still on Metacritic!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/baldurs-gate/critic-reviews

There's a decent Wikipedia entry too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate

As usual, if you start following those links, expect to encounter some spoilers.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #336 psj3809, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    Calm down ! This is a major company with a major release coming to iOS, its not going to disappear, shame they found the bug this late but i'm 100% sure its going to happen.

Why dont you simply search for Baldurs Gate on youtube and take a look. Its a huge huge RPG with tons of main quests/side quests and hours and hours of gameplay. When it came out in the late 90's it was amazing, just to have this on the ipad is a dream so even if i have to wait one more week i'm fine with that.

Then again if you've somehow never played an RPG in your life i would probably stay away from this one.

17. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Another Google search you can try, to pass the time, would be "Top 10 CRPG" or "Best CRPG ever". Baldur's Gate or the BG series tend to feature prominently, usually in the top 5 if not the top spot itself, in pretty much all the lists of that type.

Personally, having played these games (BG + BG2) in their original form on PC back when they first came out, I am keen to get BGEE onto my iPad but I'm not about to start crying because it misses a few release dates due to the diligence of the testers and the dedication of the team behind this version.

18. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    What a bummer..

Sigh another wait??!!??Auughhh be still my beating heart...Its becoming a never ending story..:(

19. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    #339 pka4916, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    This is not true..
    There are already 3 versions approved by apple and ready to go.
    They just found a bug.. so this has nothing to do with Apple's approval process.

20. Garret

Garret Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    hurry up next week and come, the more it gets delayed the more i want it