Universal LostWinds - (by Frontier Developments)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 20, 2011.

1. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Update is out!!! ;)

2. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Just picked the game up and I've got to agree with you on this issue. On the iPad, the d-pad is nowhere near the natural position of your thumb when holding the device. At the very least the position should be configurable. But it would be even better if the game responded to your movement anywhere on a 1/3 strip along the side of the screen.

It's a beautiful game but at the moment it is spoiled with awkward controls.

3. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    OK, my quick thoughts (because I am right in the middle of this game) and a question...

-First off, I think the D-Pad is a great addition to this game and doesn't spoil a thing (and a D-Pad in general, when done correctly, is always an extremely accurate method for controls). I find that using the D-Pad with my left finger while swiping with my right works ideally and I prefer this over touching every time I wanted to go somewhere (although I find myself flying around more than anything to get where I want to go, especially once I received the cape). Two suggestions for the D-Pad: 1) I agree that a floating D-Pad (as an option) would be as good of an addition as the D-Pad itself. I downloaded the update and I guess the D-Pad performs better than before the update, but a floating D-Pad, or something along those lines, would be best. 2) This may sound odd, but a D-Pad on BOTH sides of the screen would be a nice option too. I tried switching the D-Pad to the right side for a bit and this is nice when you want to turn around and go the opposite direction while using your left finger to swipe and the right finger on the D-Pad.

-One issue with the swiping is I often end up pulling down the message center bar from the top of the screen by accident :rolleyes: I'm sure there is no way around this and it is rather comical, but also annoying.

-The slowdown of the game in general is somewhat of an issue for me. A great example of this is when you pinch/rotate the green flying 'birdlike' enemies. The game really slows down.

-For anyone starting out on this game, give it time. I took a frustrating amount of time to adjust to the feel of the game, including not only the controls, but the pacing, and just figuring out what to do. Once you find the first chest, the game opens up. This is a peaceful and serene game that will ultimately keep you hooked with puzzles and exploration.

And my question is below for anyone who has gotten through the game somewhat. Let me preface this question by saying that I feel like I am 'cheating' the game at certain points due to my years of 2-D Metroid playing (and might I add, this game is heavily Metroid influenced :D).

I have been using the ball with the 'holes' in it (the one that makes sound when you spin it) to float to higher platforms (before I got the cape). I noticed that when I float this 'ball' along with myself simultaneously, I am able to get more out of my float and am able to reach higher platforms.

My question is, are we supposed to be using this ball to do this? Specifically, I did this in the caves right before I found the first chest because I got stuck and this seemed to be the only way to reach a tall cliff, but I feel like I missed the 'real' way to reach the cliff.

Thanks!

4. Este juego es bueno voy a compartir con mi amigo . . Saludos .

5. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Got this during the sale and finally got around to playing this one. Just finished it, short but a beautiful game! Any official word about the sequel being ported to iOS ? I'd buy it day one

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    EDIT: Nvm

7. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    new YouTube video

http://youtu.be/PgXGbUGWVDM

Hi All,
    we just posted a new youtube video showing realtime radiosity, dynamic lights, refractive & reflective ice on iOS (watch on HD for best effect... ;-)

8. Sri Ram

Mar 6, 2012
    Looks great! Is that from a possible LostWinds 2 port ?

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No, not at all. *directs you to the Upcoming section, and a particular new thread Sanuku created* ;)

10. Sri Ram

Mar 6, 2012
    Sweet! Thanks :D

11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    does this game support icloud savegame transfer between iphone and ipad?

12. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Will those effects come to LostWinds 1 too?

13. frontierdev

frontierdev Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    LostWinds2 trailer & screenshots

Frontier is delighted to announce that the award-winning, enchanting ‘LostWinds’ adventure continues on iOS!

New Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEiFxVwt7Pg&feature=youtu.be

Screenshots:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150818059338817.419774.137564458816&type=1

Amazing new season-switching gameplay. Incredible new wind powers at the tips of your fingers. Beautiful visuals. Expansive new environments to explore. Charming new characters, and an absorbing storyline. Each element builds on the success of the first game to make Frontier’s ‘LostWinds2: Winter of the Melodias’ an unmissable experience on iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.

As you journey through all-new expansive areas of Mistralis - using Enril the Wind Spirit’s amazing new abilities to power young Toku’s jumps and glides and thwart evil Balasar and his minions - you’ll experience realtime radiosity, dynamic lights, dynamic shadows and reflective & refractive ice shaders. These advanced graphical techniques realize the full potential of your Apple device and give the already gorgeous game even extra depth and added beauty.

Harness the brilliance of nature: Sonte, Spirit of Seasons' astonishing powers let you instantly transform Mistralis between Summer and Winter at will to aid your progress
    Frozen Winter ponds and waterfalls become teeming Summer pools in which Toku can dive and unlock secrets
    Form snowballs from the air or manipulate moisture-laden clouds to help with your quest
    Master Enril’s rediscovered incredible cyclone power, using it to transport Toku, smash powerful enemies and even drill through the rock around you
    Expansive new regions of Mistralis provide spectacular arenas for Toku’s jumps and glides
    New enemies and familiar foes to buffet, smash, freeze, burn and douse

Release date and pricing are yet to be announced.

14. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    The graphics, gameplay and attention to detail is AMAZING. Got the first one which is an excellent platformer. Any idea on what sort of price we'll be looking at?

15. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    And will it be Retina? Actually, was the first one Retina? The graphics look good, but seemed to be slightly short of Retina.

16. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #256 dclose, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Congratulations on being Starbucks Pick of the Week this week! I'm a bit surprised this wasn't timed to coincide with the release of the second LostWinds game, but it's great to see your app get this exposure and I hope this drives your sales figures up!

Edit: Surprise! I see the second game is being released tomorrow! Awesome! Great timing then, and I hope the Starbucks campaign leads to even more folks to check out the new title!

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Finished this a couple of days and its fantastic. A truly fantastic platformer with personality. Its a bit short, but now we have its sequel with us

18. brewerpaul

brewerpaul Member

May 11, 2009
    Walkthrough?

Just to save someone the trouble of replying with the mandatory "try searching", I already searched this forum, Google, etc.

Does anyone know of a walkthrough for this game on iPhone? I find plenty for Wii but they aren't very helpful. Thanks.

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Why wouldn't they be helpful? It's an exact port....

20. brewerpaul

brewerpaul Member

May 11, 2009
    I'll look more closely at those walkthroughs. Most seem to be video and I really don't want to watch long videos just to find the spot I'm currently stuck at.

Does "direct port" mean that they take the code from the original game and use it unchanged to the new platform? I know they'd need to make some changes since the OS is different and the original Wii obviously has different controls than the iPhone.