Consumable IAP, a Poll-Discussion (or how I learned to stop worrying & love the bomb)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by andsoitgoes, Mar 30, 2012.

?

Are consumable IAPs a good thing for iOS gaming (or in general)?

1. Yes, consumable IAPs are fine and a fair way to do business.

11.8%
  2. No, they cheapen/break gaming and often seem shady.

82.4%
  3. Yes, for other reasons below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, for other reasons below.

5.9%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I don't know why I feel the urge to start this thread, and if it's inappropriate then mods, feel free to delete it.

I haven't seen a discussion specifically regarding consumable IAP. I'm not talking about permanent unlocks for levels or to, say, unlock the remainder of the game, or "support the devs!" unlocks like in, say, junk jack.

I'm talking about consumable IAPs like Mojo, coins, XP, etc.

I'm not going to say that I am unbiased here, I find that this type of transaction, when used incorrectly, creates a significant stigma towards iOS gaming.

And it's clear, yes you can turn off the ability to purchase IAPs, or just "not do it", but I'd like to hear from both sides. I don't know if I'll change my mind, but I'd like to see it discussed... Unless it turns into a flame war and shows me why it hasn't been discussed previously :)

One point that I have in my mind against consumable IAPs are when, with enough money, they completely break the game or provide a huge advantage to those who are willing to shell out significant money.

So that's my say :)

Nick

2. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    IAPs can be done a lot of ways. Like you mentioned, there are right and wrong ways of going about implementing them. The stigma is a real thing, but as I see it, it is pretty similar to a buggy, broken console game asking full price on store shelves. Still, smartphone games are a young form of gaming and these IAPs are still relatively uncharted waters.

3. Imagine old time arcade game machines. You toss coins to play. That's the oldest consumable IAP!

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Why can't they be both a fair way to do business, while also often cheapening games in a shady manner? If someone were to ask me "Do you like RPGs?" I'd say yes, because it's my favorite genre of games. That doesn't mean I like all RPGs. There are plenty which I'd consider a disgrace to the genre and I think they'd be better off not existing. Likewise, I think there are a select few games with consumable IAP that I see as implementing them in a way that helps the developers earn extra income, while not tarnishing the game itself for those who would prefer not to buy. The other 99% of the time, it's just used in a complete PoS game that should've never existed in the first place.

5. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    When I was at a really awesome arcade that time seemed to forget (Street Fighter Alpha was set on free play!) last weekend, I had that same realization about arcade games and plugging in quarters. I think that IAPs can be a bit more ethical than those old arcade machines that were programmed to be ruthless but it is going to take some time.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The arcade machines to freemium comparison doesn't work for me. Arcades in their heyday were an experience. You paid a premium for that experience, just like going out to the movies. In addition arcade games were in general the best video games out there, for the most part leaps and bounds ahead of the console games that most people could play. iOS games are not that at all ;) Freemium is a cancer destroying the AppStore. Sure it can be done in a way that is minimally offensive to the gamer but 99 times out of 100 it is not. Plus, while everyone's still talking about freemium, it seems like paidmium (freemium style with microtransactions or what not but not even free to download) is taking over the AppStore. To me that's even a bigger problem, especially when the nature of the game's methods for extracting money from its players are not clearly spelled out in the description.

7. Well, frankly, I hate most consumable IAPs currently in app store. They are too greedy and always tend to cheating. Consumable IAP itself is a good thing, but it often be used maliciously.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While some games implement consumable IAPs somewhat fairly, I still hate them in general. For me, I'd MUCH rather pay a higher price for a game and not have to worry about whether I'm going to run out of something needed to progress in the game or be subject to what could become an endless need to get IAPs.

If IAPs are consumable "short cuts", that can sometimes be OK. But if it takes endless, tedious grinding to get the same results, that I can't take.

For me, unless I hear differently from those who have played the game, I usually steer clear of these games whether paid or freemium. The only IAPs I consider okay are for game expansions and full-game unlocks.