Apps with wrong icons?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jbs1, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jbs1

jbs1 Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I have 3.0 and I downloaded a couple apps. Prob is the new app I downloaded has an icon of a different app that was already on my phone. Plus it looks a little greyed out like your finger is pressing it. It keeps happening randomly to new apps I download, and I've tried deleting and reinstalling to no avail.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Yes Apple hurried with this update too just like the 2.0 update and so there will be ALOT of bugs

3. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes!!!! That happened to me too! :mad: It put Tap Tap Revenge on Flick Fishing, 1/3 of the Topple 2 icon was missing, Enigmo was just flat out gone. :eek: Maybe that's the bug Apple was talking about.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i guess its a bug with apps that have added 3.0 features

5. jbs1

jbs1 Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Ok even though it's annoying it's nice to hear others are having the problem too :p

Guess we'll just have to wait for an update.

6. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Happened to me with Harbor Master. I updated to 3.0, too.
    But after installing 3.0, i downloaded Baseball Sluggers directly to iphone 3G and it has the correct icon.

Wild West Pinball on the other hand shows up correctly as well, only having this issue with Harbor Master.

7. ccrider

ccrider Active Member

Oct 30, 2008
    yep

This has been a problem with many of the betas as well.
    Just force restart your phone and the icons should show back up.

(Hold power and home until phone restarts)

8. jbs1

jbs1 Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    The weird thing is I force restart everytime I download a new app before using it, so it's like bouncing around my apps. It'll go from whatever app icon it was screwing with before to the newest app I downloaded. So at all times at least one of my apps has the wrong icon (and greyed out a little).

9. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    All my games didnt open up so i restored.

EVERYONE!! RESTORE!!!

10. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    Restoring didn't work for me baseball slugger is using Alternative Endings icon, strange cause that game isn't even on my iPod

11. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I was just going to start a new thread... Anyway... Got this after sync with iTunes followed by a reboot.

[​IMG]

12. zvnthynn

zvnthynn Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    ok posted this in another thread. i have os 3.0 beta 5 so not sure if it will work for you. for all apps with no icons/showing the wrong icons, launch each one of them, try to play a little. then, restart your phone. just doing a restart won't help. works for me.

13. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hmmm, I haven't had any problems so far. Haven't downloaded a lot of applications since updating though. Has Apple said anything about a list of bugs and when they're planning on fixing them?

14. jbs1

jbs1 Active Member

Apr 9, 2009

didnt seem to work. i tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well and what it does is it shows the right icon while its downloading and then when its done downloading it switches icons and shows a diff app's icon.

i was dl-ing castle of magic and it showed the castle of magic icon but when it was done dl-ing it switched and showed the sway icon sort of greyed out. happens to other apps too not just these two. playing/rebooting/reinstalling doesnt seem to fix. guess well have to wait for update

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    This problem is pretty annoying. It's done it on two out of three of the apps I've downloaded since 3.0. Hopefully, a fix will be in the first update.

16. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    This bug is driving me insane! Any word on how soon a fix will be offered???????

17. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Also happened with Flick Fishing.

18. Sadangelman

Sadangelman Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Well for me ive got Cricket Twenty20 Elite's icon showing up as Y! Music but strange thing is that Y! Music isnt even on my ipod or my computer, in fact ive never even downloaded Y! Music at all.

19. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    From what I can tell, this appears to be an icon cacheing issue. It seems to affix a deleted app's icon to a just installed new app. This would explain why the apps that are already installed and untouched are ok. However, this doesn't explain Sadangelman's issue if he truly never downloaded the Y! Music app.

Any devs have any thoughts on how to "clear the cache" to allow for the correct icons to appear?

20. HandheldGames

HandheldGames Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    CEO & Founder, Creative Director, Producer, & Desi
    Lynnwood, Washington
    LOL.. I've had the "need for speed" calculator.. black icons... etc.. its been going on for a couple of months. at least its not like version 2.0! can't even remember how many times i had to reinstall then!

thx!
    HHG