What is a good price to charge for graphics?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by pcmaster, Dec 2, 2009.

1. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    My friend is good at gfx and He is going to do all that gfx for my iphone game. We haven't decided on a price yet. What do you guys think he should charge. Also in percent of app sales. The app will probably be $1.99. It is a game that will have just a plain polished gfx kinda like flight control or harbor master style gfx. He has his own software to do the gfx and everything. What would you guys charge or think i should charge in percent of sales.
    Thanks in advance.

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Since he's your friend, I would suggest a percent of the game profits. For someone who isn't your friend, I'd suggest a flat rate (it's a trust issue)

As for the %, I would say more than 25% and no more than 50%, depending on his level of skill and time required.

Just to throw some numbers out there, I paid the following for art from three different artists:

$150: Few dozen terrain tiles, highly skilled artist
    $100: About a dozen character portraits
    $75: Full screen, colored, character art

3. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Ok cool so in the 25% range. Thanks i'm new to app development.

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I split 50-50 with Pixel Warrior's artist. He's DGH94 on these forums. He's also the idea guy though, and the marketing guy. He has some really good ideas.

5. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Ok I could see 50-50 if he comes up with the ideas. I'm thinking of paying my artist 30%-35% because he's kindof new at gfx but is good.