The best Android Emulator: BlueStacks vs Andy vs MEmu

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Tristan IABS, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Tristan IABS

Tristan IABS New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    #1 Tristan IABS, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    I am a big fan of Android game, but have always being in a situation where I want to play a game, I couldn’t use my phone or my battery is going to die. Sometimes I even couldn't enjoy some fancy games because of small screen but thick fingers... :)

Well, it is actually possible to solve all the headaches with Android Emulator. When you install an emulator on PC, you get a virtual console in which you can use any Android apps and games. Today, I am going to share my experience of three popular Android emulators: BlueStacks, Andy and MEmu.

• Performance

Benchmark: AnTuTu v5.6
    CPU: Intel i5 3.3GHz
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics: GeForce GTX 950

[​IMG]

To my surprise, MEmu obtain the highest score 96375 and way ahead of the others. Andy's score is 73376 and BlueStacks's is 67807. MEmu seems pulls off this impressive performance by running Android apps natively on x86 processor whenever possible. On the other hand, when launching these three emulators, BlueStacks starts up a little faster than the others. I guess it's probably because BlueStacks is a lightweight solution which doesn't virtualize the full Android system.

• Use and Setup

BlueStacks is extremely easy to install and setup. In fact, there is very few things could be configured. BlueStacks has its own user interface apart from the standard Android interface. Frankly speaking, I am not a fan of this UI although it's particularly focused on games. The worse thing is BlueStacks costs $2 a month to keep playing.

Andy is not as simple as BlueStacks. I did have a problem actually installing it but somehow I fixed it. Once you launch Andy, you will get a standard Android interface and need to connect your Google account to Andy at the first time. Andy offers a handy feature that you can launch Android apps from shortcuts in your Windows desktop.

For MEmu, downloading and installing is amazingly easy. With the default setting, I can directly run any app exactly like it on the Android phone or tablet. I was also surprised that I can change the brand, model and even IMEI, and etc. Sometimes it's very useful, I bet you know that.

• Gaming and Productivity

As you can see, BlueStacks concentrates more on games rather than regular apps, as its home page filled with suggested games by category reveals. Hence, it's no surprise that the suggested games run fairly well. Unfortunately, I found the program to be buggy and slow in some regular apps.

Unlike BlueStacks, Andy focuses on an overall experience for both games and regular apps. It actually plays the game better than BlueStacks in terms of stability, but sometimes a little bit slower. The good thing is that Andy supports third party launcher and even allows the use of widgets.

MEmu also provides a more rounded experience than BlueStacks. It puts all suggested apps and games in MEmu market, but seems most of them are popular in China. So I downloaded a few apps and games from Google Play and they all went very smoothly. One of the things I really like personally is the ability of comprehensive keyboard mapping, since it makes me play shooting game much better than in my Android phone.

• Multiplayer Mode

The multiplayer mode is an innovative feature which makes it possible to run several emulators spontaneously. Instead of pushing other apps/games to the background, you can switch between them on the same computer screen. This is like having several phones for real-time multi-tasking.

BlueStacks and Andy don't support this mode natively, but it's said that you could create multiple instances of BlueStacks or Andy with the help of sandbox.

MEmu has a thoughtful design for this feature. The activation process is very simple and I was able to create several MEmu players in a few clicks. It’s also easy to customize the CPU occupation and RAM of each emulator was introduced. Moreover, it takes up much less resource, compared to sandbox solution. So MEmu wins it clearly.

• Misc Features

BlueStacks offers a feature of syncing apps between your phone and the Windows app via a cloud connect app. Andy lets you use your Android phone as a remote control, mirroring the screen on Andy on your phone. MEmu could be launched from a USB thumb without any software installation. With this portable version, you can easily plug and play and bring MEmu everywhere in your pocket.

• Overall

There are many other Android emulators and your choice really depends on your needs. If you need something super simple that plays some light games occasionally, then BlueStacks may be a good choice. For most of Android fans, Andy and MEmu are definitely worth a try. They are both free and powerful. As to me, I will go with MEmu because of good performance and multiplayer mode.

Well, I will be happy to know your choice or suggestion. :)

• Official Website

BlueStacks: http://www.bluestacks.com
    Andy: http://www.andyroid.net
    MEmu: http://www.xyaz.cn/en

2. Super Bill

Super Bill New Member

Dec 9, 2015
    It's a great sharing, buddy. I used BlueStacks before and will give MEmu a try. :)

3. Jason Richman

Jason Richman Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Hey buddy, thanks for such a great sharing! I've just tried MEmu and it's super amazing! :)

By the way, I hope it could support my Mac as well in short term...

4. Tristan IABS

Tristan IABS New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Glad to hear your feelings of these emulators :)

5. Super Bill

Super Bill New Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I have to say none of them are perfect, but I would choose MEmu if have to pick up one. :)

6. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I have tried and like bluestacks, really easy. But I have not played many games on it. At some point want to go through all the Android exclusives.

7. Super Bill

Super Bill New Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Bluestacks 2.0 is more powerful than 1.x, but I do like its lightweight response. Now it's much more laggy... As to Andy, it's huge, 450MB :eek: file is twice the size of MEMU.

8. Jason Richman

Jason Richman Member

Dec 10, 2015
    I have just tried the latest MEmu 2.3.1 release and it's amazing and super fast!! Actually, I ran into a warning issue last weekend and chat with their facebook guy to raise, then they came up with a new version in only a few days... I have to say, these guys are crazy for this product. Anyway, I am happy with that... hahaha~

9. Tristan IABS

Tristan IABS New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Yes, memu2.3.1 is awesome. I hope they can come up with more useful updates, like upgrade Android kernel. Maybe it's a good idea to start a solo thread for memu then. :)

10. Jason Richman

Jason Richman Member

Dec 10, 2015
    That would be perfect if memu player can upgrade to Android 5.1.

11. Tristan IABS

Tristan IABS New Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Yep, I hope so. I heard they are working on that, but I guess that is not a easy job to make it as stable as we expect. ;) anyway, let's see what they can do.

12. Jason Richman

Jason Richman Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Really? that's cool! I am expecting that very much, not sure other emulators plan, who will be the first one to catch up? hahaha

13. Gypsysoulz

Gypsysoulz New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Hey. Can you help me find the newest portable version. Of memu