Universal Marathon 1 (by Bungie/Soli Deo Gloria)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 7, 2011.

1. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    This brings back happy memories!

One bug found so far: music (which I always want turn off in games when I can). I turned down the music volume to minimum in Settings before I started, but music was on in the game. So I paused and went into Settings and turned it down - fine. But then after dying and respawning, music was on again.

Is there a fix for this, or have I missed something? Thanks!

2. NeoTrunks

NeoTrunks Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Please consider my post as a request :). Great work on the game though. I never played the games fully, just because I wasn't a Mac owner way back when. I did play them with the Aleph One ports, and really enjoyed the games as they had a point. This version captures that same feeling. I just fumble with the aiming from time to time because I'm not used to it.

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks.

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ahhhhh!!!!! This is awesome!! Marathon 1-Inf were some of my favorite games of all time! Wish I had an iPad to play it, but it sounds like it may come to the iPhone soon. Very much looking forward to it. Heh, I think I'll download the iPad version just for the hell of it (who knows, maybe I'll get an iPad in the future just to play this :) ).

5. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Great to see this classic on the iPad, although I think I'm being a colossal noob. I can't make it to the first save point, wherever that is. There's a section with a wall that it looks like you could duck under, and what looks like a door opposite. Its like only 5 mins into the game, probably less. I should go take a screenshot...

6. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I had the same problem. Lol, go into the room where there is the enemies (about 3 green guys and one red guy), kill them and open the switch. Then close the switch because the switch makes the block go up, so you can go through the door. There is a stairway to lead up to the door, then you press the button to make it open.

7. ixyl

ixyl New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I've been looking forward to this release since I heard about it. So many fond memories of watching my older brother play this game when I was 5-6ish. Such an amazingly good game, with a spectacular atmosphere and story, as well as the coolest enemies ever. Thank you so much for this release!

(While we're doing old Bungie cult classics, how about Myth II? :D )

8. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I'm torn between buying the in app purchase HD version, or saving until 9mm comes out. I don't know which one. :confused:

9. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    Ah cheers! I was guessing it was something like that, like I hadn't realised how to push a switch... doh.

10. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Very nice port. It plays surprisingly well; definitely better controls then most games I've tried. Good to see a classic like this.

I bought the HD upgrade as a thank you :) Here's hoping the universal will get out the door soon.

11. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

12. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Is it worth getting, or should I wait for 9mm?

13. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    How does one have anything to do with another? It's $5, get both.

14. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Hey towell,

Sorry for the bug. I just discovered this 2 days before the app went live... I'll track it down for the next release.

Best,
    -dan

15. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Habakuk,

I prefer this . More comprehensive, and has overviews of the levels in graphical format.

Sure helped with playtesting!
    -dan

16. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    There's a bug on level 2. It just crashes.

17. TakenXXDeadly

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    What? I have $10, and 9mm for iPad is going to be $9[AUD]... Even if it was $6[AUD], I wouldn't have enough money.

18. doctorded

doctorded Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT Engineer
    Plantsville, CT
    #38 doctorded, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    Custom controls.

Awesome game, any change of custom controls in the next version?
    Sorry if that was asked already, I did not see it.

-delete- my bad, didn't even see the tap to fire and crosshair. Now the game is even better. Rock on.

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I wonder why there's no iPod/iPhone edition of this. Looks like a promising retro FPS release.

20. vidmaster

vidmaster Active Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Universal support is coming soon. Should have an update out in a month or so.

Best,
    -dan