iPad 2 vs Playstation Vita vs Nintento 3DS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jordanrracer, Mar 13, 2012.

?

Which do YOU prefer?

1. iPad 2

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Playstation Vita

28 vote(s)
    71.8%
  3. Nintendo 3DS

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    #1 Jordanrracer, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    I don't care about the price:

What is the best in your opinion? That's the simple question. Also please no flame wars and fanboys fighting over which is better. Give a simple opinion and move on =).

I'm planning on buying one of the choices.

EDIT: Now I'm just deciding between the Vita and iPad 2.

What I like about the iPad: Games are way cheaper, movie/youtube/web browsing is cool as hell.
    What I like about Vita: Supports better, and mostly good games. (I really like that Mortal Kombat, Capcom vs Marvel, and Little Big Planet are coming out for Vita).

2. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    For games I assume? I voted Vita. Unless you really like Nintendo first-party, the Vita is definitely the way to go. It's got currently unmatched hardware and access to over 300 PSP games as well as a ton of minis. And there's a lot to look forward to on the system. As for the iPad.. they tend to be really expensive while the dedicated handhelds trump it easily in terms of gaming.

3. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I like the iPad. Nintendo 3DS is mainly first-party software. While the Playstation Vita has many great games planned, I will want to see how it performs in it's peak with some hardcore video games, and how it does in the long run. The iPad 3 is apparently super-powerful. I love all of the indie games, and hopefully Onlive will eventually make it's way onto it. But it really depends on the type of game you are looking for. If you want great classic brands, go 3DS. If you want to take your chances on a hardcore device that has not shown it's true potential yet, go Vita. If you want a more expensive, but more versatile tablet that has great indie support and a hopeful future, then go iPad.

If you choose iPad, I would say don't worry about the cost and get an iPad 3.

4. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    I'm sorry but Ipad is not a gaming handheld. It's a portable multimedia device that can play those typical mobile games, not a machine that is centered or capable of playing games that matches DS or Vita.

If you want handheld that only focuses on playing quality games, get either Vita or 3DS.

If you want my opinion, go with 3DS. It already has strong first party line up with some solid 3rd party games like MGS3 and Resident Evil Revelations.

Vita is too early and most of known vita games aren't coming out until at least Fall.

5. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    The iPad 2 is a jack of all trades, and surprisingly master of some... while the Vita is clearly a one-trick pony. Owning both (the iPad 2 and Vita), I can't imagine using my Vita as a video/audio player, nor a web browsing device at all. Hence, I voted for the iPad 2.

On the go, it allows me to carry literally all of my work in a presentable form where my meetings are a breeze... no printouts, no data-rearranging, no mess... just pure ease.

It doesn't solve my gaming needs in ways the Vita nails it, but the OP never asked which I prefer in terms of gaming. So the obvious answer, as many will agree to would be that for gaming, the Vita blows the iPad 2 out of the water... but in terms of what I prefer as an overall device? There's really no comparison.

6. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Vita-best for games-you can put films on it and theres a browser in it for wi fi internet

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #7 S.I.D. CrAzY, Mar 13, 2012
    I voted Vita if you're looking for the best overall gaming machine.

However like it was mentioned before, if you're really into Nintendo first party titles(I'm not), then the 3DS of course can't be beat.

If I was looking for a tablet(I'm not) I have no doubt I'd go for an iPad, over the the other tablets(Android, Windows). I would never get an iPad for just gaming. The best all in one machine is the iPad though, no contest.

The music player/browser on the Vita aren't very good at all. The only way to get the best of everything would be to get all three. Which if you don't care about price should be your choice ;)

In my opinion.

P.S.
    Except the best mobile browser I've ever used is on my Android phone.

8. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'll just throw in the Vita is really good with Video I've been toying with encoding things for it (using xvid4psp) as I just love the oled screen.
    Games wise the Vita has incredible potential I even think the launch titles which are usually some of the weakest on systems are pretty amazing.

I vote vita as I'm in love with mine at the minute.

9. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Right now, the Vita, but i'm a huge beliver of the iOS gaming plataform, so i am letting pass this year to see what's going on with the iOS gaming, i would recomend to you get the Vita (if you hurry, if you don't, i would waiting to the next year).

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #10 dumaz1000, Mar 13, 2012
    Are you a casual/social gamer, or a hardcore/dedicated gamer? Do you like indie developers or major, multi-platform console developers? Do you like playing established AAA franchise titles? Or niche, experimental, non-mainstream titles? It's not difficult to decide, based upon your own personal perferance. I find it funny that someone would pay $500 for an iPad, then turn around and use it on casual/social gaming, but to each their own. The fact that the hardcore gaming device, the Vita, is cheaper then the casual gaming device, the iPad, is kind of ironic (assuming you're buying the iPad primarily as a gaming machine, since it obviously has other applications.)

11. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    I'm looking into the iPad too as it also supports other things like excellent movie presentations, easy web viewing, YouTube, apps, etc.

Generally I'm looking which is the best for everything in general.

12. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    In that case I can't see why the 3DS was even mentioned. I don't think you'll be surfing the web , presenting movies or watching YouTube there anytime soon (I'm not sure if those things are possible).

The Vita however is capable of said features, but keep in mind it's primary purpose is gaming, all else comes second.

13. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    While it's capable of being a bare-bones web-browser and media player, it's hard to see the Vita the same way after owning an iPad... honestly.

If you want a device which excels at MOST things and does a great job at delivering casual gaming experiences, the iPad is the way to go.

If you want to sacrifice on EVERY DEPARTMENT except gaming (ie: screen size, interface, operating system, loading times, etc) and need an absolutely console-like gaming experience on the move, then Vita is your choice.

Close this thread already and go buy something :p

... or, go out and get an iPad 2... + a PS3 :D

14. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #14 tygamr, Mar 13, 2012
    I've got all three (Vita, iPad 2, 3DS). I think it really depends on what you want to use it for. Here's how I'd rank them in several different categories:

Games: 1-Vita
    2-3DS
    3-iPad

Movies/videos: 1-Vita
    2-iPad
    3-3DS

Music: 1-iPad, Vita (It's a tie. Vita is A LOT more portable than the iPad, and the iPad has plenty of apps incompatible with music whereas the Vita works with all Vita games/apps *video apps not included for either* though the iPad has better functionality within the music app than the Vita, but the Vita seems to be able to produce a bigger, better bass out of the music I've listened to on both)
    2-3DS (yes, it actually can play music, but it's more of a novelty type thing- ever wonder what your favorite song sounds like really high pitched going slow-mo? Pretty much all it's good for).

Web Browsing: 1-iPad
    2-Vita
    3-3DS

Apps: 1-iPad (did you really expect to see anything else fill this spot?)
    2-Vita
    3-3DS (this was pretty close between the Vita and 3DS. I think the 3DS has more apps so far, but the Vita has much more practical and better apps).

Portability: 1-3DS (this is pretty much the only one that will comfortably fit in a pants pocket, and is fairly small compared to the others and also the lightest)
    2-Vita (this won't really fit in very many pants pockets unless you wear very baggy jeans, or have deep cargo pockets, but it could fit into a decent sized coat pocket)
    3-iPad (yeah... You'll definitely need a backpack *or a purse... I mean satchel :D* to carry this around)

Ergonomics: 1-Vita (very comfortable to hold- haven't had any hand cramps, nice rounded edges, not too thick or thin, touch screen isn't too big or too small to comfortably use, built in rests for your fingers on the back)
    2- 3DS (borderline comfortable, can cramp hands after extended periods of play time, edges aren't pointy- but aren't quite sharp, it's a rectangle, kind of small in your hands and just a bit on the thin side- could have more to grip)
    3- iPad (very thin which can make it awkward to hold, edges *much like the 3DS* aren't sharp but not quite smooth, screen is too big to use comfortably sometimes, better used on a surface or in your lap than in your hands, not super light and with the weight spread out it can be tiring holding it for extended periods of time)

Overall, it seems I favor the Vita in the entertainment department, but in terms of what you can do with it, it's very limited compared to the iPad. The iPad has many apps that you can do plenty of things with when you don't want to use it as an entertainment device (but why would you use it for anything productive, and why use it if you have a much more capable computer? :p) In terms of games, the Vita seems to have the best bunch because its games don't feel pared down, and it also has the best (and most amount of) control inputs. It ultimately comes down to what franchises you like though (this is really for the Vita and 3DS only- iPad doesn't have too many well known or established franchises available on it).

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I agree the Vita will never be flooded with millions of apps quite like the app store but I do think there will be a reasonable selection based on what Sony is doing with the Playstation Suite .

I really do think Sony has a good longterm plan and the PS Suite will be a way for developers to get their smaller games/apps on mobiles, PS3, Vita and who knows what else.

Useful as a tablet probably not but everyone who buys a Vita is obviously doing it for the bigger games anyway.

16. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Vita just got launched and (gamewise) already destroys the other 2 options.

17. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Not if you're purely a casual gamer, you'll find far greater variety at bargain prices on iOS. There's a case to be said for owning all 3 platforms, though I personally wont be buying a 3DS. iPad+Vita is offereing me the best of both worlds.

18. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah, but if you're a super casual gamer you'll find far greater variety at the price of free on your computer web browser. Just kidding, but still kind of serious- there really are people that like games, but only play web games.

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If I were to pick a handheld for pure gaming, I'd probably pick the 3DS. Paper Mario 3DS. Reason enough. :) I'm most likely just going to use my kids' 3DS to play that, though.

20. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    The TC didn't mention 'web browser' or 'pc' in his poll... stay on track! :p
    You make a good point though, alot of the bargains we get on IOS are even cheaper or free on PC/browser versions.