How many games do you play at one time?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by darkadun, Mar 6, 2014.

1. darkadun

darkadun Member

Dec 21, 2013
    #1 darkadun, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    I'm curious how you guys and gals manage all your games. I have so many games I want to play right now. Mines of Mars just came out, as did Block Fortress: War. Plus, I've already been playing Out There, Bug Heroes 2, Badland and Devil's Attorney.

All awesome games! With so many good games, coming out and old ones I haven't played, I have the constant feeling of wanting to play the next game, instead of focusing and really enjoying the one I'm playing. Maybe I'm weird or alone in this, but it's annoying because I want to give each the game the time and respect it deserves, especially if its well made.

For example, I'm playing Badland. And it's a seriously awesome game, I can't believe how well made it is. But I don't want to blow thru it, just to play the next game on my list.

So, how does everyone approach this? Do you play a 4-5 games at one time, spreading your time evenly. Or do you focus on 1-2 games, beat them and move on?

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm terrible, I have way too many on the go at once and it's still not enough, there's so many that I've never gotten round to trying because something new comes along and takes away my attention.

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Right now I'm actively playing:
    Warhammer Quest
    Shadow Blade
    Nomasaurus
    Waking Mars

Games I'm working through, but have lapsed a bit are:
    Mimpi
    Kairo
    Talisman Prologue
    Type Rider
    Anomoly 2

Games I've sampled, but barely touched are:
    EPOCH 2
    Ghost Trick
    Autumn Dynasty
    Horn
    Machinarium
    Skulls (can't remember the full name)

Games I've played a lot of but not in ages (though I plan to get back to them) are numerous, but they include:
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Tiny Thief
    Superbrothers
    World of Goo
    Badland

And many many more.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I have a huge backlog, that I can't play all games at full completion. Only can play in bite size chunks... Also have a job, so I'm never free. Even on days off I'm working on side projects with people. Maybe when I retire I will just sit down and play games... Or try and spend more time playing games instead of wasting time posting on TA.

5. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    There are so many sales on iOS titles that I see absolutly zero reason to keep a backlog. I just buy a game, typically something I've been wanting and has just gone on sale, beat it and by the time I've finished it something else on my wish list has gone on sale.

6. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I play an assortment of games at a time, although with a very large limit because I have only 8gb on my device. I'm really happy to even have a device.

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Right now my time is being taken up by Bug Heroes 2 for the most part. I also play XCOM quite a bit. Have also been playing through The Room for the past week or so. Also like to have a game for quick bursts of fun. Right now that game is Wave Wave. Also bought Block Fortress Wars and Mines of Mars this week so I'll be digging into those as soon as possible. Just got South Park: The Stick of Truth for PS3 yesterday and will definitely play through that when I can. What can I say? I'm a gamer.

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Forgot that I'm also playing through Sorcery! right now

9. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I keep a folder of mostly new purchases I've never played that I really want to touch but don't dare to as they're generally substantial, multi-hour ones. I really try to reduce my backlog but games come out and go free way too fast for me to beat it.

Gerneally though, I have about five games on the go at any one time. I'll have a massive amount of games that I've played a little of but I normally restart the game from the beginning when I get back to those ones as I've forgotten the controls etc.

At the moment, I'm playing through 9th Dawn, King Cashing 2, Rimelands, The Room Two and Shadow Blade but I'm feeling the lure of several highly tempting games in my "Not Started" folder - Out There, Coldfire Keep, 868-Hack, Baldur's Gate, Bardbarian, Shadow Sun, Mines of Mars, Republique, Device 6, Castle Doombad, Deus Ex: The Fall, Year Walk, Ravensword 2, Block Fortress War, Bug Heroes 2, Gurk III, Penumbear and Shadowrun being the main offenders - you can see why I struggle at times!

10. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    In a perfect world, I'd prefer to beat one game before moving onto the next but alas, I don't. Right now I'm in various stages of completion with Runaway: A Road Adventure, Ava's Quest, Bug Heroes Quest, Swordigo, Prisoner 84, Second Chance Heroes, and Battle Supremacy.

11. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I only play one game then move on to the next

Here is my list

Final Fantasy V (Currently playing)
    Castle of Illusion
    Warhammer Quest
    The World Ends with You
    Assasins Creed Pirates
    Chaos Rings 2
    Clash and Magic
    Machinarium
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Starwars KOTOR
    Battle Supremacy
    Chrono Trigger
    GTA:San Andreas
    EPOCH.2

12. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Buy everything interesting to you, put em in the trunk and forget it all. Stick to a runner and the latest twitch. Whenever you need more space, delete the biggest apps. #FirstWorld

13. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Usually three two at most. One game on my iPad to play at home. A simple game play on the go. Maybe a third one sometimes.

Great list, but it'll take forever to finish all this. :)

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..I think I spend more time browsing on TA and other forums instead of actually playing games. =P

Nowadays, I try to limit to 2-3 games at once. I try to limit to one that has longer story (currently working on Mother 3 for the GBA emulator) and 1-2 quicker/arcade-ish/endless runner games that don't have much story.

I make use of the Appshopper wishlist. I use it more to remind me of games that I want to play next, so when I finish with one game, I'll just buy the next thing I want from the wishlist. I don't use the wishlist for price drops that much anymore, since for some reason, I notice I don't play games as much if I buy them after a price drop. Maybe if I pay full price, I'll take the time to try to fully enjoy the game. But if I buy after a price drop, I think since its so cheap, I don't feel bad not finishing and moving on..

Personally, unless I want to support a particular dev, I typically don't see the point in buying so many games and having a huge backlog for myself. I want to enjoy playing games instead of collecting games.

15. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Due to limited gameplay time, I try to stick to 2-3 games at once, because otherwise I just lose my focus and only play games initially when I buy them and move on before I'm even 10% done.

Do I still buy games? Sure. I have at least 20 games just sitting there waiting for me to play them. Either because I want to support the dev or because of a tempting sale. In a perfect world, I'd have more willpower, but alas, the backlog will just have to keep getting bigger :)

So yeah, I juggle 2-3 games. Usually one full-fledged RPG, one or two roguelikes, or something I can pick up and play easily. I find due to the lack of serious gaming time, having more than 1-2 big RPG games on the go at the same time gets too overwhelming and I forget either mechanics, or where I was in the story, etc.