Already over the RAGE and INFINITY SWORD hype.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by weehoo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    #1 weehoo, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Is it just me, or is anyone else getting over the hype about RAGE and INFINITY SWORD?

I was very hyped about the unreal engine being on iphone that I completely overlooked the mundane-looking gameplay. I was very impressed with RAGE for about 10 minutes, but at 1.3 gigs (uncompressed) for such little content and boring gameplay, I was probably more impressed with the engine, than the actual game.

If you just put aside the hype being created, and just ponder deeply on what kind of game Infinity Blade will be. It's really not that big of a deal. Don't get me wrong. I understand the potential that the RAGE/Unreal engine will bring to iOS gaming, but the direction of the developers is somewhat "half-assed." I think I'm more impressed with what the ARALON Sword and Shadow developers are doing as well as EA's announcement of Battlefield BC iphone.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I cracked up when I read Infinity SWORD.:p

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I seriously doubt that I'll buy IB, and I don't plan on getting Rage, so agreed.

4. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    i never thought much of the hype surrounding rage. i think less about the finished product.

i am, however, very excited for infinity blade. i've read the articles all over the place, and i think the gameplay will be a tremendous amount of fun. it might not be as content-rich as aralon, but it is exactly what i am looking for...a brilliant looking, well polished pick up and play designed specifically for iOS.

i am impressed with aralon.

i couldn't care less about EA.

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Amen brother.
    Actually I am hyped for Infinity though. I know I will be disappointed with the game play because of the hands on videos I saw, but I'm dying to see those gorgeous graphics!

6. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Well I'm more excited for aralon out of all of these, I feel infinity blade has been hyped to long and should just come out! Anyway I will buy all of these anyway because if I don't I would be saving all my iTunes money for no reason!

7. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    You and me both.

:D

The gameplay though, I think will be fun. Intense finger sword fighting? Haven't seen this done before. Especially with the elements of depth, xp and complexity entwined along the sword fighting mechanics.

Sure it may not be as magnificent as Aralon (must must must have) but it still looks as good, in a different way.

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think both games have been over-hyped, purely because of the graphics. I didn't like RAGE much (the controls and gameplay suck), and I'm not too sure that'll I'll like Infinity Blade either. Having nice graphics is cool, but not when you severely dumb down the gameplay. I'm looking forward to Aralon, much more than Infinity Blade. I'm also looking forward to Gameloft's NOVA 2, Shadow Guardian, Asphalt 6 and Dungeon Hunter 2. Also from EA, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Dead Space 2 and from Firemint, Real Racing 2.

9. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Well, while you may think the games are over-hyped, I think the main impact the games have on iDevice gaming is the advancement of their graphic capabilities. I'm sure that sometime down the road, there will be a high-quality game that uses this engine. Remember, technology moves fast, but harnessing the powers of new deveopments will take a bit longer.

10. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    I can't believe people are already drawing conclusions about Infinity Blade. IGN said it will be the best iPhone game of all time, and although IGN are not always right such tremendous acclaim already cannot mean it will be 'mundane'.

11. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #11 dumaz1000, Nov 27, 2010
    I'm over the Rage/Infinity Blade hype because those games are in a sense novelties. I believe they will probably go down in the end as something akin to glorified tech demos. I feel as if both will be fairly limited in terms of what they offer and that neither will be classified as a complete gaming experience. Infinity Blade hasn't been released, so the jury is still out, but that's what my gut feeling says. A complete gaming experience utlizing Epic's Unreal Engine would likely cost a minimum of 19.99, which is a price that vastly exceeds what iDevice owners are generally willing to pay. So the comprise that Epic has made here is to offer less content or a more narrow "stream-lined" experience at a much more affordable cost.

Aralon deserves far more hype then these other two titiles.

12. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I don't believe IGN to be the collective consciousness of the entire gaming community. They are more like a "$$$ paid-to-create-or-influence $$$" the illusion or facade of the collective consciousness of the gaming community.

13. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    If IGN claimed that, you already know that the OP is indeed correct. Just months ago the claimed the top 2 iPod games of all time included drop7 and osmos. Hey, I guess infinity blade won't be much of a stretch from those! Yeah, after seeing the trash called rage, definitely don't care about unreal 3 tech demos. Aralon and the onslaught of new gameloft games will definitely take priority over IB.

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #14 tsharpfilm, Nov 27, 2010
    Kind of, but for slightly different reasons. I don't like teasing and hyping. It tends to turn my excitement into impatience, which quickly turns into indifference so that I don't feel impatient anymore. I still plan on getting Infinity Blade, but I'm not as woo woo about it as I was last week.

The gameplay doesn't look that mundane. I'm sure fans of Fruit Ninja, fighting games, and awesome graphics and boss fights (like myself) will be able to get some enjoyment out of it.

The rails killed that game for me. I thought I would be able to tolerate them, but I couldn't. Not being able to move when and how I wanted removed half of the gameplay, and made Rage a bore after about an hour. I've already deleted it to make more room for podcasts.

Not entirely. I think Epic is testing the waters with Infinity Blade. If they can do well with a smaller game, that'll give them the reason they need to invest more time and money into a larger game.

15. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    drop7 and osmos ARE spectacular games.

gameloft? meh...

16. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    How bout sword and sorcery. That game wasn't mentioned in ur thread an has been getting heck of hyped up and constantly delayed.

17. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Really? Because I haven't noticed the game in ages

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Oh look, people finally realizing graphics aren't everything.

Took ya long enough :rolleyes:

19. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Seriously why is everyone passing judgement on Infinity Blade when no one here has played it yet? Chair Entertainment is taking a fresh approach to iOS gaming. Here's a quote from the lead game designer of IB:

Chair is actually making a game made for the iPhone and not trying to make the iPhone fit the traditional control scheme of games played with buttons on controllers. I for one am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. Everyone here wants to see the iPhone advance as a gaming platform and I think that is certainly what Chair is trying to do.

20. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    It's still not possible to create games, that have such powerful graphics combined with "full-console" gameplay on iDevices. I'm sure that we'll see games with the unreal engine, that have a open worlds to discover and so on, but not with the current hardware.