Sony reqruiting iphone developers to have iphone games ported to psp go

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ooo...shiny, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Ooo...shiny

Ooo...shiny Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Chemist
    Bay Area
    I just thought that this was an interesting story.
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/PSPgo/news.asp?c=14946

I know that there are a number of iphone titles that I have bought that I wish there were physical controls for and Sony here may be hitting apple in a vulnerable spot.

I also know that many iphone titles are and have been available for other phones, but I think this is the first real sign any major game company has shown that apple is a threat in the gaming market and that they don't want to get too far behind.

So any thoughts TA? Do you see the Psp go as a possible future ipod touch competitor in terms of content? Is anyone here thinking about getting one? Or will all of these systems just learn to coexist?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Betting they'll try and raise the price without enhancing the games enough to be worthwhile.

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

No I don't see them being a competitior, people buy an iPhone for the revolutionary phone features it has, and they just get some inexpensive games to help them with boredom. People buy a PSP to play graphically intensive emmersive deep games, not pocket god or doodle jump. But, there will be some exceptions like if you put real racing or something like that on PSP I see it selling well

4. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Well Gameloft has brought a few of their iPhone title to DSWare so I don't see why Sony wouldn't want a slice of the action as well.

5. Nico75

Nico75 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Yeah I guess this is why subatomic is making fieldrunners for the psp

6. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    they've made game for all the consoles, they've been around since 1999

7. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    There's no reason to think PSP owners don't like cheap games too. Xbox live has tons of "cheap" games that do well in addition to Fallout 3 and GTA 4.

I don't think there's that much competition though... In the end most iphone owners bought it because they wanted a cool phone, and most ipod touch owners for the ipod features plus the wifi, apps, etc. Gaming is pretty secondary, maybe some ipod touch owners bought it specifically for gaming but for most it's a multi purpose entertainment device. People buy PSP for games mostly, and the other features are secondary.

So I could see where iphone/ipod sales are eating into PSP and DS sales, because casual gamers are getting all they need and don't need another device. I don't think it's the other way around though.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    couldn't have stated it better than Mormoop, so I won't.

What I don't understand about Sony is that they want to capture that ultra casual market alongside the core gamer that they have with PSP, and thus they're releasing the Go. But the Go is just a PSP...sans UMD drive but with internal SDD, and priced almost $100 more.

What could've been the better avenue?

Put the PSP hardware...into a phone and/or put it into their own Walkman line of MP3 players. Basically, take the hardware that is in the portable game system market, and use it in the mobile market. Two birds with one stone. Now you have one tech that is in competition with both Nintendo in the portable game system market AND competing with iPhone/touch and (Android and ZuneHD) in the mobile market.

Instead, they just change the model in an attempt to capture the interest of more casual consumers...but those consumers being targeted aren't really those interested in hardware that is primarily focused on game software. And that's who they're attempting to capture because that price ($249) sure as heck makes it certain that those interested in DSi aren't the target audience.

It's just...a not-so-well-thought out strategy IMHO.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Most Xbox Live games are $10 now, with an increasing amount coming out at $14.99. While it may be "cheap" for a console game I wouldn't associate it with the awesomely cheap games we get here.

I'm sure the gamers would love it, but I doubt Sony is gonna go that low.