Activision: we don't view Appstore as opportunity for dedicated games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Dec 2, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    For those who wonder why some of us laud Gameloft's efforts to bring traditional games to the Appstore in the form of clones, this article is a small example of why:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/02/kotick-says-app-store-and-facebook-games-not-a-big-opportunity/

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Gameloft > Activison.

Both are cloning games (a sequel is nothing more than a clone of the old game). GL atleast keeps it interesting by cloning so many genres and bringing it to a platform where it wasnt done before.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Looks like they're a bunch of idiots.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

But yet someone gave the green light to Tony Hawk Shred, that's making them a lot of money.:rolleyes:

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Gameloft is to Activision-Blizzard as beef jerky is to filet mignon. You can criticize A-B for relying on sequels, but I can't think of any company that does them better. I'd gladly spend 60 bucks on an A-B title than 6-7 bucks for Gameloft releases.

I happen to like GL games, but I'm being realistic, you can't compare the two companies especially in terms of quality.

6. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    But Activision publish games for CONSOLES. Gameloft for iOS, which is an extremely unfair comparison. INSM must be focusing on iOS games, which in that case Gameloft, although 'cloning' are far, far superior.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Screw Activision. We don't need them.

iOS gaming is already awesome enough with Gameloft, EA, Capcom, Crescent Moon, Firemint, Chair etc.

8. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Well I guess there's no seeing Black-Ops zombie maps.

9. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Man I hate Activision now. the iOS systems are becoming bigger and bigger with gamers, so why not make games for em? Sure they most likely would go for less than big console games, but there are some games on the app store that surpass the quality of other handheld games, and until they see that the iOS devices are worthy for they're "good" games, I won't support them. Never really liked console games as much as mobile goodness for some reason..

10. Midnight09

Midnight09 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Why does everybody compare $60 home console Activision games with 50 million dollar budgets (like the Modern Warfare/CoD games) to Gameloft titles made for mobile platforms? It's not even a fair comparison.

For me, I personally think it's pretty damn amazing what Gameloft has brought to the platform. Does MC2 even compare to Modern Warfare 2 compared directly? Of course not. You are comparing a game with a top budget and high end home console hardware to a mobile game made for a fraction of the cost.

11. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #11 ImNoSuperMan, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    I'm not comparing them directly. I'm comparing activision with their offering on consoles and gameloft with their offerings on appstore. I think gameloft's appstore efforts are a lot better than activisions efforts which acc to this guy should start and end on pumping out a CoD a year. That sounds really lame to me. Ya, it makes money for them (more than the whole of appstore sales combined possibly) but to dismiss everything else including facebook, mobile gaming isnt really the smartest comment IMO. He's either too much of a genius or too short sighted. I think its the latter.

12. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Legendary Neogaf gif whenever Kotick says something epicly ridiculous:

[​IMG]

13. iPlayer3000

iPlayer3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    buyers

There is 2 ways to look at this and be right

1) Everytime gameloft , capcom , or any company brings games to IOS people start complaining oh its not as good as console. I have read so much whining and complaining its ridiculous. Games like splinter cell which I considered a great game , people here whine oh its too easy , oh the graphics arent good. Sometimes I think this isnt toucharcade but complainers heaven. I never seen people whine and complain so much . Do you think developers would want to work hard as heck , make a solid game, then get trashed even though the product is great ?

2) IOS has always been a place where independent developers have made games. Some good and some bad . Also because idie developers are here , its kept the prices down too. If IOS was taken over by big companies trust me you would be paying real top dollar $30-40 for premium games. Its better for the idie developers to make games for us than big companies.

14. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #14 dumaz1000, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    I've been saying this for years. It's the money. Activision is looking to sell 3 million copies of a console or PC game at 59.99 a piece. Call of Duty sold like 5.5 million copies in its first week, at 59.99. Being able to move however many copies of an appstore game at 4.99 a piece is, in the grand scope of things, irrelevant to Activision, and to many other so-called multi-platform console devs. The appstore is nothing more than a novelty and/or a curiosity, because the ceiling in terms of profit margin to so embarrassingly low. 9.99, best case scenario, and much more likely ranging somewhere between .99c and 4.99. It's a joke. It's completely laughable for Apple to honestly believe they can compete with the big boys.

iDevice owners are often too cheap, self-entitled, spoiled, unreasonable, and bratty for their own good, and that is the one thing that will always hold back true iOS advancement. You get what you pay for in life, or what you are willing to pay for. It's a very simple concept. A true console quality experience from a true console quality developer is going to cost a true console price, and this is a concept that seems to allude the majority of iDevice owners. You are not going to get a fully-featured iPhone verision of Gears of War, utilizing the Unreal Engine, for .99c or 4.99 or even 9.99. You're just not. The world doesn't work that way.

15. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    So your saying there is absolutely no complaining when it comes to console games?

16. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    You need to realize something!

It's funny because you guys don't realise that this is a step forward, in a sense. It doesn't matter what he said, the fact is that he actually considered iPhone gaming, and took time to speak about it. If he has to acknowledge it, it means we are doing something right, and the iPhone has caught his attention. Don't get me wrong, he is a retard for doubting iOS gaming, because so many people are on the platform, and if a console quality game (with a console price) came out, people would buy it. Because iOS gamers are spoiled, and we are used getting games for low prices. If a console like game did come out, with amazing graphics, free multiplayer, touch-controls, and portability for the iPhone, people would buy it. iPhone gamers and console gamers alike. Especially if it was a new title, and exclusive. He doesn't realise the potential of iPhone gaming, or even iPad gaming for that matter. People don't realize how fun it is to switch between apps and have a touch screen and listen to music and have free internet. So if big companies like activision tried to tell people to use the iPhone more, we would have console games on a small little device. Now THAT is the future.

17. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    I think people miss the point on price. Charging $60 for a game vs $10 doesn't mean that you are making 6 times as much money. There are massive cost differences, and once again, it makes the comparison between iOS and home console gaming pretty absurd.

The simple fact is that if there wasn't good money to be made in the App Store, then developers/publishers wouldn't bother supporting the platform. Yet, we continue to see more and more big name franchises and big players in the gaming world dip into this market.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There are massive cost differences, sure, but the amount of money to be made is on a completely different scale. The kind of money Activision is making on CoD:Zombies for the iPhone is basically little more than a rounding error on the massive Call of Duty console financial portfolio.

Bobby Kotick is more of a big picture kind of guy, like most CEO's, and at the end of the day... He's right. Until they can either move an insane amount of units on the App Store or pricing raises a bit, there's not much reason for them to invest in the App Store.

19. Midnight09

Nov 29, 2010
    The money most developers make on most games is peanuts compared to CoD. That's not just exclusive to the App Store.

20. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    The article develop the comparison with EA games and it's not about immediate future but about evolution and emerging market.

EA is learning and the learning cost is certainly quite ridiculous in comparison of big franchises income.

By their ignorance to a possibly emerging market, Activision seems quite unaware and lacking of an elemental sense of caution. They already bankrupt or almost as they have been bought not that many years ago, 2007.

With such lack of caution and vision they seem prepare a new failure and if Blizzard seems to be a very solid asset giving them a more solid base, even there it can evolve rather fast. Yeah I don't know anything about the future and the real business, just my 2 cents.