Are you getting an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Tommet, Feb 9, 2012.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yeah, either way we'll see on march 7 ; )

2. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Why the hostility?? We're talking about electronic entertainment devices/workstations here, no need to get nasty. Goofy's a great guy.

Looking forward to seeing iPad 3 with the retina display and stuff. I can only imagine how much the super-high resolution will benefit web browsing! What I'm not looking forward to, though, is how for a while every app will look ugly with upscaled pixels and poor blur filters until people slowly start adding retina support to their apps.

3. MagiCaleb

MagiCaleb Member

Dec 16, 2010
    If anybody follows macrumors.com, you may have seen the picture they posted about the graphics display on the iPad 3. In short, it will be significantly better than Blu-Ray, which I find pretty amazing.

I am definantly geting one, as I think it will be a good computer alternative for college for a while. Then I'll get a mac.

I did consider, though, getting the Transformer Prime with the keyboard attachment. 32Gb at $500 starting price was great, and the specs and it were even better. Personally, I think that the Transformer Prime is a lot better than the iPad 2, and will admit that I know there will be somethings it has that the iPad3 does not. I still can't bring my self, though, to not buy the iPad 3 when it comes out.

I'm excited.

4. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    #304 DistantJ, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Interesting dilemma! Well Android 3/4 is fantastic too, but it depends what you want from it! Since I switched to my Samsung tab, I've been really enjoying the advantages of Android on tablets, but I seriously miss the app store, since the Android Market is just a bloated mess of amateur rubbish. The 2048x1536 screen sounds epic, but remember that some Android tabs aren't that far off of it, and ask yourself how much of it you'll use. 1024x768 is netbook resolution, so it struggles with some sites, but the iPad 3 should render websites beautifully at that res - but on the other hand rarely are sites built for any bigger than 1280x800, and most Android tabs match that res. I mean if it's better than blu-ray, that's awesome, but how much of that will you benefit from on a 9" screen, if you get my drift?

The main advantage I can see with the retina display is web browsing in portrait - the sites will be perfectly clear in portrait now, with fully legible, sharp text, and you'll probably find yourself browsing websites in portrait more often than landscape which will mean a tonne of information on the screen at once.

For me iPad is all about the app store, that's what you're getting for your buck, so it depends how you use your tablets. If you want to indulge in great games and apps which you know will always work, definitely grab yourself an iPad. If you're more interested in computing on the go with great multitasking and such, grab yourself the Transformer.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If the display is really retina, that's going to make for some massive games, especially if they are bitmap graphics. Hopefully they bump up the storage capacity accordingly. Also I'm a tad worried that games which aren't retina for it will look like crap. I guess we will find out.

6. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    That's actually what the BlackBerry Playbook does - the bezel is touch sensitive for gestures and stuff. Not sure how well it works but I heard good things in reviews.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Being able to browse in portrait is definitely going to be a big plus. I'd rather use my iPad 2 in that orientation when browsing, the resolution just isn't up to the task (without zooming in/out, which gets old). Text is going to look amazing on it in either direction, just as it does on the iPhone 4/s. If we really are getting a retina display, it's going to be hard to resist upgrading. Hopefully games come out with HD... errr... what are they going to call it since they are currently using that to mean iPad optimized already?... graphics updates quickly.

8. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

I suppose univeral apps will look decent enough, but iPhone apps and SD videos...

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009