Best MFI Controller for Development(<$100)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rgbgamestudios, Oct 31, 2015.

1. rgbgamestudios

rgbgamestudios Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Engineer(Developer)
    Hey,

I am looking for an MFI controller which is compatible with iPhone6,iPad Air2 for developmental purposes.
    I am from india and am finding only old models in many online Stores here.

Best Regards,
    Ganesh Mamadapur.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I got a steel series one which I am happy with.

Don't bother with a cheap knock off they don't work unless you want to implement iCade (which doesn't have the same degree of control as the mFi controllers anyway.

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Seconded. We got a really cheap chinese controller that works in iCade mode only. it is flimsy, barely works, chews power etc. If you really want to support controllers then I think you should just invest in a decent controller. You can't be half pregnant.

4. rgbgamestudios

Oct 11, 2015
    Engineer(Developer)
    Thanks,
    I am looking at one of the steel series controllers.

Best Regards,
    Ganesh

5. sfjohansson

sfjohansson Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Male
    Game Developer
    London
    I use a "Mad Catz" C.T.R.L.i. which I got for a good price from a local electronics chain. It got good reviews and It's very small and therefore easy to carry around if you work form different locations.

6. Shadow Bug

Shadow Bug Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Atleast Unitys support on the iOS side on the Steel Series XL controller is pretty bad, almost nonexistent... Well I suppose it works well Xcode :D

7. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I always test on device! If you want to test in Unity you can use any USB controller. Just make sure you plug it in before opening Unity.

8. rgbgamestudios

Oct 11, 2015
    Engineer(Developer)
    Hey,
    Thanks for the suggestions I got the Stratus Xl and already integrated was pretty ok since. I had already integrated an Xbox controller on Windows side .

But the painful part was the UI support :)
    You guys need help integrating controllers using Xcode you can Pm me

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #9 bigrand1, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Hmmm. I've been looking at bluetooth wireless controllers and I'm interested in one that works with both Android and IOS, lately been looking at the Nes30 Pro, but I've heard it only works with iCade like you said for IOS and also doesn't work with hardly any games, so that sucks! Been looking at that little steel series stratus controller, but from what I understand, it doesn't work for BOTH either. Only one or the other. I'd love to find one of these controllers that work well with both Android and IOS so I could use it with my iPad and phone! Oh, it also needs to have two thumbsticks. Regardless, they STILL won't work with EVERY game. Why the hell is this too much to ask for?!
    Anyways, do any of you know any of these that is any good that works good for both? I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction regarding this!!

10. rgbgamestudios

Oct 11, 2015
    Engineer(Developer)
    You are out of luck with this situation, all the good ones (Steel Series and MadCatz ones) have separate ones for iOS and Android.

I have the Steel Series Stratus XL and I find the battery performance and joystick is very responsible, but it does not a phone holder.
    I have heard a lot of good things about the MadCatz controllers too, they have a phone holder.

I am assuming you have an iPad?,
    PS4 Fan - Steel Series Stratus XL
    Xbox One Fan- MadCatz Controller

I did research on rest of them and they fall short in many cases. These 2 controllers are your best bet :)