iOS / Android games - What do YOU play?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bbrtki, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bbrtki

bbrtki New Member

May 10, 2013
    Ok, so the android and iOS gaming scene is actually pretty huge.
    Some games have a million or more players. (*shocked*)
    I've been playing some RPGs, Puzzles, CCG and a variety of other time wasters.
    (Currently most active in Defender of Texel, see below.)

And, I'm curious what you're playing.

Everyone has heard of Angry birds, Plants vs Zombies and Candy Crush by now,. surely?
    But, what about the slightly less known - but still amazing games?
    What do you play?

Free games are preferred obviously - but lately I've seen iOS ports of classic Commodore, sega, and nintendo games being released.
    Sadly at a rate of 5-15$ which is,. a bit excessive for games you can play for free on your PC... Still, some of them offer big improvements / new graphics and sounds, extra levels. It's worth taking a look to see if you can find some of your favorite classic games.
    e.g. Secret of mana, Alien breed and even final fantasy and Worms!

At any rate, I'd like to recommend you look at:
    * Jelly Splash - if you like candy crush, you'll enjoy this one. Personally I find it to be better / more fun. But it has some drawbacks as well, such as mandatory facebook integration if you want to get past level 60 / 80. And it's iOS only currently.
    * Defender of Texel (as above) - ios and android. If you've played games such as guardian cross, spellstorm, hellfire, dark summoner, rage of bahamut, deity wars, etc. You'll be familiar with the RPG/CCG genre to collect cards, evolve them, and then use them for PVP or missions/events. DoT really stands out of the crowd because of it's systems, frequent events, method of growing cards and graphics. It's well worth a try. Feel free to use my code "NGaF" if you decide to try it later. You can enter the code after defeating the first boss for a nice bonus. We both get a little bonus, a rare monster which is never a bad thing since you can trade it later.
    * Motor world - Car Garage. It's a collectible game which allows you to build cars, manage a car factory, upgrade your cars and then use them to race vs your friends. There's a wiki page for it as well, if you want to look around the graphics: http://motorworld.wikia.com/wiki/Motor_World_Wiki - The game has a very classic feel to it. It has some stability issues which might deter some users, but if you got a fast phone the game will also perform better. And support is unlike any other - fast and friendly.
    * Clash of Clans - originally based off the popular flash game "backyard monsters". You build a base, you upgrade the buildings, and 1 minute becomes 2 minutes, becomes 15, 1 hour, 4 hours, 1 day, 1 week to wait for such upgrades. Normally such games entertain me for 2-3 days before I realize,. "damn, they did it to me again",. and quit in rage because i fell for the age old joke that such games always are. Not this one though,. yes it does take an age to upgrade the top level buildings. BUT, unlike all the others this game has balanced it perfectly in between the ability to get more resources, attack other players, gain an automatic shield when attacked, the ability to hire extra workers by completing achievements, and a friendly clan system. If you ever rage quit a similar game like me - TRY THIS ONE. You won't regret it.
    * Bad piggies - a puzzle game, kind of popular, and i think it's from the creators of angry birds.
    * Beasty bay - if you're into pokemon like games - try this one. It's an rpg/adventure/evolve monsters game which works very similar. Don't be discouraged if you mis-place some buildings early on, you'll be able to destroy them later and replace them.
    * Plants vs zombies 2 - the sequel, I haven't touched it much yet, but heck, it's the same game as far as ive seen so far. Just with egyptian zombies / mummies as well. It's free, so grab it.

Give me your suggestions! :)

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I believe this thread should be under General Game Discussion as this area is for specific games.

I think you'll find the majority of users here favor premium games that do not feature IAP.

I have enjoyed my fair share of free games however free titles that lean heavy on IAP I do not care for, particularly consumable IAP (not permanent). I've played DOT and thought it was kind of neat but it wasn't enough to keep me going for long. Beastie Bay I actually bought before it went free. I spent a good amount of time with that one. The only free game I am currently enjoying is Giant Boulder of Death by Pik Pok.

Current premium games I'm really digging right now are Ancient Rome by Hunted Cow Studios, 868-Hack, Mecho Wars, and of course Warhammer Quest.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree many of those games are heavy in IAPS. Not keen on most of those suggestions.

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Battle nations is better than clash of clans. It has actual gameplay

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I recently (and rather brutally) hacked down the number of games on my iPad. Still remaining are:

Angry Birds Star Wars
    Bad Piggies
    Badland
    Smash Bandits
    Bike Baron
    Bloons TD 5HD
    Draw Something (Come to think of it, shoulda deleted that)
    Dynamite Jack
    International Snooker 2012
    Junk Jack X
    Lead Wars Link-a-Pix
    The Little Crane That Could
    Zynga Poker (Not fond of it, but multiplayer poker games are hard to find)
    Siege Hero HD
    SlotZ Racer
    Spectaculator
    Terraria True Skate
    Zen Pinball

Ace Patrol
    Bingo Blitz
    Blendoku
    Brogue
    Can Knockdown 3
    Coaster Crazy
    Cubemen 2
    Danmaku Unlimited 2
    Frozen Synapse
    Joe Danger
    Liquid Sketch
    Metal Slug X
    Pilot's Path
    QatQi
    rRootage
    Super Stickman Golf 2
    Vector HD
    Video Poker
    Where's My Water?
    Warhammer Quest

6. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I mainly play the ones posted in my signature box. Basically they are a the game apps currently loaded to my device, which changes regularly.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Er.. the ones in the first post are mostly IAP infested freemium.

I want to suggest some games, but im wondering how much you are willing to spend on games?

8. I am thinking of getting an android phone this cycle due to the size of the screen, kinda want a 5 inch screen, so maybe android it is. Maybe.

9. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I highly suggest you do a search of available games/apps on Google Play store before doing so. I usually compare whats available with my buddy on his Android and they don't have half the stuff available. Not to mention a less dependable OS and a Market that will not bring up a direct search of games/apps. (ridiculous) What I usually say is software before hardware, sure the phone may be much larger, but if you don't have the software to fully enjoy that phone, what's the point? I came from Android and I'm not looking back. Due for an upgrade this month, looking at a new 5 or 5s. :cool:

Of course this is just my input, maybe you have other reasons why you want a larger screen. I'm not a hater. :p

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^i believe Connector has an ipad, and getting an android phone in addition to that would actually increase the number of apps he'll have access to.

11. bbrtki

bbrtki New Member

May 10, 2013
    Not sure if it's wise to compare istore vs google play, but I'm having a really hard time finding specific games in the android store,.
    How do people get around all the "guides and cheat guides" that show up in the list with the same name as the game? It's quite frustrating.

You're correct that is really is frustrating...
    I'm wondering what Microsoft will do now that they've taken over the Nokia market as well.
    I dread it might be worse than the google market in a few months.

12. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    #12 Gov, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Android store lacks loads of games, my brother always complains and suffers that I have all these magnificent games on my iPhone and in the app store.

BUT... I do envy the beautiful panel of his note 2. When I compare the two side by side, the iPhone 5's screen and display color look terrible in comparison. Games on his screen look visually better, with deeper blacks/whites, color, sounds etc.

But... The experience of games on his device, is horrific! Reason:
    Too many ADS!!!
    Yes, an advert can pop-up mid-game, randomly which shatters the experiences when playing great titles. Even premium games have the same issue to a certain extent.

Plus, the apps are blurry (like stretched) no retina display. On iPhones .. They look sharper (no pixels) and iPhone (surprisingly) loads graphic rich titles faster than the note 2 can.. Although the note 2 has a better processor & ram than iPhone 5. But that is due to the fact.. iPhone & iOS work well together, and both are optimised much better then android and to hardware components.

If you want the best gaming experience on smartphones & tablets... Get an iPhone or iPad. But if you want a better display for a phone, get an android phone... But for tablets... Strictly get iPad over android tabs.

The worst thing is... My brother who was an iPhone 4S user before his Note 2, wants his iPhone back! He misses everything about it, especially the smoother gaming experience.

13. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I'm not sure why it is unwise to compare the two.

As far as things now showing up that you search for, that is by design on googles part. You can type in the exact name of a game or app and if it doesn't have the metrics needed to show, it won't. I believe they go by how many reviews or a minimum download limit but I'm just pulling that out of my @ss. I do know that it's a real thing though. Perhaps they have some good reason to do it, but it would frustrate me.

14. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah for sure. One big issue with Android is that there so many different phones running different versions. So that makes apps more difficult to develop and optimize.

I agree that Android phones, primarily Samsung, are super sexy. I get that thrown in my face enough. :p Really it comes down to each individual person and how they use their phone. (practicing my wireless sales pitch :D)