Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I think Real Racing (not RE2) came before Death Rally but don't quote me on that.

I've had my share of driving games with drastic under steer that required the sensitivity to be cranked up just to be playable (well, by me anyway) so I wasn't expecting to want to turn the sensitivity down, but worked a treat for me. Getting best tires also helps on dirt.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The Steer Sensitivity setting is not the issue. I have the Steer Sensitivity on 0% and don't find it to be any different when I turn it to 100% in terms of how my car responds to a slight tap. Whether it's on 0 or 100, the cars still have a jolt and end up turning farther than they should.

3. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, turning down the sensitivity doesn't really help with just tapping, and yes, even tapping can turn the car too much (though I don't usually end up perpendicular to the road :p).

I like Death Rally's controls - they feel really good. I want to be able to use the steering control scheme like I do in that game, but RR2's steering wheel/half wheel just don't feel right. Mainly too sensitive as well, but it also just felt...odd.

4. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Death Rally doesn't impress me one bit in terms of racing. I never feel like I am accelerating. I just like how RR1 played, with the ability to micro-tap and I am praying the first update for RR2 addresses the sensitive controls.

I'm also waiting for Pixelbite to chime in here on what we've been talking about :D

5. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Heh, well for me, DR isn't about the racing - it's about the carnage. :) (well ok, the racing matters too, for the money)

6. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I think see what you mean about the tap sensitivity, even with the setting turned down. It can be tough to aim straight down a straightaway without sometimes "fishtailing". Not a deal breaker for me by any means, but I think this is what you are getting at? Would be nice if it were ironed out in an update.

I'm also not sure if it is the same in RR1 - just fewer long straits in RR1 and more dirt turns to slide around so its not as noticeable.

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #427 SumoSplash, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    The carnage in that game is definitely it's hallmark. I just wish I felt like I was accelerating. The forward motion has a 'sludge effect,' where I feel like there is an anchor attached to the back of my car.

Exactly to all the above except that the inability to aim straight whenever you want without the car jerking to the side (fishtailing) and not being able to control your car as well as you could be is (while not a complete 'deal breaker') a very legitimate concern. Coming out of a drift around a curve going from dirt to pavement and trying to regain control and get straight is a great way to test what I've been talking about. Hell, just maintaining control on pavement in general can be a tedious task.

You can do more pinpoint turns in RR1 because it is more forgiving and you can micro-tap.

8. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Just started playing the arcade mode with buttons, pulled up from the bottom, and sensitivity at 30%... works like a charm for me. Really enjoying it.

9. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Hey ok I can't get into this game I find it really dumb in 15 mins of playing I maxed my stats out, what's so great about this game? If its the gameplay I'm not sold and it's not my taste, does this get better?

10. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Maxed out your stats? You mean purchased all the upgrades for the first car? If so, that would be impressive for 15 minutes of playing. The game is about 2 things - the racing and the car progression (not just the upgrades, but buying new cars too). I guess if neither of those interest you, then yeah, not for you.

11. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    #431 eAdvisory, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    I Agree with your post and i must add that. markku, you probably had a pretty good idea of what RR2 was all about. I really dont know why you purchased it since it's not your taste. I dont know how thourough you are with your purchases.

12. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Um... What grade are you in? :D

13. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #433 SumoSplash, Feb 29, 2012
    I just wanted to chime in some other thoughts on the game since all I've been doing is harping on the controls.

Graphically, this game is something else. I've been taking my car around some of these courses real slow and just admiring the scenery. The attention to detail is out of this world and there was some serious thought put into the environments. Very impressive. The music on the other hand... eh?

The features in general are very nice. Everything from the customizable button size to the assortment of assists (thank GOD for Chase Camera mode) to 'Single Event' mode, where I really like Hot Lap. Hot Lap is nice because you get the other cars out of the mix and really get to try out the tracks without distraction. I often find that the other cars interrupt the extra concentration that I have to devote to dealing with the controls.

And in terms of the controls, I wanted to point out something new I noticed. When I was strolling around the boards sucking in the sights, I came to a complete stop and tapped the gas very gently just to keep my car rolling. While steering at this very low rate of speed you can move left to right and the car moves left to right slowly too, no jerking. Now of course this is obviously because the car is moving so slowly, but it is important to notice that when the speed increases that the sensitivity of the controls really kicks in.

The point being is that it is nice to actually be able to experience this, touching left and not having the car swing widely to the left.

14. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #434 SumoSplash, Feb 29, 2012
    By the way... is it possible to delete posts on this forum?

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I played around with adjusting the controls and perhaps I'm in the minority, but I wish they'd just fix them instead of me having to fiddle with moving and resizing and trying to get them the same size and in the right positions and.... At least offer a few pre-set options we can just choose instead of all this fiddling.

16. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Yeah but it's better than not having enough options for customization. Better to spend extra time fiddling than to be frustrated with not enough choices.

17. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I was having tons of problems running this game under 5.0.1, on my iPod Touch, 4th gen. It just kept crashing, and wouldn't even load a race. I sent crash logs to PolarBit, and they determined that it was a memory issue with the iPod Touches that wasn't easily solvable due to the game's size. To my great surprise, when I updated to 5.1 I was finally able to run this game! It required a cold boot, but I was able to run 7 races in a row, with no problems!

So if you're having problems running this game, try upgrading your iOS to 5.1. It certainly made a difference on my iPod Touch 4th gen!

18. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    + 1, particularly in online multiplayer fishtail for a second and it's over you can go from 2nd to 4th very quickly.

19. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    #439 WCFields, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
    post deleted

20. Mr. Grizzly

Mr. Grizzly Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    What is the difference in using the sports tires and the racing tires? The higher priced ones give you way better handling, but the index on your car is lower - the medium priced tire gives you way less handling, but a higher index racing. On a practical basis, how will each set of tires affect my racing?