Jet Car Stunts 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by unbrokenchain33, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    #121 AbsolutePhenom, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    I just bought JCS today after reading this thread and there are a few things I would like to see changed in JCS2. First off if you fail to get the the first check point in a level and have to go back to the beginning it shouldn't count as retry. Because you can just press pause and start over with 0 retrys and still be at the same spot. It would be less of a pain if you didn't have to do that. Second I would like to see the developers focus on newer devices and bump up the graphics A LOT. Obviously this game is 3 years old now but when I first played it the first thing I thought was how outdated it looked. Thirdly I would like the tracks to look better, maybe realistic looking tracks but still floating with the huge jumps and everything. I just don't like the looks of the random floating shapes. I think it would look a lot better if it actually looked some what like a track instead of just random pieces thrown together. And lastly better physics! For example when you crash don't just have the car smash into a bunch of pieces, etc. Anyways I'm glad I bought the first one and I'm looking forward to the second one!

2. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    The thing I would love, LOVE to have in the sequel is for the restart button to be extremely accessible to reach, probably included in the UI. I try to go for medals in the first game, and having to pause and restart gets to be a pain

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Powerfully looking forward to seeing any type of footage, as soon as it gets done - I've been wishing for this game for so long, and know you'll build in amazing quality and polish. :)

4. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    I might just hold off until after GDC.

5. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    ^^ meh. Sweet laundry list of demands.

6. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Those are things that I would like to see in the game. JCS is 3 years old now. They obviously need to have some improvements in JCS2. With such great quality games already out on the app store and coming out, if this new game doesn't improve on those things it could easily get over looked by a lot of people. Like I said before when I first played JCS's the other day it felt extremely dated.

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I'll be getting JCS2 even if it looks exactly like the original (though I'm sure it'll be much improved). I've played thousands of iPhone games over the past three or four years, and I think the only game that has a chance of knocking Jet Car Stunts from my #1 favorite status is its successor.

8. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think at least we will be changing the way retries at the first checkpoint are counted in JCS2. This worked the same way as Track Mania, and it was felt important at the time because there are only 3 checkpoints per level. We never wanted to change it later on because of it would stuff up the ordering difficulty of the levels, but this will probably change in JCS2.

Might consider an button in the options menu to change the retry button to a restart button. We never had enough room in the options menu to add anything in JCS, but we have a scrolling options menu in JCS2.

The level editor graphics are going to look very different. I'm worried about whether people will like them or not, it is going to be another quite simple style... but very reflective.

The main game graphics will look very similar. It is the style of the game and it doesn't want to be changed, however, the cars will be nice and shiny, the lighting will be higher res, there will be more detail in the tracks, but the basic style will be very similar. Not everybody loved the style, but overall we got extremely positive feedback regarding the look of JCS.

Crash physics... not sure about this... more likely to make explode more;) Actually, it's pretty lucky there is smash physics in there at all.

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    1. Similar looking style - Thumbs up to that. The look was fabulous and unique. If I want to look at real looking race tracks, I will play Real Racing happily.

2. Exploding Cars - Who doesn't like that?

3. A way to restart the game more easily than make tapping all over the place will be really appreciated.

4. Editors are tough to make. Good part is that for JCS, there are only fixed obstacles and a car, so in that sense it should be a little simpler.

5. Out with the game already. Cant wait :)

10. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #130 xStatiCa, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Wow. How did I miss this thread. JCS is one of my favorite games of all time. It has been in my sig forever. It is right up there with Frontier Elite 2 for me. The idea of finding shortcuts or just doing your own thing in the levels and seeing where you can jump the car to is what really differentiates this game for me than any other race game. Well that and the physics seem to be the perfect amount of realism.

Some thoughts...

I wonder if the ipad3 will scale up the retina graphics from the JCS 1 iphone app or if it will scale up the really low res non-retina graphics. It seems to make more sense to stretch the retina graphics from an iphone only app if they have them instead of scaling up the non-retina graphics to 2048x1536. I guess I will find out Friday how that will work.

UPDATE: The iPad gen 3 review by Macworld mentions that they do use the retina iPhone graphics for iPhone only apps on the iPad gen 3. Sweet! I will get to play JCS 1 with better resolution on the iPad gen 3.

UPDATE2: The iphone retina graphics do show up on the retina ipad gen 3 device. It is still letterboxed but at least we get a higher resolution on the ipad 3 than what we got before. Sweet!

When you do release JCS2 I think you should have a level creation contest that users can submit and win something to help promote the game and help get more people creating levels in the beginning.

JCS2 will be a first day purchase for me. If you make a physical plush JCS car or T-Shirt I would buy them too :).

11. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    There where some t-shirts made for an OpenFeint competition a long time ago. My brother told me that one of his work mates showed up to work wearing one after winning. It's such a small world.

12. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yep I still wear my sweatshirt around :p

[​IMG]

13. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    As do I :D

14. Happycamper95

Happycamper95 New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Utah - United States
    Just going to jump in here...

You know, I really like how (to my knowlage) the Jet Car Stunts Community is pretty small. There's a lot more interaction with the costumers.

Anyways, a few small comments that are basically the same as others.

A plush or real Jet Car stunts toy would be pretty awesome.

I personally really like the blocky, basic shapes and color of JCS. They're actually quite aesthetic. It's also not like any other style I've seen. It is unique. I'll be happy with the current style.

Exploding cars are just fine with me. It's fun going too fast and accedentelly smashing into a block and exploding. :)

JCS is easily my favorite game. Can't wait for JCS 2.

Quick question:
    Will there ever be a Jet Car Stunts shirt? I kind of want a shirt now. :)

And another quick question. Could JCS possibly be multiplayer? Racing against a friend would be fun or messing around in freestyle would be fun too.

15. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I remember winning one of those, too bad it never arrived. Probably someone in customs over here got it. Lucky b******

16. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    #136 luketrueaxis, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    I've delayed finishing off the level editor video a little bit after GDC then easter. The graphics in the level editor look very different to the rest of the game, so I might have to add something to show how the rest of the game looks too.

Given things have been going slowly, I've been doing a bit of planning and have realized that there is still a lot to do to get this finished and will have to start working harder. It's looking like its going to arrive in the 3rd quarter at earliest.

I've got all the new cars graphics updated for Open Gl 2.0 shaders working now and all looking good with no problems, and just finished making them breakable.

Now I am putting in all the car sounds.

There is a full set of levels now that I need to evaluate to see how much polish or reworking will be necessary. In JCS1 I did all the levels my self, but this time they have mostly been outsourced. I think I might have to make some changes to get in some more of my ideas that missed out.

That sucks. Wish I could help you out with that, but OpenFeint where handling all that. I've never seen one of the hoodies my self, I just designed JCS logo.

[Update 16th April 2012]
    I got all the sounds in for the cars now, but still need to tweak gears positions. I've been spending half my time on Admin work too though. I don't understand where all this paperwork keeps coming from:(

17. Tmsunrise

Tmsunrise Member

May 2, 2012
    4s exceptions??

I don't want To put pressure on true axis. I am completely fine and don't want you guys to rush.

My suggestions: maybe make an exclusive jetcarstunts 2 for the 4s. You could make an universal version and the 4s version. The 4s version can have the better crash physics thing and better jet afterburner thingy you mentioned but dropped because of non-a5 devices. There could also be in generally, better graphics. I also hope you guys add some levels there are extreme like the bought level pack in jcs1( especially impossible a). I'm also one of the few people who found the secret cheat menu in the first game. I hope you add one to jsc2 too. the 4s version can include the iPad 2 and 3 also. I also agree true axis should drop 1st and 2nd gen. They need to be kicked out of the stone age. I
    Also assume the game will need at least iOS 4 and there is no point trying to integrate it to cave men. A MESSAGE TO 1 and 2 GEN USERS! STOP BEING CHEAP AND GET A NEW IDEVICE ALREADY!!

Thank you for considering my proposal.

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW THE CHEAT MENU FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.
    First go all the way back to the main menu. Touch the far upper left corner of your screen. Then touch the far bottom right corner of the screen. Then touch the corner above that and finally the last corner. Make sure you don't do it too fast or too slow. It won't work. NOTE: it will take multiple tries for some people

18. Tmsunrise

Tmsunrise Member

May 2, 2012
    So when are you releasing? And tweaking gears as in cars will have gears, like stick shift? Can't wait

19. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    His post above mentioned third quarter. Out of all the games on all platforms to be released this is my second most important release that I am monitoring. Elite 4 is the first which will probably never be release. Third is GTA V. Yea... I like this game more than GTA V and for me that says a lot because GTA IV is up there for me.

20. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Eh, it's cool. Nothing can be done about it now. Maybe the next time around I'll win again :) That is if you plan on having another contest with JCS 2