is the iPod Touch 5 worth getting?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rocka, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Rocka

Rocka Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Sorry if this isn't in the right forum but i needed some advice.
    I've had an iPhone 4 (32GB) as mi main and only iDevice for 3 years now and feel like an update is long overdue, but i don't have the money for an iPhone 6 or one of the newest iPads. So i thought that maybe i could get something to be my main gaming iOS device while keeping the iPhone 4 as my phone and what not. The thing with my (for now) pick is that i don't know if with the iPod Touch 5 i'm going to get least a couple of years of good-not-entirely-obsolete use. Why not buying something newer you say? Well some used iTouch 5 with 64GB are around 300-350 usd where i live, while the iPhone 5 with 32GB is at least 450-500 bucks and then of course everything newer keeps getting more expensive as you go.

So in short, i was looking for some advice. Anyone currently uses an iPod Touch 5? or had one and have negative or positive thoughts? If i bought something "cheap" now maybe i can go a year or two without updating and when i do i could finally get a new iPhone but until then i wouls appreciate any advice on the best balance cheap-quality-durability, or the next best thing.

Thanks in advance!

2. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The iPhone 4s Is getting ios 9 , if I'm not wrong.
    The iPod 5 is a really good buy, but even the 4s isn't obsolete yet.

3. Rocka

Rocka Member

Oct 18, 2014
    thanks for the reply! my worry isn't that it's already "obsolete" today (even without first hand experience with it i guess that isn't the case) but that a year from now i'll see myself with something that already feels really dated.

4. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    #4 indalico, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    A new 6th gen iPod costs less than the 'used' 5th gen devices OP mentioned. With the newer model, I couldn't see getting the older one.

5. supafly129

supafly129 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say go for 6th Gen iPod Touch if you can. I believe it has more RAM than the 5th Gen and less and less games are supporting the older devices

6. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I also suggest taking a look at the 6th gen Touch being it would be a good choice over the 5th gen. I own the 6th gen and its my main "on the go" gaming device while using a cheaper phone just for calls. Although its sort of a trade off not being able to play some of the older games (why I've still got the 4th gen w/ older iOS ver.), you'll be assured of playing most of the newer games for a few seasons and hopefully by then the newer iphone will be available to you or if inclined stick with just using a Touch device (hopefully if still being made) for any future gaming.

7. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    IpT6 costs $200, $250, $300, and $400 for 16, 32, 64, and 128 GB capacities. New

If you can get an IpT5 for far cheaper than those prices above (minimum at least 50% off, as used devices are worse off vs. new ones), i'd say go for it. Otherwise, just get an IpT6. Better processor, more RAM, 64-bit architecture, and better GPU make it much better for gaming. The better camera is also nice.

That said, I've been using IpT since the 3rd gen. I'm sticking with my IpT5 b/c I wanted a larger screen (4.7" or 5.5"). In fact, my previous upgrades have been b/c of an improved screen. Without that, the other reasons aren't compelling enough for me to upgrade to 6th gen. My battery needs to be charge much more often (it's running on 2 years), but for casual gaming, it still works out great. However, I'm still on ios7, as I don't want to risk ios8 nor ios9 running too slowly. These days, I play games on Steam for more "heavy" or "serious" stuff. I still have a backlog of games there too :(

8. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

My advice is to keep saving a while longer. Why rely on a second device to play stuff that your phone wont? Here's whats going to happen:

You plunk down money for an ipod Touch
    You have to keep using the iPhone4 for another few years because you blew all your phone buying money.
    You end up with some low end android phone because you can't stand having a 5 year old phone any more.

If you're already okay with owning an iphone4 for the next year or two, just keep saving. the iphone 6 and 6+ are the bees knees. Seriously.