Best way to market/promote a trivia/quiz game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by originalcopy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    #1 originalcopy, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Hi, so like the topic title says, I'm working on a trivia-like game for the iphone. It's mostly text-driven, with questions asked in a quiz-like way. I'm thinking this kind of game wouldnt appeal too much to the audience that likes Eliminate or Nova, so I'm asking your kind input. What other audience would probably be interested in this game? I was thinking since this game would help people with question answering maybe students studying for their ACTs/SATs would find it useful. Would you think so, and if so, where could I promote this app to them? I thought about promoting it as something to play "when you are taking a break from those graphically intensive games" sort of app. What do you think?

thank you!

2. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #2 Austin:], Mar 8, 2010
    It would probably appeal to casual gamers like myself that like good games at a cheap price. A good way to promote your app would be to ask reviewers (Like Myself) to review your app and send them a promo code!:D

I do play hardcore games occasionaly and I love the "Break from intensily graphical games" idea, very new concept on an iPhone promotion.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    People who like Game Shows/Board Games, maybe?

4. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ah, well, alright then, I'll ask reviewers here to please review my game, and I'll be sending a promo code your way when it's released. :D I am going for a cheap price, but how much aproximately would that be? I was shooting for the $1.99 pricetag. Didnt want to go for the 0.99$ one, at least not for the initial release.

Hmm, thank you, i was thinking about advertising this app along that idea of a some sort of relief or break from the graphical tour de force games. Something that you can play at your leisure in some sort of crossword puzzle way. But im not so sure how to nail it precisely like that.

5. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Do you have any idea what % of the gaming iphone population likes those types of games?

6. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #6 Austin:], Mar 8, 2010
    Okay, That would be great. By the way. I read in one of my Mac/Life magazines today that over 80% of iPhone/iPod Touch users buy 0.99$ games, while the other 20% is 1.99$ and up. Just a little statistic to be aware of too help you out on what you want the price too be. Also, a lot of developers usually put out there game for 0.99$ for a few days as a promotion that says "Get it while it's cheap!" and then they move it up to the initial price, which in your case would be 1.99$. This seems to work since people want to grab it quicky before the price goes up.

7. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Yea, good idea, i think I'll do that 0.99$ promotion "while supplies last!" :D I like that line, since supplies here actually dont run out. :p Nicereview site you have, I'll send you my game for your review too!

8. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah start it at 1.99 then go down to .99, people like to complain if the price goes down and won't buy if it goes up. I think the complaining froma few is the better decision.

9. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    You raise an interesting point. But would you say if the price goes up from .99 to 1.99 more people wouldnt buy it than the people who would complain if it starts at 1.99 and goes down to .99? Damn, this seems more difficult than i believed. :p So if it starts at 1.99 would people complain about being ripped off when the price comes down lets say a month later to .99? Maybe to counter that I would make it .99 to new buyers for a "standard" version, and those who already have it would get "upgrades", like more trivia, an improved UI, and such for free.

If the price starts at .99 and then it goes to 1.99, would that increase stop sales cold? :confused:

10. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Well, as a follow up to this my first app on the appstore, I think i found a good way to promote it. Plese let me know if you think it's a good idea or it's not. Since it's a mostly text-based app, maybe it would be of interest to those who download lots of ebooks to read them on their iphones. I was thinking advertising my app somewhere along the ipad and it's big ibookstore catalog promotion ads, maybe it would interest them to play a little trivia game in between them getting their ebooks. Anyone think that's a good strategy?

11. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Oh, as some sort of preview of my app, here an in-game screenshot of my app, only for TA.

Any comments? :)

Attached Files:

12. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I think the phrases that should be fitting into the sentence aren't really fitting.

"Could not express" I think you should add "his ideas". Dunno, feels kind of disjointed at the moment.

13. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ah yes. The screenshot is somewhat not complete. The answer sentences are cut in half. Should be "could not express herself well." and such. The screenshot is mostly to show the UI, and such. :)

14. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    If you have a high quality product getting good reviews from review sites like this one is arguably the best form of advertising.
    If you were going to pay for advertising the ebook idea will probably get you the most visibility, but is it really directed at your target audience? Would someone purchasing Sherlock Holmes be interested in your app? Just food for thought - as someone who does marketing for a living - I think you should rethink that strategy.

As far as the screenshot goes, lined pages with text is ok but a little bland. I'd animate page turns, maybe throw in a few more features that don't directly involve your quiz game (maybe make the bottom half of the page doodleable? Letting people draw little one color whatsits) or some more ingenious ideas.

15. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Hmm, yeah, I didnt consider that. Maybe it would be more appropiate to go for the crossword solving puzzle crowd instead. Thank you for your appreciation! :)

I hadnt thought about adding more stuff not related to the actual quiz game. The page animation definitely will be implemented. I like the idea of making the game doodleable. I'll see what I can add.

Thank you again! :D

16. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Alright, my game is finally ready to submit to the Appstore. However, there's a situation with the game itself, and I would very much like your input on it. I hired a programmer to work on it for me, and he sent me the complete source code. Very fast, reliable guy I may add. Anyways, he told me that to send the game to Apple for consideration, I need to compile the source myself and send the resulting binaries to apple, since at compile time the app is signed with my own license. Now, I have an Apple Developer License, but I dont have an actual mac to compile this on. Do i have to compile the source code myself to send my game? And if so, what are my possible solutions?

thank you!

BTW, here's another screenshot:

Attached Files:

17. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Ok, so, I'm about ready to submit my game to Apple for approval. But im not certain as to what name to submit it under. So I would like your kind input on this. I'm submitting as myself, I havent started a legal company name, an LLC or such, so should I put under company name just my own name in the application upload field? Or is that just for displaying a name on the AppStore , so it would be ok to put any name there?

18. marywalker

marywalker New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Trivia Review

Hi Austin,

My company has been building it's trivia games up and we are now up to 4 different trivia games. Do you review many games? I can provide you with promo codes if one is of more interest to you. We have Right Right Wrong which is general trivia but you have to pick the wrong answer instead of the right one. We also have Genius Trivia, Fast Food Trivia and UFC Trivia. Slogan trivia will be out in 2 weeks.

Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!
    [email protected]

Right Right Wrong
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/right-right-wrong-trivia-challenge/id500915495?mt=8

Genius Trivia
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/genius-trivia-challenge/id549342902?mt=8

Fast Food Trivia
    https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/shocking-fast-food-trivia/id597249964?mt=8