Browsing subcategories on iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Frungi, May 23, 2012.

1. Frungi

Frungi Active Member

Since the iPad's App Store app is dumb about this, I'm looking for an app or iOS-friendly website that lets you browse and search the App Store by game genre (or by other app subcategories). Any suggestions? All I get from Googling are forum threads complaining about the iPad's inability to do so.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hmmm, so I can actually browse subcategories on my iPad, and I'm not really sure what you mean. However, when it comes to alternatives to the AppStore, there are really only 2 worthwhile options afaik, AppShopper and AppZapp. AppShopper does not seem to allow browsing by subcategory while AppZapp does. However, as I said, I can browse subcategories in the AppStore on my iPad (go to games from featured or categories, then tap the "games" button at the top to choose a genre) so I don't think I'd recommend getting a separate app of you just want that feature. If you want to track apps for updates and sales however, both the apps I mentioned are good.

3. Frungi

Frungi Active Member

D'oh... Thanks. Yeah, this is what I meant, and I missed that. Still can't search within subcategories, though. But thanks for pointing out AppZapp—I think I may replace AppShopper.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The main thing that annoys me is I haven't figured out how to looks at the "top 200" apps in each subcategory on the iPad. I can do it on the iPod touch's AppStore app...

5. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah it's a bit counterintuitive. The "popular" tab once you reach a subcategory view is actually featured games. To see the whole list of most popular, you have to go to the "release date" tab and then switch the sorting to "most popular".

6. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    The app store desperately needs an update with ios6. It is so clunky and convoluted.